4z 6z 8z what does it mean?

when long nts are offered for sale there is usualy 4z  or 6z or 8z aded to the discription. but what does that mean? i expect that the 8z is the thickest ropes used. but if so how thick is a 8z rope? and why and when would you choose for 4z and when for 6 z or 8z? i got one 50 yard quick set here i bought it second hand so do not know what size z it is. 

I am no expert but the z means it's twisted nylon as apposed to spun nylon. the number is the breaking strain. 4z means 40 pounds, 6z 60 pounds, 8z 80 pounds. 4z is the thinnest and best for night netting it tangles rabbits up lovely. 6 and 8 are better for daytime ferreting, they can stand a bit more heavy duty around hedges, brambles etc. netrigger and Mr Wilkes on here could advise you better as they understand twines far better than me?

Edited by fred90
  • Like 3

Amazing I thought a net is a net after reading different articles on this forum and others on the internet from the size of the mesh , type of materials used. I mainly use purse nets and have made up a dozen or so from a large fishing net that I cut up put rings on. I found them to be good and the mesh is very small around 15 mm square. Nothing escapes from them. 

• Like 1

I forgot to ask does the colour of the nets weather they are purse or long nets make any difference. And also the bagging of the net on a long net from pole to pole. If it is 10 feet between poles how much netting should be used. I also have a 150 foot long fishing net that is a trummal net so I have been told I have removed the floats and the lead and have used it as a long net got plenty of rabbits with it. It is 3 layers the two outer is a small mesh and the inner one is a large mesh it has the nick name of Mr tangles nothing gets away when it hits it. I will post up some photos of it when I get a chance in the next couple of days with the size of the mesh and any ideas weather or not it’s any good. 

Here are the photos of the net the outer mesh is 30mm and the middle mesh is 120 mm as I did measured it. It was origanly a fishing net when I got it and I removed the floats and lead weights and just hang it up and it has worked very well. The down fall it picks up every leaf and twigs it touches and the rabbits very really get away but not so easy to get out. 

219A5248-9EF0-413D-8DA9-F771B0932576.jpeg

5E1EB04E-164E-4D49-A7BC-C4ADE5D69C40.jpeg

464FA605-F4BC-415D-B45D-DFDBCDB93813.jpeg

• Like 1
On 30/03/2021 at 10:16, Guss33 said:

I forgot to ask does the colour of the nets weather they are purse or long nets make any difference. And also the bagging of the net on a long net from pole to pole. If it is 10 feet between poles how much netting should be used. I also have a 150 foot long fishing net that is a trummal net so I have been told I have removed the floats and the lead and have used it as a long net got plenty of rabbits with it. It is 3 layers the two outer is a small mesh and the inner one is a large mesh it has the nick name of Mr tangles nothing gets away when it hits it. I will post up some photos of it when I get a chance in the next couple of days with the size of the mesh and any ideas weather or not it’s any good. 

your poles (pegs in the uk )are a bit close together at 10 feet....

if its a pre set net i prefer 6-8 yards depending on the net .....i know lots of lads like 5 yards wich can be handy on shorter nets say 25 yarders or shorter....but my big net at 100 yards is 8 yards between pegs...

of course having and extra few pegs can be handy when you need one in between your set pegs..

• Like 1
On 30/03/2021 at 11:01, Guss33 said:

Amazing I thought a net is a net after reading different articles on this forum and others on the internet from the size of the mesh , type of materials used. I mainly use purse nets and have made up a dozen or so from a large fishing net that I cut up put rings on. I found them to be good and the mesh is very small around 15 mm square. Nothing escapes from them. 

can you also put up some pics of your self made purse nets? i've been thnking and also trying fishingnets as longnets. but the ones i treid where cheap china momofilament gill nets and these where impossible to set out and after that reuse aigain. i treid them for rats and not for rabbits. 

This is one of the Purse nets I mad up its 6 foot long its a piece of fishing net cut into a square and for the rings I used key rings. Put the draw strings in and their it is. A bit rough but works well. On mate of mine did have a good idea to extend the draw strings and have a pin at both ends which is something I will do on some to see how it works. But I don’t use them that often mainly under logs and large openings. 

440DDC30-6EF3-4C82-80EA-F8A807B49B70.jpeg

89FB7156-9643-4591-9A44-95B026EB08AA.jpeg

• Like 1

Another net we do use is a ground nets we just lay them over the rabbit warrens put the ferrets in and the rabbits get tangled up in them this is the lazy way if you can’t be bothered putting up long nets or putting down 50 or so plus purse nets. You will need to enlarge the photo to see it. We also use the same nets around garden beds. 

D85ADE26-DCDE-4BC2-AD1C-EBCF1E4177CC.jpeg

75BC5FFA-8C26-4D51-B464-3660B23AB4E5.jpeg

• Like 1

The ground nets are around 20 feet long and we store them in buckets. Does anyone have any photos of the poke nets on how they do the double pins it looks simple but I do want to get it correct. 

On 31/03/2021 at 09:08, Guss33 said:

Here are the photos of the net the outer mesh is 30mm and the middle mesh is 120 mm as I did measured it. It was origanly a fishing net when I got it and I removed the floats and lead weights and just hang it up and it has worked very well. The down fall it picks up every leaf and twigs it touches and the rabbits very really get away but not so easy to get out. 

219A5248-9EF0-413D-8DA9-F771B0932576.jpeg

5E1EB04E-164E-4D49-A7BC-C4ADE5D69C40.jpeg

464FA605-F4BC-415D-B45D-DFDBCDB93813.jpeg

That's a trammel net Guss 

• Like 1