Well it begins start using up your lead

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Talking of woke millennial culture, I've just put my foot in it. My gaffers daughter is epitome of woke white apologist feminist. Talking this morning about covid tests, she complained about how

The shoot I keeper has been selling our birds for very little at the beginning of the season and then as the numbers of shot birds increase we give them to the game dealer.           We also have a

It's called "Woke " David ,the environmental loons tell them "lead is bad your all going to die ". And so the knee jerks think woo appeasement let's ban lead and theyl leave us alone. No the

Posted Images

On 04/04/2021 at 10:18, Alsone said:

If the Government want use to go lead free, they need to subsidise the alternatives down to the cost of lead indefinately until a reasonably priced alternative is found.

Why would they do that? 

On that basis they would be subsidising all fossil fuels on the same basis?

As for not selling your quarry, what do you suggest people do with them? It's fine if you shoot a handful of deer a year for sport but if you are working to a cull plan, or even a shoot on sight order, then dealing with the carcasses becomes an issue pretty quick!

21 hours ago, Tyla said:

Why would they do that? 

On that basis they would be subsidising all fossil fuels on the same basis?

As for not selling your quarry, what do you suggest people do with them? It's fine if you shoot a handful of deer a year for sport but if you are working to a cull plan, or even a shoot on sight order, then dealing with the carcasses becomes an issue pretty quick!

They wouldn't. They have no interest in shooting and want to get guns out of the hands of civilians in my opinion. The issue they have is they also need pest control. They won't subsidise it, we know that. But without subisidsation it could mean the end of shooting for a lot of people as pest control becomes too expensive for those who do it as a hobby for farmers or if commercial eg a farm that relies on shooting for culling and the sale of prey to subsidise farming costs, uneconomic.

If not selling your quarry, you'd have to bury them or burn them, or give the meat away for free to locals / friends. It's all a token gesture unless the industry as a whole took a stance. 

For rifles, there's little doubt lead free bullets work and I'm all for them provided the cost is economic. For shotguns, the current offerings don't perform as well as lead and are massively uneconomic. Steel is of course the best for price but carries it's own set of problems.

One box of 308w Hornady GMX (copper alloy) cost £69 and one box of Hornady sst costs £49 thats 1,4x. The problem may bee .22lr will it be legal for hunting in Sweden, 22wmr what kind ammo and cost? I am shooting competition with pistol and the ammo costs 6,8£ /50 its 200£ per season could I afford lead free ammo? My Tikkakoski combination gun who dont take steel shot and will its 222rem barrel still be legal for roedeer and beaver?

No problem for my Colt/Uberti 1860 I can steal lead from churchroofs to keep it loaded.

The Romans used lead in waterpipes then it get oxided it much less toxid.

Edited by KimE

There’s a fcuked 308 tikka in the shop with a bulged barrel from using lead free, the owner has been using them as he’s a local culler.

I’ve used the Sako lead free in 6.5 and the ricochets were enough to put me off buying any more?” shooting over open stony fields”

• Sad 1

Nothing close to lead ,that's why the world over military uses copper jacket lead .

As we know the terminal energy transfer on deformity means dead is dead.And ricochet is reduced by this .

A lot more research and testing before lead is replaced cheaply and safely imho

• Like 5
On 09/04/2021 at 08:23, Baldcoot said:

Nothing close to lead ,that's why the world over military uses copper jacket lead .

As we know the terminal energy transfer on deformity means dead is dead.And ricochet is reduced by this .

A lot more research and testing before lead is replaced cheaply and safely imho

No we actually switched about two years ago. Copper with steel core penetrator.ill have to check but think I have some at house I could show 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, David.evans said:

So the question is wolf , what do they perform like ?

atb 

I've only ever fired them out of a standard issue M4 carbine so can't tell you how well in a traditional sense but with iorn sights I can get 3 rounds touching at 25m consistently. If I do my part. And can easily hit a EPSIC at 300m. Not super hard to do but anyhow. As far as terminal performance these are not made for late wound channels like a normal hunting bullet as many of you fellas know. Not something I'd use on medium game and up unless I'm head shooting like a see many of you across the pond do. Honestly if you can put it in their ear ......

• 2 months later...