Looking in to the past.

33 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Brilliant footage from over a century ago. 

Very humbling and poignant that all of those souls are long gone. 

Looking them in the eyes is like two audiences observing each other across time. 

What you smoking ?

• Like 1

Seen those videos a while ago. I love that sort of stuff. The local facebook page usually has loads of old pictures of the town over the years and its great to see how it all used to be . Streets without any parked cars making you see how big the roads actually are . Big trees in centre of town where now all thats left is the old walls that surrounded it giving no inditaction of the huge trees that used to be there. As ive got older ive started to pay more attention to the towns history. 

Its tempting with all the old pictures and videos to look at them wondering about their lives and how they used to live but fogetting that we are the same people to people in the future . I look at old local football team pictures and see the older guys in pubs in the prime of their life as youngsters who are now retired or long gone . In 30 years time people will be looking back at photos of me and my team thinking the same . 

To be honest im not sure what im rambling about here ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

Seen those videos a while ago. I love that sort of stuff. The local facebook page usually has loads of old pictures of the town over the years and its great to see how it all used to be . Streets without any parked cars making you see how big the roads actually are . Big trees in centre of town where now all thats left is the old walls that surrounded it giving no inditaction of the huge trees that used to be there. As ive got older ive started to pay more attention to the towns history. 

Its tempting with all the old pictures and videos to look at them wondering about their lives and how they used to live but fogetting that we are the same people to people in the future . I look at old local football team pictures and see the older guys in pubs in the prime of their life as youngsters who are now retired or long gone . In 30 years time people will be looking back at photos of me and my team thinking the same . 

Makes perfect sense to me mate.

15 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

Yep, my village has the same sort of FB group. 

It's quite moving when you see old pics of the place you grew up and it's true, nature had more of a hold back then and it's sad to know those days are gone. 

Edited by Greb147

And even over a hundred years ago you'd get folk acting up as soon as the camera comes out ? they were a curio then though, see them watching the bloke cranking the handle. 

The tech now to colourise, upscale and stabalise is impressive. I watched that first world war one last year, poignant to say the least. 

?? 

• Like 1

My Uncle 'Nig':

454735694_UncleNig.jpg.608b7caf6cd06575179813d87078da6a.jpg

He seems to have had that jaw thing that Mush referred to recently. That royal line? This shot doesn't do it justice. But, I knew the man. Eddie The Eagle would have thought twice about going down that slope!

Called 'Nig', short for " Nigger ". Because he was given to riding about, all summer, stripped to the waist. Got tanned so dark even our own people called him that.

No one took offence. Not him. Or on his behalf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have some cracking photos going back to victorian times of my ancestors, a relation did our family tree back to 1652, very interesting showing to grandkids. 

Some census data showing they were all farm hands, labourers and Hackney carridgers. I love going through it all. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

My Uncle 'Nig':

454735694_UncleNig.jpg.608b7caf6cd06575179813d87078da6a.jpg

He seems to have had that jaw thing that Mush referred to recently. That royal line? This shot doesn't do it justice. But, I knew the man. Eddie The Eagle would have thought twice about going down that slope!

Called 'Nig', short for " Nigger ". Because he was given to riding about, all summer, stripped to the waist. Got tanned so dark even our own people called him that.

No one took offence. Not him. Or on his behalf.

This reminds me of one day as a trainee landscape gardener summer of 2000/1, as we approached the Tyne tunnel from the south side they were checking a few vehicles, as I was crammed in the back of the fiesta van with owd Al, aka the bare Knuckle champ, Al piped up they'll think we're fuckun darkies with these sun tans we've got

• Haha 4
12 minutes ago, Gav said:

A relation did our family tree .... Some census data showing they were all farm hands, labourers and Hackney carridgers. I love going through it all. 

Our past is what makes us who we are, Gav. Lose our heritage? We'll lose ourselves.

• Like 3