Lack of parental responsibility?

1 minute ago, Greb147 said:

No comment, smell fishy doesn't it.... ?

Pun intended. 

Must of been a crazy night especially with old elton slamming out the speakers ?? and you shoulder pressing the mother in law..?

• Haha 1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can speak with a little bit of knowledge on school. In the UK we put massive pressure on kids......and I mean massive, from the time they are babies of 4 ! Almost nobody else is doing that

WILF is 100% correct.  There is absolutely no connection between academic achievement in primary school and how much money people earn at 30. Once you take the top few percent of really clever ki

I've said that for years, cooking and healthy eating should be one of the staples of education in the UK, the same as First Aid, they should be both instilled by the time you're an adult.   

Posted Images

16 hours ago, lurchergrrl said:

The point I was making is that kids had more options to pursue things they enjoyed or were more inclined to. I couldn't really take shop but at least I didn't have to do more than 2 years of maths cause I was terrible at it ? Here, they have to learn what's imposed on them, like or lump it. At my kids school they HAD to take a language and the gcse topics were offered in bundles with no flexibility. Sets a lot of the kids up to fail imo.

Exactly!

Jess passed all her high school here with an overall 96% grade and had loads of different opportunities offered. She decided to go back to Blighty to study her A levels. They then told her she can't because she had no GCSE's. They made her do 3 in 3 months, which obviously didn't allow her to get decent grades (3 C's). She then had to go in to have an interview with the 3 heads of department. Luckily she's good at language and whilst doing her Spanish interview turns out the professor was Catalan, Jess picked up on this from her accent and switched to Catalan. Teacher ended the interview right there and gave her her place. Forcing kids to do these exams when they're not necessary or workable seems to be normal in UK. It's about ticking the boxes. Worst thing is, her high school education was the Oxbridge created international syllabus ?‍♂️

How can you say a child/person is no good because they dont have a certificate saying GSCE on it? Fuucking beats me ?‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
On 04/04/2021 at 16:10, Welsh_red said:

The world takes all sorts and needs all sorts . You need the insanely brainy academics,  high level sorts , they can design and work out anything thats needed , you need the next levels to take their thoughts and put them in to practice and organise it all the way down to the boots on the ground actually putting the plans together .

Spurs new stadium is a marvel in design the way its all held together , its beyond me how someone can design something complex . But without the guys in high viz driving the dumpers , shifting the cement , doing the blockwork its just a thought in some brainy guys head . 

I found with school they pushed and pushed that exams and academia was so important and almost life and death and in the end it didnt really matter for most of us. The brainy ones didnt need pressure to be good at class they just were . The ones like my friend were made to feel thick and not good enough should have had their energy channelled somewhere where they could excell .

I have another good mate who can hardly read and writing isnt his strong point either but you should see his garden . Its world class , beautifull decking and lighting , hidden speakers and all sorts . But in school he was written off as thick and a waste of time. Finished school and dropped in and out of jobs and didnt really have a direction for years . Id bet anything if at 13/14 he did a day a week with a landscaper they would have seen his potential and his graft. Couple of positive comments from them , " soon as u finish school kid you give me a call , you got a job with me if u want it"  or overhearing the boss saying to customer " hes a great kid, got a good nose for this type of work , one of the best workers ive had and hes only 14"  , his confidence is up , he feels worth something , and hes got a clear path he can follow . Instead of being booted out of school after his last day into the world with no idea what to do .

But the main problem is that i see school as a way of helping the kids on their way to being a grown up but it isnt . Its all politics and money and stats and ratings etc .

My two kids were like chalk and cheese at school work , my daughter was like a sponge for knowledge , new the alphabet , was able to do simple sums and was just starting to read ( using the phonetic alphabet method) before starting school at five .She loved school , loved homework and sailed through her school years , ridiculous amount of GCSE’s , great A levels and off to Durham Uni ..at 46 she has just been made CEO of her company with a wage I couldn’t guess at ..

My son was the absolute opposite , hated school with the passion my daughter loved it , his favourite subject was PE ,had they had lessons on the life and times of Westham United he would have been a star student , everything before or after was his nightmare .The rows I had at school where they compared and expected him to be like her I can’t tell you , needless to say he left school the first day he could ..He bummed about for a few years doing odd manual jobs then started driving a fork truck , within a year or so he was teaching people to drive them , then he became an examiner and progressed to driving and teaching all manor of weird and wonderful machines as well as running two karate clubs ..long story short what he lacked in academic qualities he made up with work ethic , at 44 he has just bought and PAID for his second house , a five bed detached lot ..according to the school they said he would struggle in the modern world to get on without good GCSE’s ...yea right ! ..

On the subject of pressuring kids in school my niece suffered for years , she is numerically dyslexic , numbers with her just don’t register , the simplest maths to her are a nightmare and for years at school the teachers seemed to think more maths work would ease the problem where in fact it just added to her problem and  she dreaded school ..then my brother moved to Spain , enrolled her in a Spanish school and explained her difficulty .Their reaction was totally opposite , rather than work to her weakness they worked to her strengths .I couldn’t tell up you the difference it made , she actually liked going to school .The Spanish system doesn’t seem to put pressure on the kids at all , this constant work and exam regime we have in the UK just doesn’t happen here .They only have to think up an excuse and the whole class are down the beach or park for the morning ..after the school holidays , about eight weeks , when they start back it’s for half days for a week then a couple of full days before going full time ..they seem to ease the kids into it ..seems to work ...

