Well it begins start using up your lead

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Talking of woke millennial culture, I've just put my foot in it. My gaffers daughter is epitome of woke white apologist feminist. Talking this morning about covid tests, she complained about how

The shoot I keeper has been selling our birds for very little at the beginning of the season and then as the numbers of shot birds increase we give them to the game dealer.           We also have a

It's called "Woke " David ,the environmental loons tell them "lead is bad your all going to die ". And so the knee jerks think woo appeasement let's ban lead and theyl leave us alone. No the

Posted Images

21 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

The shoot I keeper has been selling our birds for very little at the beginning of the season and then as the numbers of shot birds increase we give them to the game dealer. 
         We also have a decent amount of deer on the estate. The syndicate has decided to invest some money and we now have a plucking machine, chiller , and newly fitted out preparation room . We will be able to sell venison and shot birds locally. The birds will be shot with lead and so will the venison . I know a stalker who has turned his garage into a meat preparation unit and makes burgers and sausage and joints all vacuum packed or in trays and professional . The amount of people who want game is large , they just don’t know how to deal with fur and feathers, but if it’s done for them , they will pay good money for it . We only shoot modest bags and are not a commercial shoot . I can see that the route we are taking would not be feasible to most . But I think it will work.

21 hours ago, Stavross said:

Doesn’t quite work like that, it’s ok if you are taking them for yourself, but it’s just another kick in the teeth for the lads who carry out deer management, it’s only the start for animals that a put into the food chain, it’s the usual, jumping in with both feet without looking at all the evidence, I don’t have a problem with not using lead as long as there’s a viable alternative 

On another note I’ve just read a report on hunting with dogs in Ireland and if they pass that law them poor Irish chaps won’t even be able to run a rabbit, I don’t understand this world anymore, it’s just full of soft, bubble rapped idiots

It depends if you need the income from the meat sale.

19 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

It's called "Woke " David ,the environmental loons tell them "lead is bad your all going to die ".

And so the knee jerks think woo appeasement let's ban lead and theyl leave us alone.

No they won't, they won't stop till all shooting is banned. 

That's always been the aim. Every excuse they make licensing more difficult. It isn't about safety it never was. It's about slowly closing ownership by the back door.

Anyone with an ounce of sense can see that tightening laws on legal guns in response to a tragedy involving illegal ones has no effect whatsoever.

16 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

The world always moves on , lead will eventually be banned so will just have to accept it . I will continue using lead until that date and then see what alternatives are available at that time...copper etc. From everything I have read copper works fine on foxes and deer and the ammo industry is developing new stuff all the time. Copper bullets believe it or not do not bounce off foxes or deer ??

I believe in CF there's an alternative made from memory from copper zinc alloys and resin that outperfoms lead. However, what the cost is I don't know. Still nothing for shotguns though that equals lead in performance or price.

On a side note ,in the bullet casting community over here there alot if guys that have been messing with using using zinc for casting as an alternative for lead.  Also one or two state has moved to lead free ammo and I hear from California alot of hunters are loving the Barnes lead free bullets along with Leigh Defense and cutting edge but the $$$

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Alsone said:

depends if you need the income from the meat sale.

Once again you have missed the point 

All deer that are part of a management plan go into the food chain, over the years the price has dropped significantly and the lads that are out doing this job are the only ones that suffer, now they are looking at a lead ban with no evidence of contaminated carcasses ( they say that the round leaves lead deposits in the carcass) the lad I know who does this job hasn’t got a problem with using lead free but they need to be as good as lead and as cost effective as he loads his own, otherwise it’s going to end up costing him to do part of his job, at the minute all lead free is expensive, it’s the same with shotgun cartridges, my mate on the moor has been told that in the near future ( possibly this coming season) that the game dealer will require lead free, this is a big problem for them on a grouse moor, not just because of the cost of lead free but also it’s performance and making sure everyone sticks to the rules as the game dealer will have to test for lead and if someone breaks the rules it could cost him his business with the game dealer 

• Sad 1
23 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

It's called "Woke "

Talking of woke millennial culture, I've just put my foot in it.

