Hawke moan....

So, what is going on at Hawke? 

First off, my airmax 3-9 was very indefinite click wise... Really horrid non positive and rock back. Yuck. 

I carry on believing in the brand, and I bought a fast mount with an HW97, just to shoot it. It looses zero and it turns out the mounds are oozing out plastic crud. I check the torque on rails and rings and it's bang on. So I can the plastic crud and mounts get some sports match mounts and the Fastmount is sorted, has remained sorted. I mean.. It keeps zero but its as clear as mud.. Fifty quid Amazon punt scope is much much better. 

Then, (I know I must be mental) my Airmax Compact SF Scope is driving me crackers. It always feels like the gun is canted in my hands when the ret is vertical so I plumpline and level the scope and find the ret is p*ssed. It goes back to Opticswarehouse who are magic and let my upgrade to my Falcon which is frankly... Amazing... 

Then today I find the last set of Hawke mounts on a cheaper little number in the collection just pulled a thread. Now I use a torque screwdriver because I'm anal... And the thread has gone at exactly the recommended setting. What? 

Then I note that the Fastmount 6 to 24s are going for a ton. Blimey I think my fast mount 3-12 has kept its zero, I've got a spare set of sportsmatch mounts, I'll have one of them, so I head to my local shop who always match deals to find out there fast mount has been sold to them at the same price point as a Vantage.. RRP 169. On the Web they are a hundred quid Inc postage mostly.... I'm calling them tomorrow. 

I need to have a chat with them. 

There is too much Chinese stuff rebranded that exactly the same quality for shooters or buy Hawke. If any branded stuff. I've got a 50 quid Amazon scope that tracks back to zero perfectly on my underlver it only a few points off its natural zero! 

Hi JakeFury.

I no longer entertain anything by Hawke. Their scope mounts are crude monkey metal that only seem to last any long term use on PCPs. 

I have had Airmax scopes and even a higher spec Sidewinder all go kaput on my spring rifles. They just don't seem to last repetitive recoil after a few years of regular shooting use.

I wouldn't even bother putting one on my FAC HW80. 22. It will smash a cheap scope in no time. 

They start out well enough and, with their chair gun software, a Hawke scope with an SCB12 reticle I had, was absolutely brilliant on my HW77.22. I swore by it. Then one day it all went blurred and lost zero. 

So far, the two Panorama scopes I have are alright because they are in my cabinet un-used. But the eye relief is so short I need to mount them as far back as I can fit them and it all looks ridiculous. 

Now I only buy Bushnell (Banners and their sadly discontinued Scopechief) or Nikon. The Nikon Fieldmaster 6-18x40 SF I have on my HW80 magnum is brilliant.

I've wasted more cash with Hawke than the best of these brands cost. Other lads here will no doubt say their Hawke scopes have been brilliant. But my experience has sadly not been so.

Best regards.

Simon/Pianoman. 

I totally agree with Simon regarding the Hawke mounts, utter garbage but as am not a springer shooter, the Hawkes I have had or still own are superb, Endurance, Vantage 30 WA s/f, Airmax and Airmax 30 Compact, Varmint and a cheapo Fastmount have all been excellent but I am the first to admit they were / are all used on pcp an rimfire rifles.

I have never used any Bushnell scopes and not for any particulat reason other than the fact that I have never looked through one but only heard good things about them.

Phil

• Thanks 1

No, no problems at all with Hawke scopes, as yet and I mainly shoot spring piston sub 12 air rifles :hmm:.

I am still using the Hawke Endurance L4 reticle scope with the HW97 I bought from you Simon and that combo knocks all before it down.

fullsizeoutput_7e.jpeg.d72a3f2631025b8ef2d2c6569e211fa0.jpeg

The Hawke panorama 2-7x32 on my FWB Sport is another favourite hunting scope.

The Vantage on my MK1 HW80 another.

Air Max on my HW 100.

Up to now no breakages to my Hawke scopes.( touch wood)

• Like 1

Well, in reply to this my last Hawke Fastmount I think has just let go of its final zero. I have a replacement on its way. Last bloody chance. 

But I spoke to Hawke the other day. 

I asked why my local dealer was selling fast mount 11465 at Vantage prices. She gave me a load of bull. Why would a local shop buy in fast mount scopes you make in China to sell them at 169 quid when I can buy the same scope online for a ton. You are conning people Deeben Hawke. 

