Strength of beer % preference

1 hour ago, tilimangro said:

I don’t drink anymore

when I did and I drank 4% like becks vier or even the fosters type i was ok

soon as I started on the 5% stuff it started going wrong

It’s mad the difference that 1% can make, gets me a lot more pissed having 5 pints of Stella compared to 5 pints of fosters 

• Like 1

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

4.5-5.5 for me

This seasons cider I knocked up about 6% which is quite nice I don’t really like much weaker than that but if you do go down the strong road you can’t neck them.

I like beer around the 5% mark - some of the really strong ones have a taste that I don't like.   Generally I prefer cider - Henry Westons is nice but, at just over 8% I don't have too many.

Posted Images

I like beer around the 5% mark - some of the really strong ones have a taste that I don't like.

Generally I prefer cider - Henry Westons is nice but, at just over 8% I don't have too many.

Given the choice, I'd go for a nice dark rum.

• Like 4

The bars I had in Nederlands during the 80's we stocked a "Satan" and "Lucifer" ale 13% and 11% respectivly, both were black like treacle and was bloody lovely.

I personaly drink 9%+ so I don't have to keep going for a piss - same effect ?

11 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

I make my own, from kits. Far too idle to fukking stand about, sparging my wort. Fukking Eight Hour Day knocking out a brew?! When would I get to drink it???

And, I really can't be arsed with even a Quarter of the 'Set In Stone Absolute RULES' that the Home Brew Community pass down in whispered tones.

Been at it far too long now to swallow their fear. I make my shit. I drink it. Tastes alright to me. Strength? No idea. It makes me increasingly 'Talkshitative', so it's something in there.

Kit tin's labelled " Stout ". 

TLDR? I drink beer the vast majority of my waking time. About the 5% mark seems to suit me.

kit beer has come on a long way from the days of the "boots" kits. ive done some lovely stout kits in the past. Coopers, Simply stout kits turn out good beer imo. i brew all grain but still do the odd Coopers stout now and then because.... well.... its damn good. ?

• Like 1

I like PORTER style drinks that come in around 6%  and like to make it from scratch  though if you like to make it from Sachets  you can use MANGROVE JACK Pouches these are very good and only take 10 minutes to make plus Fermentation and conditioning costing around £15 for 40 pints , my Mrs has made  very strong Beers in the past including Russian Imperial  and Belgian Stouts and though tasting ok  they are just to strong to drink like normal  Beer, if there is a type of Beer that you are fond of just get in touch with a Craft Beer supplier and they will provide you with the Grain , Yeast , Hops ETC to make it for around £20 for 40 pints .

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Nobody is going to tell me they actually enjoy those super strong dark ales, taste like battery acid. 

I do! Couldn't drink them every night or wouldn't drink them in the house but on a night out in a real ale bar I'll have at least two pints of the strong dark stuff, them maybe a couple of the paler, lighter ale.

1 minute ago, mushroom said:

I do! Couldn't drink them every night or wouldn't drink them in the house but on a night out in a real ale bar I'll have at least two pints of the strong dark stuff, them maybe a couple of the paler, lighter ale.

Tbf I haven't really tried them in the boozer, I'm talking about the cheap canned shite.

Just now, Greb147 said:

Tbf I haven't really tried them in the boozer, I'm talking about the cheap canned shite.

Nah mate real ale. Over here you get something called Voll Damm it's around 8% toasted malt...... it gives me the worst heartburn you can imagine. Nothing like real ales of similar or stronger %

5 hours ago, antg said:

kit beer has come on a long way from the days of the "boots" kits. ive done some lovely stout kits in the past. Coopers .... still do the odd Coopers stout now and then because.... well.... its damn good. ?

Not letting me 'Like', today, mate. But, yeah; Fukk the old 70's kits! All that white sugar!!! WTF were we thinking?! ?

Coopers man myself too ?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

This seasons cider I knocked up about 6% which is quite nice I don’t really like much weaker than that but if you do go down the strong road you can’t neck them.

593CF6AE-E6BB-4C2D-99A2-E186D119132C.jpeg.aac57d9fe85f82f7474366c51796d1be.jpeg

Ah now cyder its got to be at least 7% 

Gawd I can't wait to get back up to the cyder houses in Dorset as soon as we are allowed. 

• Like 1