Anyone remember club row

2 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

You'll probably remember lads from back then if you're around my age.

I'll mention their names as they are probably dead or won't mind me mentioning them.

The Thackeray's , I lamped and coursed with them.

"Chilli", long gone but a great lurcher man.

Jonh the Postie, was slip Steward for the Coquetdale and Border Coursing Club. Had days out with him with my one and only Terrier.

Old mate of mine I've know since I was a kid, " Doctor Ptoctor, the horse doctor"

Also drank in The Boathouse, another pub now gone

Bought and sold dogs at the gypsy camp next door, also gone.

Getting all nostalgic ! ? !

Cheers.

yes i can remember a few. little jimmy thackeray liked the chickens. 

• Like 1

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good old days. I remember a pub we used to go to over 50 years ago, on a Saturday, about 15 mile away, a long way back then. It was called The Lemington Hotel, but known far and wide as "The

It's no big deal, mate. My wife, my late daughter and myself walked up to the local pub for a meal. I knew exactly what the cost would be, me being an obsessive compulsive. The barman o

We used to get in the bird pubs. As kids the animal market was eye opening you could get  most things animal wise but look back at the times  from serious bird dealers to dog thieving cnts. It was all

Posted Images

Just now, antg said:

yes i can remember a few. little jimmy thackeray liked the chickens. 

Jimmy and his brother Geordie were the ones I knocked about with, Jimmy is,I think, still alive, but the last time I saw Geordie was years ago at a ride out from Walkergate to North Shields. Had a drink with him and his big pal from Heddon in the Fosseway pub but I know he died . Their  families still live around here and I met young Johnny in the Perigrine pub......the day I got barred ! ?

But thats another story !

Cheers.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Jimmy and his brother Geordie were the ones I knocked about with, Jimmy is,I think, still alive, but the last time I saw Geordie was years ago at a ride out from Walkergate to North Shields. Had a drink with him and his big pal from Heddon in the Fosseway pub but I know he died . Their  families still live around here and I met young Johnny in the Perigrine pub......the day I got barred ! ?

But thats another story !

Cheers.

Go on then chart, let's hear that story. Enjoying reading about these characters 

2 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Go on then chart, let's hear that story. Enjoying reading about these characters 

It's no big deal, mate.

My wife, my late daughter and myself walked up to the local pub for a meal.

I knew exactly what the cost would be, me being an obsessive compulsive.

The barman over charged me, so I asked to see the bill, he refused, and called me a c**t so I got a bit over excited and tried to get over the bar to explain my point of view.

He ran away, the manageress came, told me to leave, the lads in the bar agreed with me, but I was still barred.

All for £1:50, but it's the principle that counts !! ? !!

Cheers.

• Haha 8
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

It's no big deal, mate.

My wife, my late daughter and myself walked up to the local pub for a meal.

I knew exactly what the cost would be, me being an obsessive compulsive.

The barman over charged me, so I asked to see the bill, he refused, and called me a c**t so I got a bit over excited and tried to get over the bar to explain my point of view.

He ran away, the manageress came, told me to leave, the lads in the bar agreed with me, but I was still barred.

All for £1:50, but it's the principle that counts !! ? !!

Cheers.

1.50 or 1500 mate, Completely agree 

I'm to young to know those places in London because we didn't live there but father used to frequent them.  He lodged and worked in London.  I vaguely remember being taken to petticoat lane market on odd Sundays when I  stayed up there during holidays.  I remember the shouts of the market traders.  In the streets there were rag and bone men that came round the streets like Steptoe and son standing up on the cart and shouting out.  Even in those days someone coming round on a horse and cart was out moded .  It must have been towards the end of an era.  I remember more about Maidstone market. With birds,  rabbits,  puppies, kittens, snakes and alĺ sorts for sale. there were several large buildings with rails like clothes rails of ducks, geese, partridge, pheasants, hares.    In fact every sort of creature was there for auction by lot.  There were lorry loads of potatoes, boxes of broad beans, runner beans, lettices .  Again every sort of veg that was available.  Again it seemed to be the end of an era because none of these lots seemed to make any sort of money and most were withdrawn from the auctions.  It can't have Been worth taking the stuff there or even growing growing it.  Suddenly the market changed from a vibrant hub to a small amount of tat stalls. all the character's, the noise and smell of the market were gone. The stall holders and their sales speel  like the bloke juggling sets of crockery and the blokes on the meat lorry hacking carcasses down into chops and joint on a block in the back of a lorry with the crowd pushing forward waving notes to get a carrier bag of meat. There were tables of used second hand clothes pulled up high and crowds of women virtually fighting over some item of clothing.  Nowadays people wouldn't bother doig and it would all go for scrap rag. The charity shops won't even accept clothes unless they are like new. It used to be said that some mbongo in Biafra would be grateful but even they don't want it now.  Memories a past.  All gone now.

