4 minutes ago, Rudeboy 1 said:

Ignore the silly foolish stupid wankkers I do mrhull

think Mac has a tough enough skin to take a bit o shit he gives has good as he gets Morton.I don’t think Mac looses any sleep of what goes on on here with all the Tom foolery as he sees straight through it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A photo i took the other day of my Deerhound x Greyhound   atb

I never tire of putting this picture up; Cheers.  

Seven weeks old, first cross Deerhound / Greyhound; Cheers.  

Posted Images

On 11/06/2021 at 20:16, Bosun11 said:

Owned a couple of dogs that had a drop of Deerhound blood in em, the best of which had a lot more desert dog blood in it.

I've posted this a couple of times on here years back but here it is again for those who've not read it....

Used to work with an old boy, back in the late 1980's, who did a lot of coursing back in his day, which was the 60's and early 70's. Jimmy was a farmer, a tennent farmer on a farm in Halsall, on the edge of Altcar estate. He would always doff an invisible hat to anyone he thought was a station above himself and mutter a volley of unpleasantries under his breath as they walked away!

Jim ran his dogs with some of the best coursing men back in the day, running all over the country, back before any desert dogs had started to take the cousing fields by storm.

Jimmy bred and ran Deerhound crosses as they were the most popular coursing cross back then. His friend was John Nuttall of Clithero, who is mentioned in the early Plummer books about this cross. Between them they bred their coursing dogs to match all over but with Altcar always their main ground.

Jimmy always said that the best of their dogs always came from a Deerhound dam to a coursing dog sire and never the other way round. The difficulty was always obtaining a quality Deerhound bitch, as they were expensive and difficult to find, though they always had quality coursing greyhound studs available, as they knew many of the owners and trainers that ran on Altcar.

The other thing that Jimmy always said with the cross was that a good match dog of this type had to know its ground and few dogs could be taken anywhere and win regular. He said his dogs were never beaten on Altcar, they knew the land and the hares too well.

Jimmy's coursing passion eventually lost him the tennency of his Halsall farm and he sadly came to work as the boilerman, in the local leisure centre, life had lost its shine for him. The only time his eyes would light up was when he would talk to me about his running dogs and them coursing days.

I remember me and a couple of mates dropping into work one Sunday morning with our coursing dogs and Jim was over the moon that we were dropping in. On arrival his face changed when he seen our Saluki bloods, he said, "Oh dear, a good hare would kill em Paul"

?

Did you take the old boy out and show him how other other breeds done it

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Did you take the old boy out and show him how other other breeds done it

No mate, i did offer a few times but he never gave me a straight answer. I think because of what his coursing did for him, his Mrs wouldn't have been too happy if he went. 

I did take him to the Waterloo cup though, must have been about 1988. He loved that and knew a fair few of the locals and landowners who get free tickets. I remember them talking about his old dogs and those days long gone and knew he was telling me the truth. ?

4 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

No mate, i did offer a few times but he never gave me a straight answer. I think because of what his coursing did for him, his Mrs wouldn't have been too happy if he went. 

I did take him to the Waterloo cup though, must have been about 1988. He loved that and knew a fair few of the locals and landowners who get free tickets. I remember them talking about his old dogs and those days long gone and knew he was telling me the truth. ?

Good man?

• Thanks 1

Heres hoping i may get this thread  back on track, at a loose end and lo and behold, i came across an article penned by old phil in theold shooting news feb 1987, price 65p, the article by phil was entitled THE DEERHOUND INFLUENCE, and what a great write up it was on the true working deerhound x, and thetribute and debt thatphil owed to his old straiin of greyhound/deerhoundx sheepdog hybrids,and especially his old bitch lucy, as old phil said she seved him well and deserved her retirement,if phil reads this he may kindly post the pic of himself and the brace of these hybrids that accompanied this article, like you phil i certainly owe alot to the deerhound x greyhounds of that era, think it was alan wilkinson co durham, that was slipping the   brace of pures on the front cover, im old school and wouldnt have a clue how to post pics, and yes im still running deerhounds xs if you like it or not, think these will be my last, like phil  getting that little bit older. atb running whatever cross suits your needs, the deerhounds always did it for me but it was a different era back then, and genuine stock was available.

• Like 11
6 hours ago, grompz said:

Heres hoping i may get this thread  back on track, at a loose end and lo and behold, i came across an article penned by old phil in theold shooting news feb 1987, price 65p, the article by phil was entitled THE DEERHOUND INFLUENCE, and what a great write up it was on the true working deerhound x, and thetribute and debt thatphil owed to his old straiin of greyhound/deerhoundx sheepdog hybrids,and especially his old bitch lucy, as old phil said she seved him well and deserved her retirement,if phil reads this he may kindly post the pic of himself and the brace of these hybrids that accompanied this article, like you phil i certainly owe alot to the deerhound x greyhounds of that era, think it was alan wilkinson co durham, that was slipping the   brace of pures on the front cover, im old school and wouldnt have a clue how to post pics, and yes im still running deerhounds xs if you like it or not, think these will be my last, like phil  getting that little bit older. atb running whatever cross suits your needs, the deerhounds always did it for me but it was a different era back then, and genuine stock was available.

You will be lucky to get the thread 'back on track ',...that ship has sailed,..those days have long since gone...?

Yes,..I do remember that image....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 15/03/2021 at 23:35, Kingofthelamp said:

What’s your thoughts on deerhound crosses?...what crosses do you lot keep?...what game are they used for?...any specific lines and if you would like to share a pic of your weapon(weapons) feel free to do so...

ATB king.

penawlytt dwain.jpg

• Like 10