Working whippet

On 25/03/2021 at 12:18, SheepChaser said:

Nice wee dog. Reminds me of the whippet I had about ten years or so ago. Punched seriously above his weight and flew into everything from foxes to fallow bucks with great gusto. Hunted hard and had zero fear but the nicest personality you could wish for. If I thought u could get another like him I think I would but from what I can see these days they seem to cost ten times as much for half the dog. Too many folk breeding for the wrong reasons, lap dogs and shivery pets.

I remember lamping with my lad one night, he was on the arse of a hare, snapping his jaws, the hare dropped into a ditch and rang along it, dog followed, just as he was about to strike the hare went up the vertical end where there was a drainage pipe under a track. The dog hit it full on, mouth open, I thought he was most likely dead and ran over, he came out that ditch like a little black rocket, over the side, back after the hare and I last saw him plowing through a hedge after it...... a few second later I heard the squeal from next field. When he came trotting back and gave it to me, the hare was covered in claret. Open closer inspection I realised it wasn’t from the hare, the dog had snapped all his front teeth out and one canine, they were hanging from his mouth by bits of gum. He just stood there mouthing the hare with his wrecked gob and wagging his tail. Hooligan. RIP Finn. 

That a whippet to me, not some daft wee lap dog. And your lad looks cut from same mould. 

Thats just simply a great post to highlight just what a real working whippet is capable of...

My first working lurcher was a whippet (with a good splash of greyhound for the tracks) and she was some animal, punched far beyond her weight and she was used and abused like a dog can be with a mad keen school kid owner. On her death I remember my dad looking at her scar riddled corpse and saying she'd had a hard life... No shit..!!

Youngster i've been out ratting with a few times has one the same, just a bloody good dog, thats had the time and effort put in, without any safety net and the bitch has come out shining. I've looked on in envy (though shalt not covert thine neighbours mutt!) And thought if she was mine she'd be cherished BUT thats just my old head talking and keen kids are the ones that really 'set the bar' without really knowing it and long may that continue... ?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since I introduced my young lurcher earlier today I thought I’d introduce my Old dog who’s a pure whippet. He was my first real working dog and we’ve learned a lot together, he’s not perfect by any me

Nice wee dog. Reminds me of the whippet I had about ten years or so ago. Punched seriously above his weight and flew into everything from foxes to fallow bucks with great gusto. Hunted hard and had ze

Smashing wee jukels? We all had whippets in the 1970's,...great dogs for the rabbits and pheasants... I still remember the morning when we were ferreting roadside, in Winchester,..I heard a

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Bosun11 said:

Thats just simply a great post to highlight just what a real working whippet is capable of...

My first working lurcher was a whippet (with a good splash of greyhound for the tracks) and she was some animal, punched far beyond her weight and she was used and abused like a dog can be with a mad keen school kid owner. On her death I remember my dad looking at her scar riddled corpse and saying she'd had a hard life... No shit..!!

Youngster i've been out ratting with a few times has one the same, just a bloody good dog, thats had the time and effort put in, without any safety net and the bitch has come out shining. I've looked on in envy (though shalt not covert thine neighbours mutt!) And thought if she was mine she'd be cherished BUT thats just my old head talking and keen kids are the ones that really 'set the bar' without really knowing it and long may that continue... ?

Very good 

• Like 2
On 22/03/2021 at 20:32, Snapdogs said:

Since I introduced my young lurcher earlier today I thought I’d introduce my Old dog who’s a pure whippet. He was my first real working dog and we’ve learned a lot together, he’s not perfect by any means... Iv made a lot of mistakes bringing him on with him being my first dog but he’s a trier and we’ve killed some gear together, made memories to last a lifetime. So here he is old Sheldon ?? 

E6FD7821-556A-436D-87B5-8A5DD574BFCB.jpeg

4A187D06-EA2A-4468-9282-E1AD84BB159F.jpeg

0A571CC7-1A10-4DA2-B000-0EECBC9F5854.jpeg

969E12A8-12BE-4127-BFCB-DC51D3790CF3.jpeg

DD9A935F-9945-48D6-A200-A711B5776B7A.jpeg

2335C7E6-5889-4171-8BA1-918255DF3620.jpeg

FCA2F766-F3C7-43EA-BD44-947CB55AF874.jpeg

Even ones with a lot of experience still make mistakes ?tidy wee animal he is ?

• Like 1