Any recommendations for a breed to guard a small holding? Would be loose within the fence and live there full time. Permission has just been granted for a permanent site very close by and I think a bit of additional security would be good. Got to be something that can be trusted with stock though. One of the livestock guardian breeds maybe? I have literally zero experience with guard dogs

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few months back my lad was getting picked on by a couple of little pricks.. retaliated and gave the one kid a good slap...day later as he was coming in the front door,someone asked him if his parents

One that got me looked similar to this, same eyes an all

best guard dog i ever seen was a border collie dog used to guard the yard next to the farm i used to ferret on it was one evil sneaky cant of a dog was ok with the farmer and his lads but any one else

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Tyla said:

Any recommendations for a breed to guard a small holding? Would be loose within the fence and live there full time. Permission has just been granted for a permanent site very close by and I think a bit of additional security would be good. Got to be something that can be trusted with stock though. One of the livestock guardian breeds maybe? I have literally zero experience with guard dogs

Get an Anatolian Shepherd or something similar. 

15 minutes ago, Tyla said:

Caucasian ovcharca.Naturally territorial and happy to live outdoors all year round and not rank dominant so dont need an overly experienced handler.Pretty relaxed too so dont need constant stimulation like some of the more driven herding breeds.

• Like 2

The caucasian and central asians seem to be good on a territory but there abit big to handle and will bark at literally anything before ya know it you aint overly paying attention to the dog. Good old german shepherd hard to beat i think but might go through a few before ya get a goodun.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, C.green said:

The caucasian and central asians seem to be good on a territory but there abit big to handle and that i think. Good old german shepherd hard to beat i think but might go through a few before ya get a goodun.

He doesn't really need to handle it as it will be living inside the holding. 

7 minutes ago, C.green said:

The caucasian and central asians seem to be good on a territory but there abit big to handle and will bark at literally anything before ya know it you aint overly paying attention to the dog. Good old german shepherd hard to beat i think but might go through a few before ya get a goodun.

My pal has a few on his farm and they seem the complete opposite to that.Very relaxed and quiet around the place and only seem to bark if they have reason to.

1 minute ago, C.green said:

Aye i could imagine if you have a very big place theyd be ideal there deffo a very intimidating thing when they kick off.

Yeah Ideal for around a smallholding/farm/stable yard etc.Couldnt be doing with one of the big hairy,Smelly f**king thing round me though.

All that dead coat and looking like they been dragged through a hedge is par for the course with them aint it. They seemed very very popular fir a minute but know one or two bought in as adults that cant even be let out of a oen just too much dog for alot of peoples places aint it 

15 minutes ago, C.green said:

All that dead coat and looking like they been dragged through a hedge is par for the course with them aint it. They seemed very very popular fir a minute but know one or two bought in as adults that cant even be let out of a oen just too much dog for alot of peoples places aint it 

Seen a lot of different breeds imported as adults over the last few years that were only any good for a bullet in the nut.Seems to be a popular misconception with lads at the moment that if you import something from eastern Europe or one of the Baltic states that you're gunna get something special.They just dont seem to realise that them f**kers are all peddling c**ts that couldnt afford a loaf of bread a few years back let alone a well bred dog to start a programme with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, downsouth said:

Seen a lot of different breeds imported as adults over the last few years that were only any good for a bullet in the nut.Seems to be a popular misconception with lads at the moment that if you import something from eastern Europe or one of the Baltic states that you're gunna get something special.They just dont seem to realise that them f**kers are all peddling c**ts that couldnt afford a loaf of bread a few years back let alone a well bred dog to start a programme with.

Which would make me question getting one, Anatolian Shepherds on the other hand have been other here for donkeys years, most likely mainly show stock mind. 

I think one of them ovcharkas or similar would be no good over here if a scrote jumps over the fence then you'll be up on manslaughter charges or worse a kid goes in and who wants that on their conscience 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Tyla said:

I'd go German shepherd but get a decent one , my mate has Caucasians and they are a liability they would not bite some one they would eat someone grate with his stock n kids tho  , our shepherd is very sensible and a good dog to have about the place mothers kids n lambs etc but don't let anyone in