Mole Trap Tweaking

Had two last week that had wriggled through the trigger loop and then set the traps off. Both were aligned with their shoulders horizontal, but had to be rotated 90 degrees so the shoulders were vertical to be able to remove them from the trigger loop. They must have turned over on their sides to try and get through the gap in the trigger loop.

Just use a small, rough file to remove the burr from the bottom of the trigger latch. I file a small angle so when the trigger loop goes forward to that point there is absolutely no chance of it hanging. Then I bend the trigger loops forward a bit and make any adjustments necessary to the angle of the trigger loop latches. No need for a vice. Just a file and needle nosed pliers. The only time I use a vice is to squeeze the width of the traps in a bit. At one point Flatpack were sending traps out that were around 9mm wider than the normal ones so they got squished in the vice to get them back to around 65mm wide.

• Like 1
On 08/04/2021 at 18:40, Nicepix said:

Just use a small, rough file to remove the burr from the bottom of the trigger latch. I file a small angle so when the trigger loop goes forward to that point there is absolutely no chance of it hanging. Then I bend the trigger loops forward a bit and make any adjustments necessary to the angle of the trigger loop latches. No need for a vice. Just a file and needle nosed pliers. The only time I use a vice is to squeeze the width of the traps in a bit. At one point Flatpack were sending traps out that were around 9mm wider than the normal ones so they got squished in the vice to get them back to around 65mm wide.

& you wont get much better advice than that folks, for altering the duffus type, to help improve capture rate, or address any humaneness issues. Only thing i would add is, when i used Bethel Rhodes , half barrels, the trigger latch hooks, were a bit too long, so i would often reduce them slightly , with snip pliers. Dont have to do this so much now, with the Flat pack, ones, though. (although it might apply to some other duffus style makes, im not sure ?)

On 08/04/2021 at 18:14, Nicepix said:

Had two last week that had wriggled through the trigger loop and then set the traps off. Both were aligned with their shoulders horizontal, but had to be rotated 90 degrees so the shoulders were vertical to be able to remove them from the trigger loop. They must have turned over on their sides to try and get through the gap in the trigger loop.

Some catchers squeeze the trigger loop, a bit, to try and avoid, that.

2 hours ago, goldfinger said:

Dig them up? I personally don't bother seasoning traps and never had a problem catching, the only traps I like to season up a bit are Putanges,but suppose everyone has there own methods. 

I assumed, he just set them all, without modifying them ?   lol

Edited by earth-thrower
On 09/04/2021 at 22:30, earth-thrower said:

& you wont get much better advice than that folks, for altering the duffus type, to help improve capture rate, or address any humaneness issues. Only thing i would add is, when i used Bethel Rhodes , half barrels, the trigger latch hooks, were a bit too long, so i would often reduce them slightly , with snip pliers. Dont have to do this so much now, with the Flat pack, ones, though. (although it might apply to some other duffus style makes, im not sure ?)

Thinking about it..... its personal preference, whether you make just one adjustment to the duffus type,....or ALL the tweaks, you can, etc,...depends, what your results are with them, i suppose ?