4 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

Totally agree with what you’ve just said the meat isn’t cheap so why gamble on something that’s going to give you so much pleasure, I owned a ProQ the big one looked like R2D2 albeit a great bit of kit you had to literally baby sit it continuously because of the temperature fluctuations, I’ve got three 12hour shifts to smash this weekend then Beef Ribs for Monday’s predicted good weather?

I'd been looking at smoker's for quite some time, firstly I was looking at the traditional offset wood stoves with some romantic notion of being a outback hillbilly then reality kicked in ?

I aint got time to be nursing some fire for hours, but credit to those that do and get good results its a skill :thumbs:

There's swings and roundabouts with all types of stoves ,get what suits your needs the most and for me after much research it was the pellet smoker. 

I'm off to the farm shop tomorrow  to see what takes my fancy again ?....

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gents to say I’m excited is an understatement I’ve just sold my old ProQ smoker on eBay and it surprised me how much I got for it so I took the plunge and have upped my game to an American Pit Boss Au

Buddy did a little BBQ for mother's day  

Was nearly 9 hours in the end , melt in your mouth 

Posted Images

Mate uses a meteor , uses same grill as me , takes temp sends info to app on phone, it's clever stuff, but I've never been tempted to use one, tbh I like smoking big meat now and again but my passion is removing the ceramic heat deflector and having a good ol' BBQ . Can get the meat so far from coals can shut the lid and chill have a beer then open vents and fire it up. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, kanny said:

I'd been looking at smoker's for quite some time, firstly I was looking at the traditional offset wood stoves with some romantic notion of being a outback hillbilly then reality kicked in ?

I aint got time to be nursing some fire for hours, but credit to those that do and get good results its a skill :thumbs:

There's swings and roundabouts with all types of stoves ,get what suits your needs the most and for me after much research it was the pellet smoker. 

I'm off to the farm shop tomorrow  to see what takes my fancy again ?....

I did toy with an off set one of the big heavy duty American ones also looked at the Big Green Egg a friend in Cape Town has one and everything he shoots normally ends up on it it’s the big one lol.

My Son had a custom built one made I think there’s a picture earlier in this thread it’s a great thing but I attended a cook he done and the best part of 12 hours he sat there feeding it wood sweating his nads off covered in soot, but the meat was amazing pork ribs and a neck of pork couldn’t fault it.

The banter between me and my boy is ridiculous he thinks I’ve copped out and I’m not a real man and all that bollocks because I’ve got a pellet smoker but having owned both its a no brainier but each to their own.

I have still got my traditional BBQ and my spit so I have still got my cave man credentials ??

• Haha 1

One of the unexpected bonuses of that ceramic I got is having two young kids and a small garden they're not gonna burn themselves on it, my posts are having to be moderated so I'm behind the conversation by about four hours lol. Smoking is more of a science , BBQ is a bit more fun imho.

Anyone ever used any of the online meat suppliers? I generally like to eyeball what I'm buying where meat is concerned but I'm finding it difficult to find some cuts so was thinking of giving the online thing a go.

Who did you use and did you rate it?.

3 hours ago, kanny said:

Anyone ever used any of the online meat suppliers? I generally like to eyeball what I'm buying where meat is concerned but I'm finding it difficult to find some cuts so was thinking of giving the online thing a go.

Who did you use and did you rate it?.

Cant you speak to your butcher? Ours will cut you what you want , 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, vfr400boy said:

Cant you speak to your butcher? Ours will cut you what you want , 

Sure I can get most things  but things like iberico babyback ribs or certain steaks  from  certain stock ...no chance ? 

Ive ordered organic belly pork and few other things mail order, I won't repeat it though. Meat wasn't upto much. I use a local place called butchr. He's expensive in my view , especially for ribs and such like but does a booming trade. I try and use a local butcher for general meat , although when travelling past Costco I tend to stock up they do excellent British good quality meat , salt and chilli belly pork is a fav but it's all excellent stuff, from tomahawks to brisket and steaks or decent sized wings and thighs. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Borr said:

I'm still in pain from stuffing my face...

IMG_20210903_142641287_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210903_130342932.jpg

IMG_20210903_142320123.jpg

Looks juicy and tender that  ?? what did the brisket weigh? 5+ kg I bet , that would last me and the Mr's a month ? I need a special occasion to do one , I might see if they have a nice chuck roast  tomorrow and give that a go ?

Just now, kanny said:

Looks juicy and tender that  ?? what did the brisket weigh? 5+ kg I bet , that would last me and the Mr's a month ? I need a special occasion to do one , I might see if they have a nice chuck roast  tomorrow and give that a go ?

Cheers , I like the idea of it and it gets thrown into all different meals the youngest likes it and he's not the biggest meat eater . I'd have to say my favourite is the belly pork and pork shoulder steaks on the bbq as for the smoking I did a couple of brisket , pork collar was decent, ribs are good too. I'm a bit bbqd out lol. Happy just to cook these lots wings and stuff.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Borr said:

Cheers , I like the idea of it and it gets thrown into all different meals the youngest likes it and he's not the biggest meat eater . I'd have to say my favourite is the belly pork and pork shoulder steaks on the bbq as for the smoking I did a couple of brisket , pork collar was decent, ribs are good too. I'm a bit bbqd out lol. Happy just to cook these lots wings and stuff.

Get some burnt ends done with the point ?

3 minutes ago, kanny said:

Get some burnt ends done with the point ?

Not sure the weight of that brisket. Burnt ends , that's the tail of a fillet yep? No fat so do you just keep basting them? Something sticky like a chilli and honey type thing?

1 minute ago, Borr said:

Not sure the weight of that brisket. Burnt ends , that's the tail of a fillet yep? No fat so do you just keep basting them? Something sticky like a chilli and honey type thing?

Yeah  basically  this is my recipe 

Burnt ends sauce 

3rd of a can of Dr pepper 

About the same bbq sauce 

About the Same  cider vinegar 

Teaspoon of chipotle paste 

A good slug of honey 

A touch of my smoked chilli and garlic paste,  do your own thing 

Simmer and reduce until its a thick syrup sauce consistency 

Use just enough to coat the  beef plus  a bit , add a good sprinkler of brown sugar and a couple knobs of butter,  cook in the grill on a low heat  120°c max for about a hour  , hour n half  , Done!

Alot of sugar in there so keeping it low is a must 

I've been using up left over rib for mine any corse grain cut will do but brisket point was where it originated from .

Lots of video on YouTube  and lots of styles. 

20210830_141611.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1