Lawn care maintenance.. tips and advice!

I don't mind admitting i like a nice looking lawn.. so thought I'd start a thread going in order to gain and hopefully share a bit of advice around what to do to get that grass in tip top condition ready for the summer. 

So, let us know what you do and when.. feeding.. watering.. whatever it is.

I've done about 4 cuts this season and a week ago i put a box of Wilkos weed and feed granular down to kill off a bit of moss that had appeared over the winter. It did it's job killing the moss off so i got the scarifier out yesterday to fetch the moss and thatch out of the lawn.

Surprising how much dead material it gets out of the lawn!!

20210404_170904_resized.jpg.7f44c5b722329497c2c09d73e200201d.jpg

20210404_171628_resized.jpg.5d71f6df8488a26b65218054b687496f.jpg

What's everyone else up to??

• Like 6

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't mind admitting i like a nice looking lawn.. so thought I'd start a thread going in order to gain and hopefully share a bit of advice around what to do to get that grass in tip top condition re

Did a mini renno 10 days ago with the aim of having decent looking bit of turn for a bank holl weekend bbq. Had been away for 2 weeks and when i got back the grass was looking pretty shit to ssy

Grosure fast active mate comes up in a week no lie brilliant stuff 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Dig it up and lay plastic ,you know it makes sense .

My old man actually did that a good few year back!

I can actually see me going down that route in the future to be honest... but not until i turn into a slack f**er like my father!

• Haha 1

Trouble they say astro starts stinking of dog pi** and get to hot for dogs?? My lawns shagged rough as hell need to fill in the pits and seed abit after the wet winter. Garden hangs very wet in winter. Not sure if a soakaway would help?

1 hour ago, ollieollie said:

Get rid of yer dogs and the lawn will be fine ?

Very true mate!!

I layed some turf here years ago now and caught one of the bitch's who'd just finished her piss and proceed to scratch/ drag her feet back as they do afterwards.. she actually rolled the turf back up ffs!!!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
41 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Trouble they say astro starts stinking of dog pi** and get to hot for dogs?? My lawns shagged rough as hell need to fill in the pits and seed abit after the wet winter. Garden hangs very wet in winter. Not sure if a soakaway would help?

Soak away could be a good idea mate. Sounds a big job that though if you mean taking your whole lawn up?

On 05/04/2021 at 15:30, Bush Rummager said:

I don't mind admitting i like a nice looking lawn.. so thought I'd start a thread going in order to gain and hopefully share a bit of advice around what to do to get that grass in tip top condition ready for the summer. 

So, let us know what you do and when.. feeding.. watering.. whatever it is.

I've done about 4 cuts this season and a week ago i put a box of Wilkos weed and feed granular down to kill off a bit of moss that had appeared over the winter. It did it's job killing the moss off so i got the scarifier out yesterday to fetch the moss and thatch out of the lawn.

Surprising how much dead material it gets out of the lawn!!

20210404_170904_resized.jpg.7f44c5b722329497c2c09d73e200201d.jpg

20210404_171628_resized.jpg.5d71f6df8488a26b65218054b687496f.jpg

What's everyone else up to??

Sum lawn that mate love a nice lawn 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bangersanmash said:

Sum lawn that mate love a nice lawn 

Thanks mate.. it doesn't quite look that good in real life now though since i scarified it to death!

I'm going to be putting some extra effort in this year.. hopefully have it looking decent by mid May.. bbqing and a few cold uns sat out fingers crossed!

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Bush Rummager said:

Thanks mate.. it doesn't quite look that good in real life now though since i scarified it to death!

I'm going to be putting some extra effort in this year.. hopefully have it looking decent by mid May.. bbqing and a few cold uns sat out fingers crossed!

Atb with it mate I've just reseeded mine 

• Like 1

Just to add.. I've been reading about 'aerating' you lawn. Apparently it's one of the best you can do. I've never done this before other that to drain a small pool of water that gathered once after some heavy rain.

Well after a quick search online, you can hire petrol driven aerators.. but seeing a it was a bank holiday and i was chomping at the bit.. i grabbed the folk.. and got cracking on..

20210405_124029.jpg.e1495a2e868235d4e63ee445e95ce079.jpg

After getting on for 2 hrs and doing less than half the grass.. i wish I'd waited and hired the machine!!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

Just to add.. I've been reading about 'aerating' you lawn. Apparently it's one of the best you can do. I've never done this before other that to drain a small pool of water that gathered once after some heavy rain.

Well after a quick search online, you can hire petrol driven aerators.. but seeing a it was a bank holiday and i was chomping at the bit.. i grabbed the folk.. and got cracking on..

20210405_124029.jpg.e1495a2e868235d4e63ee445e95ce079.jpg

After getting on for 2 hrs and doing less than half the grass.. i wish I'd waited and hired the machine!!

I've just ordered myself one of these the top pic. After putting the holes in I back fill with fine sand. A chap who works for local council golf course told me how to go on. But you could get these to slip of your boots or trainers don't look too bad depending on how hard the ground is tho atb 

Screenshot_20210407-081646.png

Screenshot_20210407-081638.png

Edited by Bangersanmash
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

I've just ordered myself one of these the top pic. After putting the holes in I back fill with fine sand. A chap who works for local council golf course told me how to go on. But you could get these to slip of your boots or trainers don't look too bad depending on how hard the ground is tho atb 

Screenshot_20210407-081646.png

Screenshot_20210407-081638.png

Good idead those spikes.. aerate as mow.

Wish I'd waited and got one of those hollow tine aerators now.. looks handy for filling the holes with top dressing or sand to hepl drainage.

Let us know how you get on with them mate and look at making a purchase or two...?