• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A photo i took the other day of my Deerhound x Greyhound   atb

I never tire of putting this picture up; Cheers.  

Seven weeks old, first cross Deerhound / Greyhound; Cheers.  

Posted Images

13 hours ago, lurchers said:

I’ve seen and done plenty and I’m very fussy,hence why I don’t just believe in worker to worker but if that’s the case you tell me how I can get a KC border terrier from good type show stuff turn out to be hard at his job and only get 4 digs a year out of it.And this wasn’t bred from 2 workers and good around other dogs and live stock but knew his job.

I didn't say non worker bred dogs can't work and I had Aussie Terriers and a Cairn terrier that would bolt foxes. A lot has got to do with what you put in front of them. The working bred Russells I had would try and get into any holes almost at weaning and were too full on to have as pets, though they loved people. I've never seen that with show bred types. You can work almost any breed but most don't have the intensity and natural inborn behavior when young. Same with whippets, the worker bred ones picked up the job quicker, like it was second nature. I like the idea of reviving old breeds and I think they could come back fairly quick.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I didn't say non worker bred dogs can't work and I had Aussie Terriers and a Cairn terrier that would bolt foxes. A lot has got to do with what you put in front of them. The working bred Russells I had would try and get into any holes almost at weaning and were too full on to have as pets, though they loved people. I've never seen that with show bred types. You can work almost any breed but most don't have the intensity and natural inborn behavior when young. Same with whippets, the worker bred ones picked up the job quicker, like it was second nature. I like the idea of reviving old breeds and I think they could come back fairly quick.

You are right about what you put in front of them from growing up but I’m a big believer in let pups be pups and big them up steady and get there confidence up,That’s what makes most of the start with them then the rest comes naturally to them in my eyes but that’s me.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Rory4 said:

Can anyone point me in right direction of a litter of deer x pups? 

thanks 

You are right to fancy a Deerhound hybrid Rory,..?

They are beautiful canines and can give you some good sport...

During the 1980's, the Deerhound influence locally, reigned supreme and it seemed as though everyone had a rough coated jukel...Lovely dogs, Cracking good times, exciting nights?

However, as the years rolled by, I saw fewer and fewer lurchers with an obvious Deerhound ancestory... 

Then, during the late 1990's my own choice of target species changed, so I decided to downsize my lurchers a tad...The end result of this project was perfectly satisfactory and more than adaquate for the rabbit lamping job, and once again,... great times..?

As for the low numbers of Deerhound based lurchers today...its a bit sad  ...

Mind you, when a critter, (originaly bred for work) starts to become uncommon, there is usually a viable reason? 

Follow your heart Rory, go and find the type of jukel that you want....and then,.enjoy it..?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 6
2 hours ago, OldPhil said:

You are right to fancy a Deerhound hybrid Rory,..?

They are beautiful canines and can give you some good sport...

During the 1980's, the Deerhound influence locally, reigned supreme and it seemed as though everyone had a rough coated jukel...Lovely dogs, Cracking good times, exciting nights?

However, as the years rolled by, I saw fewer and fewer lurchers with an obvious Deerhound ancestory... 

Then, during the late 1990's my choice of target species changed, so I decided to downsize my lurchers a tad...

The end result was perfectly satisfactory for the rabbit lamping job, and once again, great times..?

As for the low numbers of Deerhound based lurchers today...its a bit sad  ...

Mind you, when a critter, originaly bred for work, starts to become uncommon, there is usually a viable reason...?

Follow your heart Rory, go and find the type of jukel that you want....and then,.enjoy it..?

img Scans268.jpg

Where can I find a working pup?

39 minutes ago, Rory4 said:

Where can I find a working pup?

Rory, the best you can do is get one off someone you know works their dogs, Dave Platts is a breeder of genuine Deerhound/Greyhound longdogs, it is what it says on the tin, I don’t know if Dave works them or not you could only find that out by asking him, there must be some guys on here that have his dogs, hopefully they could get intouch and give you some pointers but don’t try and buy a pup with any sort of guarantee, nobody can guarantee the pups they breed simply because they can’t guarantee the person that purchases said pup, there’s a guy on here “Scottish hare hunter” who has deerhound crosses, they have some wheaten in them as well, they’re  serious dogs, you don’t keep dogs like that unless you work them, I wish you all the best with your search, atb

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Countryman62 said:

Rory, the best you can do is get one off someone you know works their dogs, Dave Platts is a breeder of genuine Deerhound/Greyhound longdogs, it is what it says on the tin, I don’t know if Dave works them or not you could only find that out by asking him, there must be some guys on here that have his dogs, hopefully they could get intouch and give you some pointers but don’t try and buy a pup with any sort of guarantee, nobody can guarantee the pups they breed simply because they can’t guarantee the person that purchases said pup, there’s a guy on here “Scottish hare hunter” who has deerhound crosses, they have some wheaten in them as well, they’re  serious dogs, you don’t keep dogs like that unless you work them, I wish you all the best with your search, atb

I don’t know anyone working deer xs that’s the problem 

7 hours ago, Countryman62 said:

He also has a very good 3/4 greyhound 1/4 deerhound.  Looks to be a belter.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jcm said:

Soon enough be harvest....

20210425_140755.jpg.767ef3b7d0ada9a700b5ee86415d885e.jpg

lovely, strong looking animal, did you breed him your self, whats the deerhound blood in him, and how old,certainly my type of dog, love em,job to find good decent working lines these days,think most of the decent breeding of doxhope and ardinglass are now well and truly diluted, used to be a lad on here stonewall, who had the genuine doxhope blood in his dogs, the deerx grey has sadly declined these last few years, not world beaters, but always served me well, and the type of terrain that i ran them on, atb.

1 hour ago, grompz said:

lovely, strong looking animal, did you breed him your self, whats the deerhound blood in him, and how old,certainly my type of dog, love em,job to find good decent working lines these days,think most of the decent breeding of doxhope and ardinglass are now well and truly diluted, used to be a lad on here stonewall, who had the genuine doxhope blood in his dogs, the deerx grey has sadly declined these last few years, not world beaters, but always served me well, and the type of terrain that i ran them on, atb.

Its a bitch mate, no i never bred her, she was bred in scotland. Her dam was deer grey but sire was Wheaton bull grey. On paper i believe she is only 1/4 deerhound. 

Don't reply look into lines of stuff myself i just look for worker to worker with both parents doing the job I'd want a dog to do and to a good standard. The x of a dog doesn't realy matter to me.

I have only seen a few deerhounds run and they do have there place in the running dog scene but i do believe they are a better dog with a little bull or Wheaton in there make up.

• Like 7