• Like 4

Point you are missing lads is that schools have to Put pressure on kids or they would go skint !.......don’t blame the schools or the teachers, blame the system and parents who only want o log on and see a number ?

On 04/04/2021 at 15:10, Welsh_red said:

The world takes all sorts and needs all sorts . You need the insanely brainy academics,  high level sorts , they can design and work out anything thats needed , you need the next levels to take their thoughts and put them in to practice and organise it all the way down to the boots on the ground actually putting the plans together .

Spurs new stadium is a marvel in design the way its all held together , its beyond me how someone can design something complex . But without the guys in high viz driving the dumpers , shifting the cement , doing the blockwork its just a thought in some brainy guys head . 

I found with school they pushed and pushed that exams and academia was so important and almost life and death and in the end it didnt really matter for most of us. The brainy ones didnt need pressure to be good at class they just were . The ones like my friend were made to feel thick and not good enough should have had their energy channelled somewhere where they could excell .

I have another good mate who can hardly read and writing isnt his strong point either but you should see his garden . Its world class , beautifull decking and lighting , hidden speakers and all sorts . But in school he was written off as thick and a waste of time. Finished school and dropped in and out of jobs and didnt really have a direction for years . Id bet anything if at 13/14 he did a day a week with a landscaper they would have seen his potential and his graft. Couple of positive comments from them , " soon as u finish school kid you give me a call , you got a job with me if u want it"  or overhearing the boss saying to customer " hes a great kid, got a good nose for this type of work , one of the best workers ive had and hes only 14"  , his confidence is up , he feels worth something , and hes got a clear path he can follow . Instead of being booted out of school after his last day into the world with no idea what to do .

But the main problem is that i see school as a way of helping the kids on their way to being a grown up but it isnt . Its all politics and money and stats and ratings etc .

Ive had the conversation with several pals over the years and we all come to the same conclusion that beyond basic reading and writing school taught us literally nothing......ok things were different back then but i can honestly say that school was pretty much about survival for us we had a few teachers who were just sadistic bullies and even the ok teachers hated our guts....when i listen to my kids talk about their schooling and how nice and friendly it all was i cant believe teachers in our area and our day got away with what they did i remember a few years ago a bird we've known since childhood made contact with one of our old teachers now in his 70's and he hasnt changed a bit still just a very nasty individual... i often tell my kids how lucky they were but they dont understand they just take " good caring teachers " for granted.....just different times i suppose.

18 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Ive had the conversation with several pals over the years and we all come to the same conclusion that beyond basic reading and writing school taught us literally nothing......ok things were different back then but i can honestly say that school was pretty much about survival for us we had a few teachers who were just sadistic bullies and even the ok teachers hated our guts....when i listen to my kids talk about their schooling and how nice and friendly it all was i cant believe teachers in our area and our day got away with what they did i remember a few years ago a bird we've known since childhood made contact with one of our old teachers now in his 70's and he hasnt changed a bit still just a very nasty individual... i often tell my kids how lucky they were but they dont understand they just take " good caring teachers " for granted.....just different times i suppose.

By and large mate, modern teachers are absolutely brilliant.

In the U.K. most of them are going above and beyond for kids every single day of the week, many staying at work until 7,8,9 or even 10 o’clock most days to provide sports coaching, get lessons ready, put lesson plans in place.....they really are very good.

I was a total f***ing arsehole at school, went round with a massive chip on my shoulder getting upto absolutely outrageous stuff and spending my days wanting to confront authority at every opportunity.

They f****d me off at 14 and that was me done, never went near a school after that.

Yes, in my day there were some very poor small minded pricks teaching.

However, as I got older and grew a bit of sense and maturity and had kids of my own, I went and got involved with schools and found just how good these places are......especially if as a parent you are willing to weigh in and give a bit of help.

My time as a school guvenor and a parent changed my outlook completely.

When it comes to school, my advice to any parent would be get involved as much as you can.....sports days, school fetes, going in and reading with kids, being in the board of guvenors if you really want to put in the time.

Don’t be afraid to listen and learn, you don’t have to crash in like a bull in a China shop, be humble.....understand these people are professionals and they want what you want.

Also, don’t be afraid to have confidence in your own abilities and what you can bring to the party.

Id say to any parent now, schools good, help them and your kids will benefit massively ?

Edited by WILF
  • Like 6
11 minutes ago, WILF said:

By and large mate, modern teachers are absolutely brilliant.

In the U.K. most of them are going above and beyond for kids every single day of the week, many staying at work until 7,8,9 or even 10 o’clock most days to provide sports coaching, get lessons ready, put lesson plans in place.....they really are very good.

I was a total f***ing arsehole at school, went round with a massive chip on my shoulder getting upto absolutely outrageous stuff and spending my days wanting to confront authority at every opportunity.

