On 03/04/2021 at 21:45, Stockpot said:

Comanche, the good thing is if you tip the box right upside down.....they'll be at the top!

Looking at the picture I take it the Tildesley is a normal type scissor trap?

I've used old scissor traps several times over the years and got on quite well with them (but then I've never had to pay the bills trapping moles) but I always favoured the traps with the curved/rounded jaws as opposed to the more modern, cheap, straighter jaw. I felt the more curved jaw kinda scooped the mole into the trap giving a good clean kill, probably just imagining it, but I had confidence in them. 

Theres a guy on the web loves the scissors, & prefers them with the "curved/rounded jaws",...in fact he does a great amount of modifying his scissor traps (more than i ever observed, before !),....to the extent of widening the jaws, & curving the straighter legged ones, on a vice, himself, etc

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welllp figured y'all my enjoy one if my wall hangers. Pretty sure is a Victor sure grip  

Fenn 'Loop' Mole Traps Here you go, Katch. I got the box down again. Couple of angles for you to get the best idea. Four different Types. It's all in the trigger design, see? Wire loop thing, on

This is the last Rabbit i caught in a Sawyer ! it was in my neighbours  back garden under a shed , i put a sequence of  pictures showing how they worked then the Internet  trap Police pounced . A stup

Posted Images

On 04/04/2021 at 12:12, comanche said:

I rubbed it some more and a Genie appeared ?‍♂️! Unfortunately ge had a strong Arabian accent and  was hard to inderstand. Three times l said "l wish you would speak more clearly."  After which he said in perfect English "That's  your quota used up," punched the air and disappeared in a puff of smoke.

But yes it does say Fenn on both handles.

I probably kept this one because l think the trigger plate is a bit funky.20210404_114851.jpg.38fcce4ac82803ca5cc71ec956cfb869.jpg

Nice examples they look,...

On 04/04/2021 at 19:54, EDDIE B said:

What i do remember is that just before the last updated STAO came in, they put out a questionnaire asking whether anyone wanted these particular traps left on the list. I believe there was little to no response either way, so they removed them from the list  including the Aldrich may i add. The Fenn Rabbit Trap was never under review. Why that is, I don't know.

As you say, how was the "questionaire", publicized ? & how widely were the Juby & Imbra, utilised,..presently, up to the ban ?,...also , when were they last manufactured ? Real shame, it seems no manufacturer looked into the possibility of producing them again,....or had it been explored ?

Edited by earth-thrower
25 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

As you say, how was the "questionaire", publicized ? & how widely were the Juby & Imbra, utilised,..presently, up to the ban ?,...also , when were they last manufactured ? Real shame, it seems no manufacturer looked into the possibility of producing them again,....or had it been explored ?

As far as manufacturing them again. Firstly, they would never be made to the same quality. Everything nowadays, is very disposable. Secondly, there really isn't the demand that their once was for rabbit traps. Focus is very much on grey squirrels and stoats, these days. That's where the demand is. That's where trap inventions are, and that's where the money is.

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

looks a robust wee trap too.

Now that you mention it? Yes, actually, I must say it's probably the least 'wiggly' mole pincer I've handled of late. It really has got a no nonsense feel about it, in the hand.

39 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

No one ever asked me! Neer asked you either, ET? So; Who the hell Did they ask? Bunch of fat desk jockeys in a quango, I expect!

Regards manufacturing? China said the export would prove too inhibitive.

23 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

As far as manufacturing them again. Firstly, they would never be made to the same quality. Everything nowadays, is very disposable. Secondly, there really isn't the demand that their once was for rabbit traps. Focus is very much on grey squirrels and stoats, these days. That's where the demand is. That's where trap inventions are, and that's where the money is.

Aye, a get exactly what you mean,.....(well, until they introduce this 'birth control pill' or whatever, for the greys, maybe ? ? )

23 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Now that you mention it? Yes, actually, I must say it's probably the least 'wiggly' mole pincer I've handled of late. It really has got a no nonsense feel about it, in the hand.

No one ever asked me! Neer asked you either, ET? So; Who the hell Did they ask? Bunch of fat desk jockeys in a quango, I expect!

Regards manufacturing? China said the export would prove too inhibitive.

The wee fen scissor, looks an earlier example, before they changed to their more standard, trigger ?,.....aye, probably didnt reach too many of the right folk,..you would imagine ?  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

:( What a crying shame there's so little of it left! That would have been a Notable trap!

Flat Spring. Square jaws. Those type of teeth? I'd have cherished one like that, in my day. Never saw one, even!

Any idea the jaw size? (Measured along the horizontal run of the teeth would do) The drilled plate suggests it's a purpose made Run Trap. So, 3" max is usual.

Christ, what a waste! If I were still Collecting? I'd probably have given the kunt a tenner for it. Just to measure and record it.

