Scissor / claw mole traps

Does anybody actually use these traps or are they the go to traps for people who haven’t got a clue ?two jobs I’ve been to and found these sticking out of the top of mole hills and when ever used mole traps come up on eBay guaranteed it’s these ?

2 hours ago, big napper said:

Well thats it then, i got some from a bloke for free, now i know why, not used them and will be binning them now i know that, cheers for the heads up

I have two thay work handy to have mix of traps some moles will have your life changing trap can catch the mole out mate ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/03/2021 at 21:00, big napper said:

Nice one il keep them then and try them out at some point, cheers lads

As the others have expressed, the scissor mole trap isnt the first choice, for most mole catchers, nowadays (with its two different spring types, that perhaps could be manufactured, stronger ?). But, at one time it was them & the half barrel type, mainly, only at your disposal. Ok, there was the Fenn loop type for a while, & the smaller Fenn scissor, too. Now, the fenn loop type, a dont rate highly,...shame really would have liked it to have been better,..compact little trap, that it is too. More powerful spring maybe, for starters. That new trigger modification (since they brung the trap back),..doesnt work either (well, in my opinion) results were slightly better , with that old piece of wire or paperclip, trigger, in the originals. So the heavier (eliza style) scisssor types, well that triggers a bit stiff, i think,...so the metal wire attaching the trigger & that hangs from the hinge of the trap, needs removing & replaced with string/thin baler twine, etc. Makes the trigger slightly less stiff for starters. Also , the two wee lugs each side of the trigger where you jam the trap jaws open,...you need pliers to adjust them a bit , makes it more sensitive to going off,....when mole tries to move it. I remember the odd mole man, used to set the scissor, like a talpex, dig & clean out your hole, place trap, & then back fill with soil,...... Main thing is (when setting normally) seal it well (above the run) with light turf & soil, to exclude light & air. Best capture rate i achieved with any scissor, was the wee Fenn one. About a 50% capture rate (without modifying the trap, at all) but, i know better now   lol     Anyway, this will all be common knowledge these days, i guess, but worth a go trying them, anyhow.

Edited by earth-thrower
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Saw one of the original, true Fenn mole loops sold, the other day.

Can't remember which exact Type (Don't s'pose either seller or buyer knew anyway) Can't remember what it went for.

But, I Do remember thinking; " Jesus Christ!!! :icon_eek: "

I've still got one in the basement. Is it worth digging it out?

3 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

I've still got one in the basement. Is it worth digging it out?

Fukk Yeah!!! Don't you Dare ever think of sticking it in the ground! Might as well shove your wallet in a mole hole!

I slung up a shot, on my Old Traps thread, demonstrating the four different Types. Not that it should matter as most people just want 'an example' and don't even know there are so many different traps, all lumped together under the one name. Like " The Juby Trap ".

But, yeah; Shift that one and it'll go for a bloody site more than it retailed at!

• Like 1

What’s peoples opinions of the Nomol trap does any body use them, I’ve been reading these threads with interest my son moves into a new house later in the month and I noticed in the pics he’s sent me he has about half a dozen mole hills well this has got me all excited so I want to trap them, so I just want to get some effective first time traps.

11 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

No mole wouldn’t pull a hair out your arse ?? check out the page I posted a few times but incase you ain’t saw it I’ll post it again, anything this man sells is worth buying an his prices won’t be matched pal, any probs with the mole stick a thread up an we have him dead in no time ?

WWW.UKPUTANGESUPPLIES.CO.UK

mole control - putange mole traps for sale - find a mole catcher in sussex - find a mole catcher in...

Just got 100 tunnel traps £202 delivered feel good strong traps pal?