Top Five Books?

Wilf; How about the Einsatzgruppen? I've got the works on them. " Ordinary Men ". " Masters Of Death ", that sort of thing. Bit of a cut above Sven Hassel.

Got the latest one on Mengle. Posner, is it? (Forgive me; My books are in another room. Can't be arsed with ducking in and out of there)

Good little book of two about the typical Russians experiences of WW2 too.

• Like 1

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve got all of Howard’s Books the man was extremely interesting and intelligent to get away with what he did even though he did do a bit of time, I crossed paths with him a few times once he was sat

Enid Blyton? " Nature Lovers Book Number 1: Rambles With Zacky The Gypsy " Never forgotten that one. Zacky, a bloke living on his own, who children could approach without anyone suggesting he was

I was brought  up in the  same  village  where it's  based  and  filmed  ,the  author  Barry  Hines  lived there  I went to school  with  his 2 children  ,my  mam still lives there ,next street  to th

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Wilf; How about the Einsatzgruppen? I've got the works on them. " Ordinary Men ". " Masters Of Death ", that sort of thing. Bit of a cut above Sven Hassel.

Got the latest one on Mengle. Posner, is it? (Forgive me; My books are in another room. Can't be arsed with ducking in and out of there)

Good little book of two about the typical Russians experiences of WW2 too.

I have not read them, although I have read extensively on those units.

Hassel I like and have done since I was a kid, it’s just escapism really but you get to know the characters.

I listen to stuff on audio book mostly now.

After reading Stiff and Ken's review. 

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. 

Hiroshima: a 1946 award winning book that follows the lives of 6 individuals who survived the atomic bomb. 

H is for Hawk: another award winning book where the author recounts the difficult task of training a Goshawk in the wake of her fathers sudden death. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

After reading Stiff and Ken's review. 

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. 

Hiroshima: a 1946 award winning book that follows the lives of 6 individuals who survived the atomic bomb. 

H is for Hawk: another award winning book where the author recounts the difficult task of training a Goshawk in the wake of her fathers sudden death. 

Read that as well , not a bad tale 

All books wrote by Jim Corbett. Death in the long grass Capstick. Tales of a rat hunting man plummer . The great game Wyman. Hunter by J A Hunter . I have read a few of the books regarding certain real life characters of the criminal fraternity and found them to be entertaining reads the best one being Wildcats by Danny Woolard.

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

. I have read a few of the books regarding certain real life characters of the criminal fraternity and found them to be entertaining reads the best one being Wildcats by Danny Woolard.

I think you have to read those type of books purely for entertainment and with a huge pinch of salt mate.........otherwise you get absolute f***ing halfwits like Frank Fraser writing books and people thinking it’s totally on the money.

This stuff is interesting & titillating   but most of it is total bollocks if you get my drift 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, WILF said:

I think you have to read those type of books purely for entertainment and with a huge pinch of salt mate.........otherwise you get absolute f***ing halfwits like Frank Fraser writing books and people thinking it’s totally on the money.

This stuff is interesting & titillating   but most of it is total bollocks if you get my drift 

That's why I don't really like autobiographies, they are a very blinkered view with plenty of bending of the truth. 

If you read the Lenny McLean book he states that he's undefeated which is a load of bollocks as he was flattened on a few occasions. 

18 minutes ago, WILF said:

In a nutshell mate find some of them funny and entertaining like that judas pig book. 

• Like 1

Difficult.

I'd go for authors rather than books perhaps but in no particular order.

Spike Milligan, Milligans War, taught me to look behind the propaganda.

Phill Drabble, A Weasel in my meat safe, loved all his stuff as a lad.

Terry Pratchet, Wyrd Sisters, on a less serious note.

Laurens Van der Post, Heart of the Hunter, a picture of what we were and have lost.

Geral Durrel, A Zoo in my luggage again loved all his stuff as a lad, wanted to be an animal collector, had my own animal/objects of interest collection in the garden, charged people to look lol, got a fair few unusual bits and pieces as my old man was head keeper at Whipsnade.