As is? No need to buy and Collect rust. There's literally shed tons of perfectly well preserved traps out there.

Most chancers describe about anything as a " Rat Trap ". Because they simply don't know what it is. Or what else to call it. " Rusty Junk " is hardly a selling point.

I've absolutely no idea what that is the trap's sitting on. Could be flag stones. Could be mosaic stones the size of a chess board. So, without the owner giving us a measure ....?

It still fascinates me though. It's still a trap that catches my eye :)

Why? Let's just chat about old Gin Traps for a minute:

1. Flat Spring traps were, generally i. Older. Or ii. Cheaper.

Bow springs, the later invention, were stronger and retained their punch longer. I've, frankly, probably never handled a smaller flat spring trap I wouldn't stick my hand in ~ if the price was right.

But, I guess. they were cheaper to make. Thus cheap, small Run / Rat traps still used them. Domestic gear. Not for Pro's.

2. Those Teeth fascinate me! Despite the cartoon and kiddies books depictions? Those 'Hacksaw' teeth aren't seen much at all.

I can't, with a keyboard, depict the usual teeth patterns. But, most gin's have a flat, going into a cup. (Just look at c. 75% of gin's to see what I mean)

c. 15 / 20% have the 'classic' " VVVV " teeth of popular imagination. But, The ones on this trap are what I've always called " Hacksaw " teeth. Might as well call them 'Hens Teeth'.

Want to hear more? Read on.

I know of a " Man Trap " which had Hacksaw teeth. Big, double springed thing. Found hanging in a derelict outbuilding on an estate in Anglesey.

Interesting. There were two types of Man Traps used, as a rule. One was the purpose built, rather 'square' contraption. It caught the leg between two Bars.

The other was, frankly, any available 'Big Game', gin type trap. And those sort seldom enough had hacksaw teeth. Thus, I always figured the Anglesey Trap was a (Privately) purpose made Man trap.

Enough to dissuade anyone caught in it from ever returning for more. But, probably not going to cripple a man for life. As a Big Game type trap likely would have done.

But, I'm wandering. Reminiscing.

Where's that trap being offered from? Where in the world? See; It has features ~ what ever its size ~ which have me scratching my head.

Either way; That 'was once' a Very interesting trap. To my eye. And I've seen one or two in my time. That one's actually roused the old juices though!

Thank you ~ very much ~ for bringing something so interesting to the thread :good:

10 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Most chancers describe about anything as a " Rat Trap ". Because they simply don't know what it is. Or what else to call it. " Rusty Junk " is hardly a selling point.

I've absolutely no idea what that is the trap's sitting on. Could be flag stones. Could be mosaic stones the size of a chess board. So, without the owner giving us a measure ....?

It still fascinates me though. It's still a trap that catches my eye :)

Why? Let's just chat about old Gin Traps for a minute:

1. Flat Spring traps were, generally i. Older. Or ii. Cheaper.

Bow springs, the later invention, were stronger and retained their punch longer. I've, frankly, probably never handled a smaller flat spring trap I wouldn't stick my hand in ~ if the price was right.

But, I guess. they were cheaper to make. Thus cheap, small Run / Rat traps still used them. Domestic gear. Not for Pro's.

2. Those Teeth fascinate me! Despite the cartoon and kiddies books depictions? Those 'Hacksaw' teeth aren't seen much at all.

I can't, with a keyboard, depict the usual teeth patterns. But, most gin's have a flat, going into a cup. (Just look at c. 75% of gin's to see what I mean)

c. 15 / 20% have the 'classic' " VVVV " teeth of popular imagination. But, The ones on this trap are what I've always called " Hacksaw " teeth. Might as well call them 'Hens Teeth'.

Want to hear more? Read on.

I know of a " Man Trap " which had Hacksaw teeth. Big, double springed thing. Found hanging in a derelict outbuilding on an estate in Anglesey.

Interesting. There were two types of Man Traps used, as a rule. One was the purpose built, rather 'square' contraption. It caught the leg between two Bars.

The other was, frankly, any available 'Big Game', gin type trap. And those sort seldom enough had hacksaw teeth. Thus, I always figured the Anglesey Trap was a (Privately) purpose made Man trap.

Enough to dissuade anyone caught in it from ever returning for more. But, probably not going to cripple a man for life. As a Big Game type trap likely would have done.

But, I'm wandering. Reminiscing.

Where's that trap being offered from? Where in the world? See; It has features ~ what ever its size ~ which have me scratching my head.

Either way; That 'was once' a Very interesting trap. To my eye. And I've seen one or two in my time. That one's actually roused the old juices though!

Thank you ~ very much ~ for bringing something so interesting to the thread :good:

Good observations Ken. Might be way off, but looks like something from Mainland Europe.

• Like 1