First thing I will do is get you shite mounts and bin them. 

If this scope is bent or doesn't hold zero like the others. The truth will out. 

I have torque screw drivers and one piece SM mounts on all my Rifles. All my Rifles recoil. 

It ain't looking good. 

You do seem to have some seriously bad luck Jake. I assume the Fastmount must be available in a higher spec as I only paid £50 for mine which I bought as a spare to use on an hw99.  Perhaps you need to try another make of scope now although I would steer well clear of MTC.

Good luck with it mate.

Phil

55 minutes ago, philpot said:

You do seem to have some seriously bad luck Jake. I assume the Fastmount must be available in a higher spec as I only paid £50 for mine which I bought as a spare to use on an hw99.  Perhaps you need to try another make of scope now although I would steer well clear of MTC.

Good luck with it mate.

Phil

Oh mate. 

You ain't kidding. 

I've had it all going on. 

The fast mount pinnacle it seems is the 6 to 24 x 50 at 100 quid or if your Deeben rep convinces your dealer its a Vantage 169 quid. 

When I spoke to them... She said loads of stuff which lead he to believe that the Fastmount and Vantage scopes were a rebrand of the same bloody thing for more money. It better be good. Lol

I've got Hawke scopes on all my air rifles and one on the rimmy and never had a problem , if fact when my son dropped the air arms he did more damage to the gun than the scope 

14 hours ago, The one said:

I've got Hawke scopes on all my air rifles and one on the rimmy and never had a problem , if fact when my son dropped the air arms he did more damage to the gun than the scope 

Well that's good to hear mate. 

They are very good at sorting out problems, but then they are just selling a cheaply made Chinese product... A well made cheaply made Chinese product I'll grant you. 

My Airmax 3 to 9 was rubbish mind, ithe click quality was poor even the guy I sold it to on eBay complained and I said sorry mate Hawke have told me they are supposed to be like that... Ring them and ask them... He did. I assume. As he didn't ask me for a refund..... My expensive Airmax was genuinely on the slope...what can I do, gotta tell ya... But I'm mostly annoyed that their product prices vary, she said she had no idea why my local dealer at a Fastmount priced as a Vantage. When I ask they look at what they paid for it. And work out what it owes them to see if they can match a discount, which is why I rung them. They've bought it in at the wrong price, and Hawke won't resolve it, so it's the dealer theyce stuffed too. That's not fair really. If it had been me I'd have rung them and said, what price did you pay for it. We'll sort it. As I know that dealer as matched every price I've ever asked them too.. Solware, Redbeck, etc etc.... That's my point I won't Labour it lol

One of my favourite scopes on my springers is an original Whitetail Classic (I’ve got 2), the ones not made in China, I think they where made in the Philippines, cracking glass on them & clarity, mine must easily be 10 years plus and still going strong...

2 hours ago, Kalibrgun said:

I prefer the older sport hd Hawke and the panoramas but won't go wrong with falcon my favourite was the m18+ cracking scope 

Got a Falcon M18 on my Falcon Lighthunter PCP, definitely built to last and superb optics for the price...it gives some welcomed weight to the rifle...too heavy for my HW springers though.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Gaoler said:

Got a Falcon M18 on my Falcon Lighthunter PCP, definitely built to last and superb optics for the price...it gives some welcomed weight to the rifle...too heavy for my HW springers though.

I've an tri priest 2 performance coming tomorrow so will put my old wtc x40 philly scope on it for now but will definitely be getting another m18 mrad for that and get back to dialling in with turret stickers instead of holdover/under 

Edited by Kalibrgun

Maybe I've had bad luck but a number of Hawke scopes going broke is not going to inspire great confidence. I have no doubt there is a lot of you lads here who are mystified by any poor reports of this brand. 

However...The Endurance scope I sold with my HW97 to Mark was a really beautiful scope. Not a cheap one either! It cost well over 200 quid but it was absolutely fantastic on my HW97 .177.

My eyesight has aged a bit and I can't see a sharp sight picture with fixed focus scopes so, l have to use adjustable focus Objectjve lenses. 

It was a sad day when I sold that combo but, l needed cash and Mark is getting the sport he deserves out of it all and that does me good to see what great shooting he's getting. 

I suppose I would consider a quality Hawke again for any of my PCPs but, not for my springers. Let's put it that way. 

But only with Sportsmatch mounts. No debate there!

Simon/Pianoman. 

• Like 2