They f****d me off at 14 and that was me done, never went near a school after that.

Yes, in my day there were some very poor small minded pricks teaching.

However, as I got older and grew a bit of sense and maturity and had kids of my own, I went and got involved with schools and found just how good these places are......especially if as a parent you are willing to weigh in and give a bit of help.

My time as a school guvenor and a parent changed my outlook completely.

When it comes to school, my advice to any parent would be get involved as much as you can.....sports days, school fetes, going in and reading with kids, being in the board of guvenors if you really want to put in the time.

Don’t be afraid to listen and learn, you don’t have to crash in like a bull in a China shop, be humble.....understand these people are professionals and they want what you want.

Also, don’t be afraid to have confidence in your own abilities and what you can bring to the party.

Id say to any parent now, schools good, help them and your kids will benefit massively ?

The thing is mate i wasnt a hellraiser type of kid just stubborn and confrontational but these teachers were actually the types of people you meet later on in life that have to be dealt with or you get trampled over......not just the violence they dished out but the mental torture telling you how useless you are and wont ever amount to anything.... "you'll end up dead or in prison you horrible little shit " aint exactly the people skills needed is it ?.......im sure like you say the rewards come out with what you put in regards actual education but in terms of personalities i,ll never understand how a few of our old teachers were ever allowed to be around kids...but of course thats massively improved in todays times.

As kids we used to say we'd pay one of them a visit later in life but of course you never do but when the bird connected with the old geezer a few years back it was too tempting an opportunity ?....ive since heard he has died...he'll not be missed.

IMG_6841.jpg

• Haha 3
23 hours ago, mushroom said:

Exactly!

Jess passed all her high school here with an overall 96% grade and had loads of different opportunities offered. She decided to go back to Blighty to study her A levels. They then told her she can't because she had no GCSE's. They made her do 3 in 3 months, which obviously didn't allow her to get decent grades (3 C's). She then had to go in to have an interview with the 3 heads of department. Luckily she's good at language and whilst doing her Spanish interview turns out the professor was Catalan, Jess picked up on this from her accent and switched to Catalan. Teacher ended the interview right there and gave her her place. Forcing kids to do these exams when they're not necessary or workable seems to be normal in UK. It's about ticking the boxes. Worst thing is, her high school education was the Oxbridge created international syllabus ?‍♂️

How can you say a child/person is no good because they dont have a certificate saying GSCE on it? Fuucking beats me ?‍♂️

Well she's an exceptional lass anyway, bright as a penny is how I remember her. She'll go far Mushy, done a great job there. Tell her I said well done ?

• Thanks 1
Just now, gnasher16 said:

The thing is mate i wasnt a hellraiser type of kid just stubborn and confrontational but these teachers were actually the types of people you meet later on in life that have to be dealt with or you get trampled over......not just the violence they dished out but the mental torture telling you how useless you are and wont ever amount to anything.... "you'll end up dead or in prison you horrible little shit " aint exactly the people skills needed is it ?.......im sure like you say the rewards come out with what you put in regards actual education but in terms of personalities i,ll never understand how a few of our old teachers were ever allowed to be around kids...but of course thats massively improved in todays times.

As kids we used to say we'd pay one of them a visit later in life but of course you never do but when the bird connected with the old geezer a few years back it was too tempting an opportunity ?....ive since heard he has died...he'll not be missed.

IMG_6841.jpg

I recognise only too well the type of teacher you are talking about mate, I had a few of them and f****d a couple off later in life.

One of them even put the kybosh on me joining the army which was something I really wanted to do as a young man, because I was 16 at the time they had to write to the school for a reference despite me having not been in school for 2 years and they did a right job on me in the response, proper f***ing character assassination......the bloke at the recruiting office said “sorry, can’t take you now we have this, come back when you are 18”......but you know yourself, 16 to 18 out in the world changes you and I had too much going on by the time 18 came round.

But, thankfully those teachers have no place in modern teaching now, they just don’t fit in anymore.....the teachers of the last 20 years are not the teachers from our school years mate.....thank f**k ! Lol 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

IMG_6841.jpg

That statement, you will be dead before your 40 was something I heard a lot as a kid from various teachers, but it stuck with me all my life and now I,m pushing 60 I have a very different outlook on life because of it, I have very little fear including death and look at every day as a bonus which is quite a nice way to live, sounds like your teachers came from the same mould as mine ?

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Greyman said:

That statement, you will be dead before your 40 was something I heard a lot as a kid from various teachers, but it stuck with me all my life and now I,m pushing 60 I have a very different outlook on life because of it, I have very little fear including death and look at every day as a bonus which is quite a nice way to live, sounds like your teachers came from the same mould as mine ?

I wouldnt say he made an impression but old Mr Bishop gave me a real desire to achieve something,anything but that wasnt his intention....he was a big powerful man who knew the type of kid i was and took it upon himself to try and dominate me now because he knew he wouldnt be able to later on....just a very nasty person who i could never quite get past he was more like the bully type screw than a teacher....but no i wouldnt say teachers or people in general like that made me fearless like you say....just gave me a massive motivation to achieve

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1