• Like 3

Remember fondly the tap room of the Yellow lion in Greasbrough nr Rotherham over 40 years ago were they would be more dogs in than people on a sunday dinner time session and it was not unusual for fold down 410s to be propped up in the corner . The other pub in the area that was frequently used by dog lads and the poaching fraternity was the Crossfield tavern at Highgreen nr Sheffield owned by the well known greyhound coursing man Crim Smith. Its sad that these establishments and the characters that frequented them no longer exist .

• Like 1

Club Row was literally round the corner from where i lived as a kid but i only have very vague memories of it as i simply had no interest in animals back then my sister has some old photos of me and my brother standing with monkeys on our shoulders and i remember odd bits and bobs mainly interesting characters flogging litters of pups out of cardboard boxes and our mother rifling through all the bundles of clothes....i vaguely remember the ol man going in The Knave of Clubs that had all sorts of mad animals and birds....i just had too much other shit going on in my mind to be worrying about animals as a child ?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Club Row was literally round the corner from where i lived as a kid but i only have very vague memories of it as i simply had no interest in animals back then my sister has some old photos of me and my brother standing with monkeys on our shoulders and i remember odd bits and bobs mainly interesting characters flogging litters of pups out of cardboard boxes and our mother rifling through all the bundles of clothes....i vaguely remember the ol man going in The Knave of Clubs that had all sorts of mad animals and birds....i just had too much other shit going on in my mind to be worrying about animals as a child ?

Here I am 60,s pics with me monkeys Complete with me reindeer jumper an dog tooth coat lol stylish cnt even back then ?

2B2C93AD-97B3-4C26-A266-6F40CDB44C7A.jpeg

63955BB5-0DEC-4255-B4EA-0C221E0A1B20.jpeg

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 6

Our family was rabbit chickens  n fish mad,  New Zealand whites wer bred n sold  fir money  and sell pet shops Dutch n angoras  when we moved to barking at the time was London’s poorest borough it was eels and more eels that’s when I took up fishing  the tin bath wernt for use if it was holding eels they was money back then , and the brownfield sites held rabbits galore , the snowflakes of today av a meltdown,  my local pub was dogs birds cards an gambling  love it ? mates uncle was prime seat for selling anything might be harping on but that was the days when doors wer on latch an everyone helped everyone not like nowdays  more knifey n ruthless cnts than normal , ther wer rules back then and you knew ya place ya look wrong way at the oldens  you got Ass spanked  dare you Gob off you got a Ronan keating ? everyone new you needed a pound note  and that was game , but if u acted up robbing old  folk or being a large ass  someone get on ya case to level ya lol 

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, green lurchers said:

Our family was rabbit chickens  n fish mad,  New Zealand whites wer bred n sold  fir money  and sell pet shops Dutch n angoras  when we moved to barking at the time was London’s poorest borough it was eels and more eels that’s when I took up fishing  the tin bath wernt for use if it was holding eels they was money back then , and the brownfield sites held rabbits galore , the snowflakes of today av a meltdown,  my local pub was dogs birds cards an gambling  love it ? mates uncle was prime seat for selling anything might be harping on but that was the days when doors wer on latch an everyone helped everyone not like nowdays  more knifey n ruthless cnts than normal , ther wer rules back then and you knew ya place ya look wrong way at the oldens  you got Ass spanked  dare you Gob off you got a Ronan keating ? everyone new you needed a pound note  and that was game , but if u acted up robbing old  folk or being a large ass  someone get on ya case to level ya lol 

The poorest parts of London has always been Newham/Tower Hamlets/Hackney always was and still is today as far as im aware.....not sure if you are old enough to have lived in Barking when it was in Essex or London but i remember being told that even West Ham was classed as Essex at the turn of the century.....i started pronouncing my H's once i heard i had middle class heritage ?

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

The poorest parts of London has always been Newham/Tower Hamlets/Hackney always was and still is today as far as im aware.....not sure if you are old enough to have lived in Barking when it was in Essex or London but i remember being told that even West Ham was classed as Essex at the turn of the century.....i started pronouncing my H's once i heard i had middle class heritage ?

It’s ok for you Swanky London boys how much them drums round vicki park ? Lol go back in time newham posh ?

9C1EECD0-4F50-440E-BDED-041F25338BC9.jpeg

9498E468-2DEA-47AB-9192-8830E20C9CEE.jpeg

Edited by green lurchers