just a thought

1 minute ago, jigsaw said:

I'd be just pricking about at this stage,a bit of ferreting,some woodland walks,and a bit of everything else,I've no interest in fox,if you can't eat it why bother I think,and I don't need the best of 3,type dogs,I think they'd be exciting to watch 

For edible game they would do you right. Mine lamp, bush, ferret and are not too bad at working the hills. I don’t think it’s down to the breed because I’ve seen a few types do the same type of work. 

• Like 1

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A mate had one that was out of a very well known coursing line put back to a greyhound and it put me off the cross it spend more time in the kennel lame than it did in the field but then my mate got t

We’ve probably already answered this in various forms before. I think most of us would agree that there is as much variation within breeds and types and between sometimes. But you do get certain ‘give

I'm not on about hares,this is for all round bashing about,there's more to life than hares,..if one gets up ,great,we run it and either frighten the shit out of it or kill it,Lucas pucas lol....I'm mo

Posted Images

Yeah,he was a class all rounder,...he caught a lot of hares,and a few foxes and a few big yokes too,ferreted well when young,I was very lucky with him

Seen a few bred that way great lamp few runs daytime out that gets up ?? 

• Like 1

@jigsaw. go for it mate.  You obviously think a lot of the old dog and his abilities/qualities, you've no real interest in foxes, so if the pups don't fancy that side of things, then it's no problem.  You'll have pups from the dog you like, and they'll do most of what you want workwise as well.  I'd try to get em mated together if I was in your shoes. ?

Oh yeah, you using your red/fawn bitch?

7 minutes ago, shaaark said:

@jigsaw. go for it mate.  You obviously think a lot of the old dog and his abilities/qualities, you've no real interest in foxes, so if the pups don't fancy that side of things, then it's no problem.  You'll have pups from the dog you like, and they'll do most of what you want workwise as well.  I'd try to get em mated together if I was in your shoes. ?

Oh yeah, you using your red/fawn bitch?

Yeah,the dam of the kelpie X,,I may have to make hard decisions to facilitate such a move,we will see....would a 12 year old dog knock a litter out I wonder?...he's asleep on the sofa as I write, enjoying the pampering he gets now

• Like 1

A few slag 3/4 breds off be it collie/bedlington /deerhound/saluki etc myself i have seen a good number decent enough on edible game for someone after a bit of sport on edibles i like them. Not everyone has the access for numbers or the real dedication and time to really test the dogs. This type will give the mooching/knockabout lurcherman some sport.

• Like 3

Yeah,the dam of the kelpie X,,I may have to make hard decisions to facilitate such a move,we will see....would a 12 year old dog knock a litter out I wonder?...he's asleep on the sofa as I write, enjoying the pampering he gets now

Got to be worth a try though mate.  Get em around each other as much as is safely possible while she's in season, then when she's ready, let them couple as often as she allows.

I'm certainly no expert in dog breeding or dog fertility mind, but that makes sense to me. ?

Just now, shaaark said:

Got to be worth a try though mate.  Get em around each other as much as is safely possible while she's in season, then when she's ready, let them couple as often as she allows.

I'm certainly no expert in dog breeding or dog fertility mind, but that makes sense to me. ?

They actually share the run of the yard and  a box the whole time,and she is quiet accomodating when in heat,any thing with a dick would do lol.....

• Haha 1

They actually share the run of the yard and  a box the whole time,and she is quiet accomodating when in heat,any thing with a dick would do lol.....

Yeah get it done mate.  If she falls pregnant, you'll have a sire to the pups that not only is he the 'exact' cross you want, but one that you know his work/field skills/experience intimately, with no half arsed lies/guesswork.  WIN WIN ?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Ask mrs jigsaw to get her marigolds on an find out of ole sonic is still fertile ?? then run before she kicks your balls ??

give the poor dog a quick wank an find out ?

Jaysus your a strange one lol...you saw my WhatsApp msg?

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

No mate, what’s app is shite it never reworks for me, I got new phone now tho so I’ll try again ffs ?‍♂️? big business over here just now, professional dog wanker ??

No wonder the world is f****d

• Haha 1

We’ve probably already answered this in various forms before. I think most of us would agree that there is as much variation within breeds and types and between sometimes. But you do get certain ‘givens’ with some breeds or crosses over others. Also the parents and grand parents mean more than the %s etc most of the time. 

So in theory a three quarter grey quarter Sal should be quick enough for anything, have the stamina for a bit and if they are bred out of parents worth breeding from should come to something worth feeding in theory on the way they put together and more importantly their heart. 

And there are always homes for good pups. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Andrew Beirne said:

Would you not be tempted to go the other way out the old boy over a pure saluki ? 

I've a pure already Andrew,and the lack of big rabbits gives me little to do with him,I think a speedy all rounder is the way forward,