Merle over a merle

All ways thought this should never happen but I have been told by some they have done it with no problem so when a lad offered me a pup out of his Merle bitch after his Merle dog had lined it by mistake, both being handy rabbit dogs I took him up on his kind offer. Six pup were born the lad was keeping two for himself he was gifting me one and the other three had working homes to go to but when their eyes opened three had no eyeballs one was blind and the vet said the other two could go blind at anytime ☹️. Just putting this on in case anyone is thinking about doing this , have a good summer all. 

E0E6D7BE-565C-4655-A300-A805DE97970A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? We bred a fair few Collies when I was a young man,...my Father broke many dogs...(back in the day, spaniels and Herders were broke, the word trained,.. was not in their vocabulary?)...Anyway, we had

i would also like to know if the bearded collie carries the merle gene....just asking for a chap i know in Cornwall ...

You are right Neal? Regardless of what has often been claimed and vociferously denied, ..I believe passionately, that both Kelpie Sheepdogs and Australian Cattle Dogs have a Dingo ancestor..

Posted Images

I know it can happen but never know anybody say there pups came out like that but my old dog was bred the same way and had no problems, he must of been lucky and as far as I know none out of the litter had any problems either.site and dam top 2 pics.It’s a shame it hasn’t worked out for you trev 

E20F5741-1226-45DD-B1E2-A5D6FD694752.png

85B3C530-46DA-490E-9F64-3AC786C44AE9.png

189E6616-5828-42DD-BFE6-DC59523859A4.jpeg

A98C667A-99DF-4E4D-B406-2D076437DE13.jpeg

9CCDB42F-9550-45D0-95E7-016C9B8FBA5F.jpeg

• Like 1

I can never get my head around things like this ?Most people know that something like this can definately happen... So why take that gamble and not put 2 merles together, I know Trev that you said it was a mistake mating but why not get the bitch jabbed to stop the litter

• Like 4
2 hours ago, TOMO said:

the two that arnt blind trev.....are you taking the gamble and having one....or is he going to put the hole litter down?

No mate I'm not taking a chance, my mate that goes out with me with his brindle bitch is lining her as soon as she comes in season so I'll wait for one of them. As far as I know he's had all the white ones put to sleep but the two full merles that have a chance of going blind he's found a lady wanting both as pets mate.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, breeze said:

I can never get my head around things like this ?Most people know that something like this can definately happen... So why take that gamble and not put 2 merles together, I know Trev that you said it was a mistake mating but why not get the bitch jabbed to stop the litter

He bred the sire to the pups but not long after he lined the bitch he got hit by a car and killed so he took the chance so he could keep the line mate.

12 minutes ago, breeze said:

Does anyone know that with merle X merle apart from blindness and deafness does the gene cause any other issues internally etc

I'd be interested as I've heard dogs with entropion have a lot of other internal problems, like they're not put together properly.

1 hour ago, breeze said:

Does anyone know that with merle X merle apart from blindness and deafness does the gene cause any other issues internally etc

i would also like to know if the bearded collie carries the merle gene....just asking for a chap i know in Cornwall ...:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Shame that, it deffo does work out sometimes iv saw it first hand more than once. You’ll get summat sorted trev. Wild horses wouldn’t stop you doing what you do?

I know a litter that are 12 month old mate with no problems. I'm ok mate I'm happy with this young bitch that's not 3 years old until September and I've been offered a pup out of 2 litters as gifts if the bitches take ?.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Trev70 said:

All ways thought this should never happen but I have been told by some they have done it with no problem so when a lad offered me a pup out of his Merle bitch after his Merle dog had lined it by mistake, both being handy rabbit dogs I took him up on his kind offer. Six pup were born the lad was keeping two for himself he was gifting me one and the other three had working homes to go to but when their eyes opened three had no eyeballs one was blind and the vet said the other two could go blind at anytime ☹️. Just putting this on in case anyone is thinking about doing this , have a good summer all. 

E0E6D7BE-565C-4655-A300-A805DE97970A.jpeg

Poor wee mites....

• Like 2