Cheers, feet wise i learned about toe/foot injuries through one of my past dogs,plus i am a firm believer that by keeping  the nails short he has kept a good shape to his feet.The times i have seen photos of dogs with really long nails  by eck,atb.

• Like 3

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A photo i took the other day of my Deerhound x Greyhound   atb

I never tire of putting this picture up; Cheers.  

Seven weeks old, first cross Deerhound / Greyhound; Cheers.  

Posted Images

Been a big fan of deerhound /greyhound and their staghound offspring for about 20yrs. Like all dogs and their crosses its more to do with the dogs you start with then the breed. As luck would have it I meet a friend with some of the best hunting deerhound in Aus at the time. Picking the right greyhound is just as important it doesn't have to be the fastest you can get your hands of but it needs to have the right stuff at the finish. No point having a dog that can gallop along side a hare saying gday and never making a catch. The mother of my first deerhound greyhound was such a greyhound raised as a kids pet could even gallop when she first turned up but given the chance she was handy on every thing from rabbits to pigs and roos. Mated to the best big game causing dog deerhound I've ever seen. gaby was blessed with the abilities of her parents and gave me 10yrs of great hunting as well as a couple of exerlent staghound litters all capable hunters on all game.

FB_IMG_1621676136802.jpg

Edited by stevemac
Add photo
  • Like 3
On 04/06/2021 at 09:26, my hounds said:

Cheers, feet wise i learned about toe/foot injuries through one of my past dogs,plus i am a firm believer that by keeping  the nails short he has kept a good shape to his feet.The times i have seen photos of dogs with really long nails  by eck,atb.

I'm of the same mind fellah?

When I was catching up the Roe, we didn't have to run very many at night to bag up,..consequently, other than bad luck on the flint, we seemed to get away without  knocked up toes when running the Deerhound types..

However, when I started doing the rabbit control job, I was out with nets and ferrets most days and lamping often nights as well... Some 'sensitive' jobs had to be undertaken after dark , so the rabbiting dogs often took a real hammering due to the constant chases. I just kept fecking their feet up....it was a disaster?

It was then that I decided, on changing my faster dogs, for a more deliberate and chunkier style of runner...

Good feet on a dog are an extremely valuable asset.

If luck dont go your way, you end up fielding, a kennel full of limping cripples... 

Mind you,.no type of foot is completely immune from damage,...most jukels , if run enough will sustain, a few sprung toes..It is what it is..

I love to see all the various lurcher hybrids, I rate them all,..but I've a soft spot for the old Deerhound types.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 10
14 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

When I was catching up the Roe, we didn't have to run very many at night to bag up,..consequently, other than bad luck on the flint, we seemed to get away without  knocked up toes when running the Deerhound types..

However, when I started doing the rabbit control job, I was out with nets and ferrets most days and lamping often nights as well... Some 'sensitive' jobs had to be undertaken after dark , so the rabbiting dogs often took a real hammering due to the constant chases. I just kept fecking their feet up....it was a disaster?

It was then that I decided, on changing my faster dogs, for a more deliberate and chunkier style of runner...

If luck dont go your way, you end up fielding, a kennel full of limping cripples... 

Mind you,.no type of foot is completely immune from damage,...most jukels , if run enough will sustain, a few sprung toes..It is what it is..

I love to see all the various lurcher hybrids, I rate them all,..but I've a soft spot for the old Deerhound types.?

Yorkshire Hawes October 2009 014.jpg

That looks a particularly sturdy type phil, very nice.  ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, OldPhil said:

img Scans269.jpg

? phil I’m in the same thinking these days as your reply I’d rather a dog built to last that can take a nock or two than a out an out flying machine or a kennel full of dogs that have been loyal to me but ended up on the scrap heap it makes more sense an economical to go down the sturdy type of dog road don’t get me wrong I love a racey dog in full stride 

C93A3E38-F7D6-4778-9838-AD19EAB4A76C.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, OldPhil said:

img Scans269.jpg

De ja vue...........

IMG_0439.JPG.20d38135b3e95f7e4eee39d0e89a1f0d.JPG

Cheers.

• Like 5
47 minutes ago, stonewall said:

full deerhound good dog in his day,daughter full deer hound bitch.bitch pup fully grown now first cross deerhound grey hound.

FullSizeRender_5.jpg

FullSizeRender_6.jpg

IMG_2251.JPG

IMG_2256.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2548 (2).JPG

Nice dogs stonewall what did you run with pure mainly mate

11 hours ago, stonewall said:

full deerhound good dog in his day,daughter full deer hound bitch.bitch pup fully grown now first cross deerhound grey hound.

FullSizeRender_5.jpg

FullSizeRender_6.jpg

IMG_2251.JPG

IMG_2256.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2548 (2).JPG

Lovely hounds there mate.  ?

On 18/03/2021 at 22:33, trenchfoot said:

IMG_2075.jpeg.3c178f68bc395d8671249f4041382b0c.jpegWeapon of choice for next season. Weapon?FFS!

The look in her eyes! That is a look only a Lurcher can throw at something, translated that look says ‘I’m gonna find you, I’m going to run you down and I will kill you’! 

• Like 3