Top Five Books?

Only five   , not really possible!

20220702_213726.jpg.b285b397ad7ea4f71285c39417eccbdd.jpg20220702_213533.jpg.9489b8b7229a96d574f4ac64b5dc42d3.jpg20220702_213520.jpg.3be931d54ca97d0fb1167b5395d1a8c0.jpgAnd that's  not  half of em?

Ones l  never tire of.

CRAZY HORSE AND CUSTER by Stephen( Band of Brothers) Ambrose.  Well written with the fortunes of the main characters cleverly entwined without compromising the facts. 

HISTORY OF A PEOPLE by T R Fehrenbach.  

Again by Fehrenbach   , LONE STAR. The history of Texas. Heavy reading according to some but enthralling to me . Detailed and very atmosperic.

ON THE BORDER WITH CROOK. John Bourke. A first hand account of military campaigning in the American West. Not just limited to army life there are plenty of descriptions of scenery and colourful civilian characters. 

Pretty much anything by W S NYE. But CARBINE AND LANCE and PLAINS  INDIAN RAIDERS  spring to mind to make up my five.

I love Mediaeval history too.

Phil Lloyd does some good stuff too?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve got all of Howard’s Books the man was extremely interesting and intelligent to get away with what he did even though he did do a bit of time, I crossed paths with him a few times once he was sat

Enid Blyton? " Nature Lovers Book Number 1: Rambles With Zacky The Gypsy " Never forgotten that one. Zacky, a bloke living on his own, who children could approach without anyone suggesting he was

I was brought  up in the  same  village  where it's  based  and  filmed  ,the  author  Barry  Hines  lived there  I went to school  with  his 2 children  ,my  mam still lives there ,next street  to th

Posted Images

Enid Blyton? " Nature Lovers Book Number 1: Rambles With Zacky The Gypsy "

Never forgotten that one. Zacky, a bloke living on his own, who children could approach without anyone suggesting he was a paedo.

He was friends with a toad. Had a fox come visit him, as well as a boy and a girl. Everything was considered cosher and above board with that, in those days though.

Blyton explained; " Zacky was nice and welcomed by the farmers. He wasn't like the other Gypsies. He never said, 'Comeer; Wud ya be bayin a jet washer?'. No derv, chain saws or ATV's vanished when he came through. He never smashed through fences in his disco. They say the only reason he ever carried a spade into the woods was to bury his shit. "

Different times.

• Haha 6
31 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Is it just my cider pickled eyes or has she got her minge out? 

Screenshot_20220702_225541.jpg

I think it's your cider eyes ; either it's  slipped or it's her kneecap.  Though   l believe the book does feature both Dick and Fanny. In fact the cover seems to show Dick touching Silky's Hole.

We were force fed Edid Blyton books.     I hated them!

Edited by comanche

Kes, the gamekeeper both by Barry Hines                                                                                                                                    king of the Gypsy's ,bartly gormon,s life story.                                                                                                                             Hunters all   plummer.                                                                                                                                                                     No way but gentlenesse  the story of kes, by Richard Hines 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, comanche said:

Only five   , not really possible!

20220702_213726.jpg.b285b397ad7ea4f71285c39417eccbdd.jpg20220702_213533.jpg.9489b8b7229a96d574f4ac64b5dc42d3.jpg20220702_213520.jpg.3be931d54ca97d0fb1167b5395d1a8c0.jpgAnd that's  not  half of em?

Ones l  never tire of.

CRAZY HORSE AND CUSTER by Stephen( Band of Brothers) Ambrose.  Well written with the fortunes of the main characters cleverly entwined without compromising the facts. 

HISTORY OF A PEOPLE by T R Fehrenbach.  

Again by Fehrenbach   , LONE STAR. The history of Texas. Heavy reading according to some but enthralling to me . Detailed and very atmosperic.

ON THE BORDER WITH CROOK. John Bourke. A first hand account of military campaigning in the American West. Not just limited to army life there are plenty of descriptions of scenery and colourful civilian characters. 

Pretty much anything by W S NYE. But CARBINE AND LANCE and PLAINS  INDIAN RAIDERS  spring to mind to make up my five.

I love Mediaeval history too.

Phil Lloyd does some good stuff too?

f**k the books mate , is that the holy trinity of electric guitar , amp and arrow quiver I see ?? 

please tell me you have a mounted katana , or at least a pair in a stand somewhere in that dwelling of masculinity?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

f**k the books mate , is that the holy trinity of electric guitar , amp and arrow quiver I see ?? 

please tell me you have a mounted katana , or at least a pair in a stand somewhere in that dwelling of masculinity?? 

I've got a bread knife. 

• Haha 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 03/07/2022 at 08:57, wildman said:

Kes, the gamekeeper both by Barry Hines                                                                                                                                    king of the Gypsy's ,bartly gormon,s life story.                                                                                                                             Hunters all   plummer.                                                                                                                                                                     No way but gentlenesse  the story of kes, by Richard Hines 

I read A Kestrel For A Knave a couple of weeks ago, probably nearly 40 years after I first read it. I remember like it was yesterday getting it from the library, after watching Kes for the first time. Still a good wee read, and this time round brought loads of nostalgia from reading it a a kid, but also remembering my misspent youth, walking through woods and along hedgerows nesting, and scanning the skies for Kestrels (realistically the only raptor I was likely to see local). 

• Like 3

Couldn’t name my top five, but one of the books which had the greatest impact on me was Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh. I read it before the film was made, and it blew my fcuking mind. I’ve read most of his novels, my favourite probably being Skag Boys. I read Crime on holiday a few weeks back, and found it slow and a bit of a chew, until about 3/4 of the way through the story when, sat by the pool, I was left in tears by a ‘scene’ in the book. It came totally out the blue, and I’m just glad I had my sunnies on ? Something about the power of the written word. I should really read more often.

1 hour ago, waltjnr said:

I weirdly remember reading ,Junkie ,by William Burroughs, was only young ,now anything by cormac mccarthy

Just finished a true account of a Jap pow ,good read 

i think iv'e read everything cormack mcarthy has written blood meridian being my personal favourite and apparently he has two more books set for release in the near future which i'm looking forward to which i didn't expect as he must be in his late 80'smaybe 90's

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, greg64 said:

i think iv'e read everything cormack mcarthy has written blood meridian being my personal favourite and apparently he has two more books set for release in the near future which i'm looking forward to which i didn't expect as he must be in his late 80'smaybe 90's

I can visualise any setting he is describing, usually harsh ,bleak ,but so real 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, greg64 said:

Blood meridian is pretty much how I imagine the reality of the American frontier was . 

have you read suttree? 

27 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Blood meridian is pretty much how I imagine the reality of the American frontier was . 

have you read suttree? 

Think I've read all his written work ,totally agree on how he portraits 9the American frontier was ,think he has it summed up well ,brutal ,harsh ,moments of beauty, how he describes being on a long horse ride ,I can imagine being there ,great if a writer can do that ,and not everyone's cup of tea ,but he does it for me 

• Like 1