My gaffers daughter is epitome of woke white apologist feminist. Talking this morning about covid tests, she complained about how it makes you gag taking test. Me - "I don't see how girls struggle so much with it, surely used to gagging on things at back of throat!" 

Well, that went down like a sack of shiť.  ?

• Haha 10
9 hours ago, Stavross said:

Once again you have missed the point 

All deer that are part of a management plan go into the food chain, over the years the price has dropped significantly and the lads that are out doing this job are the only ones that suffer, now they are looking at a lead ban with no evidence of contaminated carcasses ( they say that the round leaves lead deposits in the carcass) the lad I know who does this job hasn’t got a problem with using lead free but they need to be as good as lead and as cost effective as he loads his own, otherwise it’s going to end up costing him to do part of his job, at the minute all lead free is expensive, it’s the same with shotgun cartridges, my mate on the moor has been told that in the near future ( possibly this coming season) that the game dealer will require lead free, this is a big problem for them on a grouse moor, not just because of the cost of lead free but also it’s performance and making sure everyone sticks to the rules as the game dealer will have to test for lead and if someone breaks the rules it could cost him his business with the game dealer 

Note sure how I missed the point. I said the very reason for not selling to game dealers was the cartridges cost 10x as much but you're still paying us the same. The price is the biggest problem followed by the performance. As I said above, some reports suggest that in rifles zinc / copper / resin alloys outperfom lead. However, there remains no viable alternative in shotguns and price is an issue with shotshells. Can't comment on rifle pricing for zinc / copper / resin alloys as haven't seen any.

4 hours ago, Alsone said:

Note sure how I missed the point. I said the very reason for not selling to game dealers was the cartridges cost 10x as much but you're still paying us the same. The price is the biggest problem followed by the performance. As I said above, some reports suggest that in rifles zinc / copper / resin alloys outperfom lead. However, there remains no viable alternative in shotguns and price is an issue with shotshells. Can't comment on rifle pricing for zinc / copper / resin alloys as haven't seen any.

I may of misread your post and for that I apologise 

the problem I see is that when the likes of the game dealers association back down and accept a lead ban with no clear evidence it will only lead to a complete ban no matter what the you are shooting, at the minute there’s very few alternatives out there and what is, is very expensive. As for shotguns there’s next to nothing that works as good as lead, the only one I can think of is Bismuth and the are about 30 quid a box

• Like 1

There is a problem with non lead alternatives for .243 , they don’t perform as deer round . I foresee lots of .243rifles on the second hand market . 
          Also “ high bird “shoots ? How  will it effect them ? I know steel has improved greatly since my early experience of them . But I think we will have to think more about the range we take birds . This has all come about because the shooting community needs to self regulate, otherwise there will be legislation. On the continent they don’t want lead in their food . So the game dealers have to address this , because we shoot more game than we , as a nation consume , so rely on the export market.We have a five year transition period. For the small shoot who doesn’t use a game dealer, I say “business as usual”, for the moment.

After watching this, I’ve looked a bit more into it and they are not as badly priced as I was told, just a couple of quid more that the Sako I use in the .243, at the minute the problem seems to be choice and availability, but I’m sure more will come to market and in the not to distant future none lead will be the norm, if it works, it works so my view is changing towards rifle ammo, I’m still not sure what will happen with shotgun cartridges 

On 02/04/2021 at 23:26, Stavross said:

I may of misread your post and for that I apologise 

the problem I see is that when the likes of the game dealers association back down and accept a lead ban with no clear evidence it will only lead to a complete ban no matter what the you are shooting, at the minute there’s very few alternatives out there and what is, is very expensive. As for shotguns there’s next to nothing that works as good as lead, the only one I can think of is Bismuth and the are about 30 quid a box

Thanks. I couldn't agree more. I don't know the position on rifle rounds but like you I've seen shotshells. £8 a box for lead. £40 - Bismuth, £70 - Tungsten = no alternative plus Tungsten has some health concerns.

If the Government want use to go lead free, they need to subsidise the alternatives down to the cost of lead indefinately until a reasonably priced alternative is found.

• Like 1