Ive used anything from cb caps, shorts, cb longs, z lang, hollow point subs, high velocity hp’s. They all work in the right situation. At 40-45 yards, squirrels on the ground I’d choose z lang or hollow point subs, whichever suit your barrel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like Eley subs best of all although i've used a lot of other makes too.

The RWS Z Lang is a low powered target round really. I think from memory it's 29g roundhead (not hollowpoint) that does about 45ftlbs it's an LR as opposed to a short.

Very good on squirrels.    

• Like 2
9 hours ago, ianm said:

None of them are GOOD for squirrels, they tend to kill em! ?

????

On 26/03/2021 at 17:01, villaman said:

What .22lr ammo would be good for squirrels , probably up to 40 -45 yards 

There is no answer to this question,  every gun is different.  The 22lr is probably the most stable round which will take all sorts of different makes and be ok.  Almost any round will give reasonably  good results. Some better than others.

Anything will do on a squirrel if you put it in the right place.

Even though squirrels are tuff, a well placed .22 is a very one sided contest with a squirrel!

Cheapest ammo you can find that works well/accurately in your rifle.

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 3

I’ve been using Norma subs . I bought a 1000 and I’ve probably shot 150 so far . I was looking for an accurate and good alternative to the old Australian Winchester rounds that I’d been shooting and that I’d liked . I’m not disappointed. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I’ve been using Norma subs . I bought a 1000 and I’ve probably shot 150 so far . I was looking for an accurate and good alternative to the old Australian Winchester rounds that I’d been shooting and that I’d liked . I’m not disappointed. 

Yep I use these as well , but just wondered if something with less FPS , only shooting at 40-45 yards 

4 hours ago, villaman said:

Yep I use these as well , but just wondered if something with less FPS , only shooting at 40-45 yards 

RWS Z Lang @ around 47 ft lbs, I’ve used these at up to 75 yards. There’s cci bc long, but they’re only accurate to about 30 yards. I used to use Remington c bee’s @ 40 ft lbs they are basically a yellow jacket hollow point with reduced powder load. They were brilliant for what you are looking for, but I don’t think anyone is importing Remington rimfire ammo atm, so unless you can source old stock somewhere it might be difficult to get any. In fact, I’d like some more of those myself.

86D594E1-CF99-4B46-A822-83FB0942B25C.jpeg

Edited by Dervburner
  • Like 1