• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A photo i took the other day of my Deerhound x Greyhound   atb

I never tire of putting this picture up; Cheers.  

Seven weeks old, first cross Deerhound / Greyhound; Cheers.  

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

We have a greyhound deerhound x bedlington whippet cross. The easiest dog we have ever had.  Easy to handle, easy to train, easygoing, a lovely family dog.  His greatest pleasure in life is to run over rough ground, great figure of 8's.  Would be no good for hunting though; no killer instinct in him at all. Chases rabbits until they 'freeze' , then he trots up to them wagging his tail!

1 hour ago, Geoff Whitehead said:

We have a greyhound deerhound x bedlington whippet cross. The easiest dog we have ever had.  Easy to handle, easy to train, easygoing, a lovely family dog.  His greatest pleasure in life is to run over rough ground, great figure of 8's.  Would be no good for hunting though; no killer instinct in him at all. Chases rabbits until they 'freeze' , then he trots up to them wagging his tail!

Is he at stud

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

That dog saxon was in the breeding of my bitch and she also would not pick up. She could spot things or hunt up, box things up but when it came time to strike it just didnt 8 times out of 10

Edited by jeemes
10 hours ago, Geoff Whitehead said:

Thats a bit strange if you dont mind me saying. Rabbits dont generally freeze when chased and then allow a dog to trot up to them. Are these wild rabbits? I cant imagine a dog made up of all hunting dogs not at least grabbing a rabbit unless its a young puppy?

• Like 4
On 19/03/2021 at 15:17, lurchers said:

I know John slack sold him a dog called Saxon which looked the part but wouldn’t pick up.And John put plenty in front of it,sold it to Dave platts and the next thing it’s the best dog he’s had and done all sorts.I wouldn’t believe a word platts says about them as that dog wouldn’t of no where near the stuff John put in front of it even though he told Dave the the dog was crap.

What I just wrote about Saxon above was supposed to be a reply to you Lurchers.

19 hours ago, Geoff Whitehead said:

The easiest dogs to own are usually the ones with little prey drive which seems to be the case with yours, you wanna get something with some saluki in, f***ing nightmare but prey drive in abundance 

Just now, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

The easiest dogs to own are usually the ones with little prey drive which seems to be the case with yours, you wanna get something with some saluki in, f***ing nightmare but prey drive in abundance 

And yes you guessed it 

They run off ?‍♂️ ?‍♂️ 

21 hours ago, Geoff Whitehead said:

Nonsense.

1 hour ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

you wanna get something with some saluki in, f***ing nightmare but prey drive in abundance 

Pretty correct, but still a bit nonsense.

Just my take on it, from what I've seen.  Yep, plenty of prey drive, but more than most people know how to handle, or work with.

Edited by shaaark
17 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Nonsense.

Pretty correct, but still a bit nonsense.

Just my take on it, from what I've seen.  Yep, plenty of prey drive, but more than most people know how to handle, or work with.

i allways thought the big dearhound cross start maturing around 2 plus years and also there bone  growth takes a bit more time than most running dogs besides that once there light is swiched on your away powerfull animals atb tony

• Like 2