Cod, fish and the EU

Just been shopping and bought us a couple of sea bream for tea tonight...  They had some rather skinny, sad looking cod on ice and I was curious. Where the hell has it come from ?‍♂️ A legal requirement here, is all catch tickets have to be displayed or available on request... All this cod had come through Norway?‍♂️ From what I can gather, the EU are using Norway to get their North Sea cod quotas into the bloc, whereas before I'd hazard 70-80% was landed in Blighty and exported. 

First time I've seen fresh cod in about 2-3 months tbh. 

Anybody know if UK boats are still landing and if so where is the fish going?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Emailed my MP this. Cheers Arry

That isn't the fault of Brexit as more of the EU cutting it's nose off to spite our face! UK cannot be seen as being successful post Brexit, nor will they dictators agree a trade deal. Pure spite

Because France and Spain have no cod fisheries of their own historically they fished off the Grand Banks and dried and salted the catch on the American coastal shores. This was the case for hundreds o

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Just been shopping and bought us a couple of sea bream for tea tonight...  They had some rather skinny, sad looking cod on ice and I was curious. Where the hell has it come from ?‍♂️ A legal requirement here, is all catch tickets have to be displayed or available on request... All this cod had come through Norway?‍♂️ From what I can gather, the EU are using Norway to get their North Sea cod quotas into the bloc, whereas before I'd hazard 70-80% was landed in Blighty and exported. 

Plenty of fish at the market still here but I always thought alot of the  cod came from the North Sea tbh. 

When you say sea Bream mush, what kind? 

WWW.EURACTIV.COM

The Scottish fishing industry is counting the "crippling" costs of new bureaucratic requirements...

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Fishermen complain of broken government promises, while exporters...

WWW.POLITICO.EU

Agricultural exporters are finding their goods blocked — and want UK...

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Just re-read my post I meant 70-80% of the quota would've been caught in UK waters by whichever flagged trawler. 

@South hams hunter these things....

20210329_203612.jpg

Gilthead ?

There's all sorts of issues with the fishing industry atm, way above my pay grade to even begin to comprehend 

2 minutes ago, sandymere said:
WWW.EURACTIV.COM

The Scottish fishing industry is counting the "crippling" costs of new bureaucratic requirements...

That isn't the fault of Brexit as more of the EU cutting it's nose off to spite our face!

UK cannot be seen as being successful post Brexit, nor will they dictators agree a trade deal. Pure spite!

However the Spanish, French etc consumers still want their fresh fish and seafood.

• Like 3

A little unreported gem is that the EU sent a directive to customs in Ireland to apply an extra, and more damaging rule, to road transport from the UK.

They did this on completion of the trade deal.

They don’t apply the same rule to sea or air freight......that is totally genuine.

The head of the road transport boys told TD’s at a committee hearing the other day and even they didnt know about it.

Dont know if they have done the same in the rest of the bloc but I bet it’s a safe bet that they have.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1

The rule they applied is on groupage (I’m sure you all know what groupage is so I won’t explain) but if one single line on one bit of paper relating to a single package is wrong, the whole truck and every other bit of freight is held or rejected.

• Like 2
Just now, WILF said:

The rule they applied is on groupage (I’m sure you all know what groupage is so I won’t explain) but if one single line on one bit of paper relating to a single package is wrong, the whole truck and every other bit of freight is held or rejected.

I heard something about this the other day. Spanish truckers were kicking off because they were being held up on their return trips. Some had entire loads (no idea what) rejected due to paperwork. The EU is doing all it can to warn members out is not an option. Even if it means paralysing businesses and trade based in the EU. People are seeing it here mind ;)

Anyways..... my Gilthead (thanks SHH) was caught in the Med ?

2 minutes ago, mushroom said:

I heard something about this the other day. Spanish truckers were kicking off because they were being held up on their return trips. Some had entire loads (no idea what) rejected due to paperwork. The EU is doing all it can to warn members out is not an option. Even if it means paralysing businesses and trade based in the EU. People are seeing it here mind ;)

Anyways..... my Gilthead (thanks SHH) was caught in the Med ?

Yep, it’s blatant politics mate 

50 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Trawlers fished North Sea  Norway for cod ?? And anyone fished for cod or filleted it always ate haddock lol why the southerners like cod we sent it all out a town ? ?? Kept the haddock  

now be Russian or Norwegian freezer trawlers we get most has been for ages ?? 

Edited by mC HULL
1 hour ago, South hams hunter said:

Plenty of fish at the market still here but I always thought alot of the  cod came from the North Sea tbh. 

When you say sea Bream mush, what kind? 

Where i launch my boats it's near Orford Island which was one of the best cod fishing beaches on the Anglian coast if not the best,no cod there any more and it's summer fish like rays and Bass being caught as well as just pin whiting during the winter these days..The sea is warming ......

3 minutes ago, fireman said:

Where i launch my boats it's near Orford Island which was one of the best cod fishing beaches on the Anglian coast if not the best,no cod there any more and it's summer fish like rays and Bass being caught as well as just pin whiting during the winter these days..The sea is warming ......

Same here mate, we can catch Ray all year now if you put the time in and bass and Bream 

• Like 1

I think that the UK  being the  old wise man of Europe its determined not sink to the level of the petulant child of Europe the EU's level and lead by example as we always have, these acts by the EU do harm us in the short term but they are also an act of self harm, I believe over time  internal pressure from within the EU  will see them put there toys back in the pram and see sense, until then we just have to be the better man ?

2 hours ago, mushroom said:

That isn't the fault of Brexit as more of the EU cutting it's nose off to spite our face!

UK cannot be seen as being successful post Brexit, nor will they dictators agree a trade deal. Pure spite!

However the Spanish, French etc consumers still want their fresh fish and seafood.

It's just the deal that was agreed by Boris, things like the shellfish rules we voted for when in the EU, has come back to bite us. Shite negotiating. 

WWW.EXPRESS.CO.UK

BORIS JOHNSON refused to rule out a trade war with Brussels if it didn't back down on its live...
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

PM stands by Victoria Prentis over admission she was too ‘busy’ to read deal, as SNP...

You not one of the deportees then. 

FB_IMG_1617050616176.jpg.d2e073c73d6371650aa05685d0fd392b.jpg

Edited by sandymere