Top Five Books?

Tough one, mate. Really depends on what you're looking for.

" Collins Bird Guide " is probably THE British and European bird ID book. But, one must always be aware that the average 'back yard birder' type may well be overwhelmed by so many birds.

I always liked " Wild Flowers of Britain and Ireland: A New Guide to Our Wild Flowers ", by Blamey, Fitter and Fitter - till my eyes packed up. At least a plant will sit there, while you study it, compare and track it down in the book.

Want something outside the box?

" The Balance of Nature " by George Abbey. Very old book. It has been reprinted lately. Certainly available through a quick google. I really think every fukker on this site could do with reading it. Seriously.

• Like 1

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve got all of Howard’s Books the man was extremely interesting and intelligent to get away with what he did even though he did do a bit of time, I crossed paths with him a few times once he was sat

Enid Blyton? " Nature Lovers Book Number 1: Rambles With Zacky The Gypsy " Never forgotten that one. Zacky, a bloke living on his own, who children could approach without anyone suggesting he was

I was brought  up in the  same  village  where it's  based  and  filmed  ,the  author  Barry  Hines  lived there  I went to school  with  his 2 children  ,my  mam still lives there ,next street  to th

Posted Images

On 27/03/2021 at 15:41, Ken's Deputy said:

" Hiroshima ", I read at school. Fukk sake. Doctor, walking along a hospital corridor, examining notes on his clip board. Just gets level with a concrete pillar and it's like something out of a Queen song.

16 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Just finished Hiroshima, not as good as I hoped for tbh. 

A little insipid for my taste, didn't get my juices flowing. 

Fukk sake, mate! ' I read it at school ' ? 'Course Work' kind of thing? Did you expect " Flash Fried Fifty Shades Of Grey " ?

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Fukk sake, mate! ' I read it at school ' ? 'Course Work' kind of thing? Did you expect " Flash Fried Fifty Shades Of Grey " ?

Seeing as it was on the list of greatest factual books ever, I expected more. 

I think the Japs handled it better than we would have tbh. ?

• Like 1
On 03/04/2021 at 17:22, Greb147 said:

Best natural history books, talk to me... 

John Lewis stempel ...not exciting but beautifully written ,whimsical ,lyrical little books ,a bit of history a bit of folklore and mythology the man has a real knowledge and feel for nature ..highly recommend him .

• Like 1

The two books to ever leave me thinking wow! The Dig, Cynan Jones & The Kid, Kevin Lewis.

Into the wild, John Krakauer 

and then two controversial and different ones, Sex drugs and football thugs, Mark Chester and a interesting read Enemy of the state, Tommy Robinson.  

10 minutes ago, TRUEBRIT66 said:

The two books to ever leave me thinking wow! The Dig, Cynan Jones & The Kid, Kevin Lewis.

Into the wild, John Krakauer 

and then two controversial and different ones, Sex drugs and football thugs, Mark Chester and a interesting read Enemy of the state, Tommy Robinson.  

The Dig ,A really well written and thoughtful book ,but fuk me the misery and dourness is relentless ,not a feel good read .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...