Working whippet

3 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

This is very true I’m sure. I don’t really move in whippet type circles, no one I know keeps that kind of dog. And I am inherently distrustful of anyone’s claims other than those I know it have gone out with. So it would be somewhat of a mission. 

But I stand by what I say, of all of the running dogs, the whippet has been seized on by the peddlers as a good way to line their pockets. I see ‘working whippets’ being advertised for £2500. Must be having a giraffe ? 

One day I’ll have another to add to the bushing team. But until then the big dogs will do me. I’ve hopefully got another Lurcher pup coming soon. 

A lot make them out to be ‘working whippets’ really they are just net guarders doing 2-3 ferreting days a year. I’m not in any whippet cliques but I’d have another off the people who bred my whippet in a heartbeat if they bred again and the timing was right, and got a couple mates who work theres hard I’d take a pup off if I needed one. 
Your bang on that the whippet has been seized by peddlers, £3500 top price Iv seen for ‘working whippet’ pups... I’d never have one again if I had to pay that kind of money. 

• Like 4

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since I introduced my young lurcher earlier today I thought I’d introduce my Old dog who’s a pure whippet. He was my first real working dog and we’ve learned a lot together, he’s not perfect by any me

Nice wee dog. Reminds me of the whippet I had about ten years or so ago. Punched seriously above his weight and flew into everything from foxes to fallow bucks with great gusto. Hunted hard and had ze

Smashing wee jukels? We all had whippets in the 1970's,...great dogs for the rabbits and pheasants... I still remember the morning when we were ferreting roadside, in Winchester,..I heard a

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Snapdogs said:

A lot make them out to be ‘working whippets’ really they are just net guarders doing 2-3 ferreting days a year. I’m not in any whippet cliques but I’d have another off the people who bred my whippet in a heartbeat if they bred again and the timing was right, and got a couple mates who work theres hard I’d take a pup off if I needed one. 
Your bang on that the whippet has been seized by peddlers, £3500 top price Iv seen for ‘working whippet’ pups... I’d never have one again if I had to pay that kind of money. 

You make another excellent point. Guarding a few nets abs holding rabbits isn’t really enough to prove a dog. My collie picked that up after ten mins. I like to see a whippet doing it’s classic smash and grab tactics around cover and running stuff down with the merciless teeth snapping way they have. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Smashing wee jukels?

We all had whippets in the 1970's,...great dogs for the rabbits and pheasants...

I still remember the morning when we were ferreting roadside, in Winchester,..I heard a bit of a crashing up in front and all of a sudden, our diminitive racer shot along the ditch, and gripped a good sized Roe Buck...

At 17ib in weight she was at a disadvantage , it was quite a struggle...?

To be truthful, she was getting the shit kicked out of her, and the Blackthorn was tearing her Blue skin to shreds ..

But, she still held on long enough for us to leave the nets, and pin the struggling Buck down...

I've always liked whippets...?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
25 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Smashing wee jukels?

We all had whippets in the 1970's,...great dogs for the rabbits and pheasants...

I still remember the morning when we were ferreting roadside, in Winchester,..I heard a bit of a crashing up in front and all of a sudden, our diminitive racer shot along the ditch, and gripped a good sized Roe Buck...

At 17ib in weight she was at a disadvantage , it was quite a struggle...?

To be truthful, she was getting the shit kicked out of her, and the Blackthorn was tearing her Blue skin to shreds ..

But, she still held on long enough for us to leave the nets, and pin the struggling Buck down...

I've always liked whippets...?

Great memories there ? they can punch above their weight that’s for sure ? they will always have a place in my heart, I’ll never forget the memories Iv made with mine ?

9 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

This little tyke will crash through the thickest of cover gets ripped up at times but it never deters her , I started out with whippetys always been a fan of them ,great little dogs

C886E395-83B4-45CE-82BD-38D42AC95161.jpeg

nice ?. non ped? 

46 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

This little tyke will crash through the thickest of cover gets ripped up at times but it never deters her , I started out with whippetys always been a fan of them ,great little dogs

C886E395-83B4-45CE-82BD-38D42AC95161.jpeg

Is that a first cross ?

• Haha 1

And just think with today's trends you could stick a pair of antlers on it some Jim jams and mooch wherever you like . Just whip um off when coasts clear and bingo your pretend furbaby is a mooching machine in disguise. Jokes asides I despair at not only what the prices are but what has or maybe become of a top mooching dog . Harder than a coffin nail and always give 100% . Seems that more than a few are turning into furniture handbag accessories. 

18 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

The ones I saw from Mike work were all like peas in a pod. Thick set, hard as nails with huge drive. He was a proper knowledgeable dog man to. 

i was out with a lad of here with his lurcher my wee mike brown bred whippet a roe jumped and both are off after it....lurcher stopped at first fence well not my wee whippet up an over right on its arse right upto farmers gate more or less few bends in front his house then right thru the back garden and into the wood...never been so glad see a deer disapear as a was that day and like you said tough as old boots that wee dog lived to 16 years old rip dewie boy

• Like 2
On 25/03/2021 at 14:25, SheepChaser said:

I had the pick of a litter bred by Mike, and it’s the only one I’ve ever owned ...... he stopped breeding them and I’m not so sure who else out there breeds that kind of genuine quality animal ...... without forgetting the £3000 price tag. Working whippets aren’t going to come out of this well at all, I still see lots of Lurchers being bred for right reasons and sold for sensible sums or gifted. I see pretty much no whippets going into working homes for sensible money. They will end up hand bag dogs. Shame really as I think they blow stuff like Beddy whips out of the water. 

Sort of agree with that , the ££ breeders got loose on em when they were under £450 a pup few yr back but that’s the world today none of the 2g 3G pup sellers want to put them sires or dams on show in the working world for fear of being upset  ive only bred one litter from a bitch cos she liked a chew so put her to show dog that loved a chew all pups showed the love  and I  gifted the lot to Scot and ire  bar one pup to pay the bill , sold this lad from pick of litter for £350  local  few yr back I’d take on any stud dog or bitch to bring them down to Earth  few yr ago great days lol dog is of correct size for coursing  not many of them about today  wish I’d kept him I’d take my dogs up and down the country on show to all most breeders today just waffle for money 

9430EA06-8334-48F5-98CC-17D0018A8079.jpeg

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, green lurchers said:

Sort of agree with that , the ££ breeders got loose on em when they were under £450 a pup few yr back but that’s the world today none of the 2g 3G pup sellers want to put them sires or dams on show in the working world for fear of being upset  ive only bred one litter from a bitch cos she liked a chew so put her to show dog that loved a chew all pups showed the love  and I  gifted the lot to Scot and ire  bar one pup to pay the bill , sold this lad from pick of litter for £350  local  few yr back I’d take on any stud dog or bitch to bring them down to Earth  few yr ago great days lol dog is of correct size for coursing  not many of them about today  wish I’d kept him I’d take my dogs up and down the country on show to all most breeders today just waffle for money 

9430EA06-8334-48F5-98CC-17D0018A8079.jpeg

A lot of the mittys wouldnt know what to do wid davey or dot mate, they are stuck in the bubble of net guarding a few times a yr and class them as working.

• Like 2