Whippet x Grey

I have the opportunity to put my whippet over a greyhound next year, with the intention of taking a pup.

My concern is that I'm always reading that this cross is a bit injury prone - weak feet and such a high prey drive then have a tendency to crash into stuff.

I'm mostly after rabbits on the lamp, but sometimes other opportunities arise. I tend to hunt smaller fields, and do a bit ferreting.

What's peoples personal experiences with them? Are they a liability in the field???

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Suffolkpest said:

I have the opportunity to put my whippet over a greyhound next year, with the intention of taking a pup.

My concern is that I'm always reading that this cross is a bit injury prone - weak feet and such a high prey drive then have a tendency to crash into stuff.

I'm mostly after rabbits on the lamp, but sometimes other opportunities arise. I tend to hunt smaller fields, and do a bit ferreting.

What's peoples personal experiences with them? Are they a liability in the field???

Only one way to find out mate Get it done??
I’ve always liked the racer bred dogs my self for my old land as no second chances were given so needed a racey bred dog but the land was more open land than what I’ve got now so need a dog with a bit more base  blood to take a nock or two 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Suffolkpest said:

max has a two good greyhounds real good distance dogs they were

• Like 1

I've got a 3/4 whip 1/4 grey and she's a decent worker. My opinion is get it out ferreting young so it gets a few knocks before it gets too fast. They are heart in mouth dogs but they do learn. Don't know about a first cross but mine has no problems with it's feet.

• Like 1

A racing whippet breeder I once knew said that the only "whippets" she'd ever had with bad feet were the ones with racing greyhound blood. I didn't realise this was a widely held view but, judging by the question in the initial post, maybe it is. Her reasoning was that both coursing and racing bred pure whippets were produced to run on a variety of surfaces whereas, with greyhounds, it was only the coursing lines which were bred to run on a variety of surfaces. As a result, she felt that although racing greyhounds were (obviously) not bred with no recourse to the quality of their feet, it wasn't as much of a priority. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Neal said:

A racing whippet breeder I once knew said that the only "whippets" she'd ever had with bad feet were the ones with racing greyhound blood. I didn't realise this was a widely held view but, judging by the question in the initial post, maybe it is. Her reasoning was that both coursing and racing bred pure whippets were produced to run on a variety of surfaces whereas, with greyhounds, it was only the coursing lines which were bred to run on a variety of surfaces. As a result, she felt that although racing greyhounds were (obviously) not bred with no recourse to the quality of their feet, it wasn't as much of a priority. 

Racing Greyhounds and coursing Greyhounds are bred with most influence from their results and not from their confirmation I think. If its open class it wouldnt matter to the breeder if it had poor feet. I think it might have been different with English open coursing because they needed to be tougher alround. Not just have pace. 

20 hours ago, jeemes said:

Racing Greyhounds and coursing Greyhounds are bred with most influence from their results and not from their confirmation I think. If its open class it wouldnt matter to the breeder if it had poor feet. I think it might have been different with English open coursing because they needed to be tougher alround. Not just have pace. 

Thanks, that makes sense.?

• Like 1

I've had a total of 4 over a number of years. The first was a bitch and dog out of the same litter, the brindle bitch I lost early  on before I could be her fully broken in.The white and brindle dog was a bigger animal than his sister ,he was a cracker, plenty of prey drive & a ton of pace ,he nailed  alot of daytime rabbits before he broke his neck when he was about 3 years old .I was simply gutted  & decided not to have another for a while ,ten years in fact  ,but when I had the offer of a nice small Ex  track greyhound I jumped at the offer Whom I lined with a working whippet. I've kept two ,a dog and bitch who are now  going well .They aren't a big dogs ,fine and seem to be able to get around without crashing out on the run .They are keen hunters as well as fast .In my opinion the whippet has a much better nose than a greyhound so the cross  improves the nose of the off spring   Had  no feet problems at all from the 4.cheers TB.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, toolebox said:

I've had a total of 4 over a number of years. The first was a bitch and dog out of the same litter, the brindle bitch I lost early  on before I could be her fully broken in.The white and brindle dog was a bigger animal than his sister ,he was a cracker, plenty of prey drive & a ton of pace ,he nailed  alot of daytime rabbits before he broke his neck when he was about 3 years old .I was simply gutted  & decided not to have another for a while ,ten years in fact  ,but when I had the offer of a nice small Ex  track greyhound I jumped at the offer Whom I lined with a working whippet. I've kept two ,a dog and bitch who are now  going well .They aren't a big dogs ,fine and seem to be able to get around without crashing out on the run .They are keen hunters as well as fast .In my opinion the whippet has a much better nose than a greyhound so the cross  improves the nose of the off spring   Had  no feet problems at all from the 4.cheers TB.

Thanks for the reply.

What type of country do you run them on?

Is your whippet a pure whippet or a non ped whippet as the best hardy types i have seen over the years have been the genuine first crosses and then more hardier lurcher's have been produced when the first crosses have been put back to other lurcher crosses this is only my opinion on what i have owned and seen in the past.