• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gents to say I’m excited is an understatement I’ve just sold my old ProQ smoker on eBay and it surprised me how much I got for it so I took the plunge and have upped my game to an American Pit Boss Au

Buddy did a little BBQ for mother's day  

Was nearly 9 hours in the end , melt in your mouth 

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Borr said:

Hi all, I'm using a Louisiana grill, same as a kamado smoker. Doing my third brisket tonight, first was underdone and tough second was a great success but used a friend's rub which was a bit too peppery for myself. Going on at 19:00 got some whisky barrel shavings to add flavour, will wrap in paper just after midnight all being well. Hoping it'll be spot on for a brunch tomorrow. A few pictures of prep and finished article will follow.

IMG_20210902_172052546.jpg

IMG_20210902_171300403.jpg

IMG_20210902_172537936.jpg

A little pan of water in the smoker will add a bit of moisture mate it’s a tough one to nail brisket look forward to seeing the after pics ?

5 minutes ago, kanny said:

Nice one look forward to seeing the result ? I'll definitely do a brisket when the occasion arises, I'm just doing a quick one this evening,  boneless spatchcock  

20210902_180110.jpg

Looks tasty that kanny , nice and quick, bit of basting , love a spatch cock

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

A little pan of water in the smoker will add a bit of moisture mate it’s a tough one to nail brisket look forward to seeing the after pics ?

I used water on the first , but truth be told it's time that breaks the meat down , as well as keeping the temperature down which takes a while for me as these charcoal smokers need time to settle, then You've got the temp plateau and folk who spray stuff but in all honesty in my limited experience it's time and temp.

1 hour ago, FLATTOP said:

Looking good mate nice bark, I used to have a ProQ and your right the hardest bit is maintaining a steady low temperature.

Bloody thing went out, lol. Back in the game now, better than burning it though I guess , should be good for early lunch now. 

4 hours ago, Borr said:

Bloody thing went out, lol. Back in the game now, better than burning it though I guess , should be good for early lunch now. 

You need a Pit Boss Pellet smoker in your life, set sit back open beer relax a few of the lads on here have got them and good results are being shown check out some of Kannys latest offerings.

4 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

You need a Pit Boss Pellet smoker in your life, set sit back open beer relax a few of the lads on here have got them and good results are being shown check out some of Kannys latest offerings.

I like coals, and don't normally do a 14hr cook over night, if I want the easy life I smoke chicken or pork etc then it's lid down and forget it but tbh I prefer it bbqd more heat and more marinade dipping. The brisket is something I wanted to try , but only repeating as kids love it, that lump on there now was £40 so bit dear for me to do regularly.

IMG-20210428-WA0003.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, FLATTOP said:

I have nothing to compare it to, all I can say is its doing the job for me and paired with the meater thermometer it's pretty foolproof @Borr if you haven't used one the meater thermometers they  are great ,you could have set up a warning notification on your phone if your ambient temps dropped below what you set them at , they just take a lot of the guesswork out the equation and with an expensive cut of meat I can live with a little cheating ?

I'm hungry thinking about that brisket ?

8 minutes ago, kanny said:

I have nothing to compare it to, all I can say is its doing the job for me and paired with the meater thermometer it's pretty foolproof @Borr if you haven't used one the meater thermometers they  are great ,you could have set up a warning notification on your phone if your ambient temps dropped below what you set them at , they just take a lot of the guesswork out the equation and with an expensive cut of meat I can live with a little cheating ?

I'm hungry thinking about that brisket ?

Totally agree with what you’ve just said the meat isn’t cheap so why gamble on something that’s going to give you so much pleasure, I owned a ProQ the big one looked like R2D2 albeit a great bit of kit you had to literally baby sit it continuously because of the temperature fluctuations, I’ve got three 12hour shifts to smash this weekend then Beef Ribs for Monday’s predicted good weather?

Edited by FLATTOP
  • Like 2