Top Five Books?

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve got all of Howard’s Books the man was extremely interesting and intelligent to get away with what he did even though he did do a bit of time, I crossed paths with him a few times once he was sat

Enid Blyton? " Nature Lovers Book Number 1: Rambles With Zacky The Gypsy " Never forgotten that one. Zacky, a bloke living on his own, who children could approach without anyone suggesting he was

I was brought  up in the  same  village  where it's  based  and  filmed  ,the  author  Barry  Hines  lived there  I went to school  with  his 2 children  ,my  mam still lives there ,next street  to th

Posted Images

1 minute ago, sid g said:

the jools holland books a holiday book mine went to kos twice , the pete mccarthy book i put up earliers  a good one for you mate , 

I tried taking the Jools Holland book abroad with me but couldn't fit it in my luggage, it was too much of a Squeeze. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bought these at the airport last time we went aboard...both good reads especially the Escobar one written by his brother?

Error if judgement....Read this in my teens...poor fuckers was stitched right up? I did hear that they have got someone for it recently..Screenshot_20210324-215947.png.669b95831efd931691f3e2d769a38e1b.pngScreenshot_20210324-220044.png.7504f298b9f1b353020552cf63eda5fb.pngScreenshot_20210324-215947.png.669b95831efd931691f3e2d769a38e1b.png

Screenshot_20210324-220251.png

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

If you like your boxing books I recommend Four Kings, a very good read about the Fab Four, Duran, Hagler, Hearns and Leonard. 

I was gonna include that in my top 5 , sure I recommended it before , it’s a great read . 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

? Damnit, Stiff! This was the very book that inspired this bloody thread!!!

Chube throws me a lot of Native American based stuff. Just recently, we had a " Custers Last Complete Fukking Military Abortion " spate.

But, yeah! Fetterman? Sand Creek? Agreements, written and signed by 'The Great White Father' on fukking loo roll? Jesus fukking christ, yeah! Absolutely Required Reading!

I listened to, I think it was Sitting Bull, the other night. Describing LBH from Their perspective! It was fukking great! Basically boiled down to:

'Ol' Custer and his crew fukked up big time, there! Picked on the wrong boys. We split up into three lots. Thousands of Very angry indians in each. One of us took Custers arse to the cleaners. Then handed it back to him on a plate! Kunt! ' ?

I didn't want to make it seem like I only ever read books as thick as a wall brick ? But, yeah, " Bury My Heart " is an Absolute!

Another one I'd personally guarantee is Tolstoy's " Victims Of Yalta ". Absolutely fukking heart breaking! A little trinket of our proud history no fukka likes to talk about any more.

My mates BIL was set to guard the cattle trucks. He actually Saw guys slitting their wives and children's throats!!! ?

A great counterpart to bury my heart at wounded knee is “crazy horse and Custer “ by Stephen Ambrose , the same writer of band of brothers and the pacific . 

it deals with mental parallel lives of the two antagonists , loads of great stuff in it 

crazy horse is my favourite war leader of all time . 
braver than Cochise , wilder than sitting bull , he was the last true war chief of the plains people and was determined never to be be broken into something he viewed as less than honourable , crazy horse rode into history on the back of his horse with the wind in his face and a Winchester in his hand . 

no pictures exist of crazy horse , he believed that cameras stole a part of your soul . 

what a fantastic way to live and die . Surrounded by his fantastically named leiutenants “he dog “ the seven feet tall “touch the clouds “ and the terrifyingly brave “man afraid of his horses” charging at your mortal enemy on your Appaloosa in a do or die final. 

How f***ing cool is that ? 

I tend to drift from Russian authors which in reality when you think of the likes of Tolstoy  is criminal . 

I read a book about a Russian special forces unit operating in Chechnya that was supposedly a true tale as well but for the life of me can’t recall it’s exact title . 

sure it’s called “freefall”. Any way it’s grim. 

• Like 5

Yeah it is .

another very good read and one of my favourites is the extremely well compiled and laid out “Bandit Country “ by Toby harden about the south Armagh Active Service Unit who were regarded as a cOmpletely superior entity in comparison to the Rest of the provisionals . 

It traces the lineage , the abilities and the lives of Thomas Murphy , Michael carragher , dessie o hare and their absolute ruthlessness in the protection of criminality and terrorism. 

a very complex read

. In support of that it’s worth reading eamon Collins autobiographical “killing rage” which is even more poignant seeing as he was executed not long after publication I believe. 

Eamon Collins was an HM customs officer from south Armagh who worked for and latterly informed against the IRA. He remains the only witness to ever testify against Thomas Murphy in court with the two former friends nodding and Collins saying “no hard feelings Slab? “ 

after the trial Eamonn Collins was found dead with a bag over his head and shot in a lane near his home. 

no one was ever convicted of his murder. 

Two very good reads about the troubles and the power wielded by small village napoleons 

1 minute ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Just quickly, Stiff; " Freefall " is the bio of a Para / SAS guy. Got it on my shelf. Can't remember his name now. Got PTSD and couldn't live with it ? Poor fukker!

Tom Read! (Just had to go in there and check!

nish , killed himself by jumping out a plane . 

no the Russian book is definitely called freefall also ?

• Like 1