Dogs and cancer?

Any one had much experience with the big c and there dogs? The big pillock hit 7 today so for his birthday I took him to the vets to get a lump checked out on his rear legs its popped up last 3 weeks or so. Vet suspects its not good and we know in a week. Reckons if just a fatty lump be 250--300 to whip off but cancer 600 and up. No telling if its spread and the test for that costs same as having it off. Been insure all his life but got furloughed last year and  cancelled it dam it.

His fine in him self at least for now

IMG_6937.jpg.b21d426adf95bdfe66f64ee4132a65a8.jpg

3 minutes ago, terryd said:

Any one had much experience with the big c and there dogs? The big pillock hit 7 today so for his birthday I took him to the vets to get a lump checked out on his rear legs its popped up last 3 weeks or so. Vet suspects its not good and we know in a week. Reckons if just a fatty lump be 250--300 to whip off but cancer 600 and up. No telling if its spread and the test for that costs same as having it off. Been insure all his life but got furloughed last year and  cancelled it dam it.

His fine in him self at least for now

IMG_6937.jpg.b21d426adf95bdfe66f64ee4132a65a8.jpg

Had a cocker spaniel get it late on in her life when I was a kid. She lived with it for last few years of her life and died of old age but was never in pain with it. 

a while back my kelpie started loosing weight,so i fed her more ,and she lost even more weight ,went to the vet and after bloods and thorough test ,he said she has a tumor in her stomach ,and if i dont put her down within the next few days she will hemorrhage within the next two weeks,he wanted 180 to do the dastardly deed,i told him i had to consult the family,i took her for her last walk and buried her ,was not easy to do,then shortly after ,i had growths taken from my pit bull,under his skin,operated on and paid near about 300,4 months later same again except the cancer was back with a vengance ,i had to carry out the same procedure for him...i was sick again to hear there was no other way out ....its tough having these beasts ,they really become part of you for a time ...ive never insured a dog ,thankfully ive not been hit too hard financially ,but we all chip in here when one of our mutts need attention...hope you get the right results ..best of luck

Had the bitch in my avatar pts at 7yo cancer in front leg, vets prognosis was tablets etc but leg would eventually go, amputation or try some £2000+ treatment at a place in Bristol.

Her son I have has just (January) had a lump cut out of his side, £700 but he's now coming up 14. (I put a post up about it).

Cheers, D.

Lost my big wheaten cross to cancer 6 years ago first tumor went from the size of a peanut to tennis ball size within a month, after getting it removed he was grand for 4 months then it came back much more aggressive and had to be pts.

A real sickener having to get a big strong otherwise healthy dog put to sleep. 

Sister in laws whippet has just being diagnosed with it, she had a small lump on her rear leg that has grown at a rapid rate, got the biopsy results today and its cancer, they have gave 3 to 6 months to live.

She an old girl 12 year old. Has been fit as a fiddle all her life then last 2 months this. 

Hope your dog has a better result its never nice, lost my 1st dog to cancer it was horrible one day bouncing around then the day after he could hardly move.  

Atb

We just spent bit over a grand getting a bit lump cut out of the old whippet Russell dog. He's 13 1/2 but he's earned looking after. Had it tested and it was cancer so will no doubt be back but he's a different dog since the op, put on weight again, full of beans, generally loving life. Hopefully he will get to enjoy another summer in the sun and we'll see where we are come autumn. I think we'll repeat the mating we did last year when the busher comes into season if the old boy is up to it. I'd like to have as much of him about as I can as he's on the way out and had to disapoint a fair few people last time who wanted pups so no worries about placing them.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that I hope you n your dog get some good luck 

Did your get say if anything could have caused it or just one of those things, you hear some people say kibble cancause it but not sure how accurate that is?

Just now, dodger said:

Sorry to hear that I hope you n your dog get some good luck 

Did your vet say if anything could have caused it or just one of those things, you hear some people say kibble cancause it but not sure how accurate that is?

MY old staffy had a small growth on his neck at about 8yr old. the vets told us 1000+ for test and op etc and it’s might not 100% fix it . so we thought fk it if he’s not in pain let him carry on if any changes then game Over . he lived  full healthy till 14 the lump was golf ball size by the end but never bothered him.

Same with my childhood springer I remember she had a tennis ball size growth on her side that she got young lived till 14/15 

my mother’s terrier had 3 tits removed because of cancer at 9 she still going strong at 12 grumpy nipper  but still going ? 

it might not be the end for him even if you can’t work him anymore its shit but by 7 he’s done enough graft to earn a his spot on the sofa hope all go well for ya mate ?

Well the results came back and it is either a knock which he hasn't had a collision for some time and no pain or it is the big C.
So a 100 quid to tell me nothing. They think it is the big c but not the type to spread much. No idea how they figured that out. So I said to the vet I would leave it then and she said it may spread to the muscles in his leg and cause him issues.
Basically 700 quid to get it off or more if its all ready growing into the muscles so she is pushing to cut it off. 
I just don't know whats best. Don't begrudge him a penny but do begrudge throwing money away and putting him under the knife needlessly when his either going to be ok or not regardless mmmmm 
It's about the size of a duck egg and doesn't seem to be getting bigger and his happy as larry. Ferk knows