Funny, How We Change

Arrived in todays post:

P3220493.JPG.db4b9acd93712abb0c1edc051edfc646.JPG

I'll enjoy straining the fukk out of my eyes now, trying to read it. Unlike back in '87, when I first snatched it from the shelf and sat there, foaming at the mouth with hatred for this 'Liar', who was concocting complete Bullshit about how foxes aren't really half as bad as We knew them to be ?

I've grown up a bit, since then.

• Like 6

Ands; No idea, mate. Haven't read it since '87 ? I do seem to remember he was about the first person ever to point out that foxes Don't go about massacring cats. That fukking annoyed me.

No internet back then, see? Now? You Chube's fukking full of clips of foxes and cats ignoring each other.

I've even personally stood and watched as a fox and a cock pheasant virtually brushed against each other as they passed in opposite directions! :icon_eek:

Didn't have my balsa wood camera handy at the time though, so I clearly just made that up! ?

It’s a good book. If you want to learn about the fox, this is a good place to start, very thorough and he’s a clever fella. Good description of digging a fox out towards the end of the book as he fought to save a vixen he’d been following and her cubs. Even the terrier lads helped out but to no avail. 

• Like 1

That bit I distinctly remember reading Kragmeister! Bit fukking dismayed that he'd shoved his bare hand in the way of one of their none too kindly disposed terriers, weren't they?

In all honesty? I'm just up for finding out what ever more I can about the creatures.

I absolutely worship seeing my little vixens eyes, shining back at me from just a few yards away when I come out of the shed of a night. Beats the fukk out of seeing them through a telescopic sight, quite honestly.

Know what? Fukking years ago now, I was doing something, down in a belt of trees here. I can't remember how, or why. But, I somehow scratched the surface of the ground and saw white.

Dug a bit more and discovered a fukking Chicken Breast! Just like you'd see in a butchers display! I was mind blown! It was fresh as a daisy too! I couldn't comprehend it! Middle of fukking no where and there's fresh chicken breasts coming out of the ground?! Fukk Off!!! :icon_eek:

It was only reading that other, 'Fox Watching' book that I bought. He explained it. Foxes cacheing shit. I now know, of course, 'my' foxes live in those very trees. One of them probably did a raid on the neighbours bin bags. Found some past it's sell by dated chicken breasts.

Hadn't read that book, I'd have taken that mystery to my grave. Don't learn that shit staring through a cross hair.

• Like 3

Like most on here I’ll bet, I’ve been fascinated by all kinds of critters on land and sea, including those that I’d hunt or fish. I’ve always been drawn mostly to predators though ?I’ve always believed that people who hunt and fish are the best conservationists, because they stand to lose the most if a prey species declines, or the natural balance goes off kilter, and so they’re the first to know, and often the ones to act. 
The same hard-wiring that compels me to hunt and fish, had me taking a keen interest in the natural world long before the urge to hunt kicked in.
And the thing that I’ll never understand, is how we’ve been denied acting on our ‘hunter gatherer’ instinct by a minority of people, many of whom I’d wager have none of the interest I have in observing nature close up, and who’d not notice if every fox, badger, hare, deer etc. disappeared off the face of the earth tomorrow. 

No matter what your age, there’s always new stuff to learn. Enjoy your book ??

• Like 3