• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I breed mine this yr you can have your pick for free? Ps. the milk is lactose free?before any cnut starts... 

some of us keep small ferrets because we don't want to be digging. when you are somewhere you shouldn't be you want a ferret to bolt rabbits or come off after 15 minutes or so, you can't afford to be

I've always kept a polecat type,the odd small bew, blended the EU in with them... Proper grafters, never seemed to tire, I lost 3 Jill's in 1 go after giving them the jab.. The last jill their mother

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, terryd said:

Keep an eye here if during the spring 

Do you get many on here that's willing to sell odd micro ferret or polecat. Ya see many will want to keep the young back and the rest go to pals they work the sod with. That's why you know many on these pet pages are just in it for the money 100 to 200 pound unreal simple b*****ds that pay them prices. Cheers for reply pal 

Edited by Bangersanmash

Prices are the same in Australia this season we are flooded with ferrets for sale but the prices are all over the place. The one thing I alway wounded they advertise them from good working lines. Does it really matter as I always had thought it was just in them to hunt it’s just the way you bring them up and looking after them. DA43D69D-ED85-46BD-8D3A-438C8EBE7CDF.png.b83b3de5e5b4ad7d7f6ffff760cab6a4.pngC1444747-AB57-4756-BCF3-1F5002A9E08D.png.81006a8812ce0c156dd98b37074bd768.png

9 hours ago, Guss33 said:

Prices are the same in Australia this season we are flooded with ferrets for sale but the prices are all over the place. The one thing I alway wounded they advertise them from good working lines. Does it really matter as I always had thought it was just in them to hunt it’s just the way you bring them up and looking after them. 

I think most people on here would disagree with you but my favourite ever ferret was a polecat marked hob I bought from a pet shop in Fratton in Portsmouth. They had them all in a big aviary out the back of the shop and were cleaning them out when I arrived. They were all in the bottom of a black plastic bin and the bloke said, "Take your pick," so I stuck my hand in and picked him up. Friendliest ferret I ever had.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Guss33 said:

Prices are the same in Australia this season we are flooded with ferrets for sale but the prices are all over the place. The one thing I alway wounded they advertise them from good working lines. Does it really matter as I always had thought it was just in them to hunt it’s just the way you bring them up and looking after them. DA43D69D-ED85-46BD-8D3A-438C8EBE7CDF.png.b83b3de5e5b4ad7d7f6ffff760cab6a4.pngC1444747-AB57-4756-BCF3-1F5002A9E08D.png.81006a8812ce0c156dd98b37074bd768.png

Working strain definitely increases your chances of getting decent workers, I agree you can get lucky and pet bred ferrets that work well but there are more and more being bred for appearance over generations rather than working ability or even health now. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Neal said:

I think most people on here would disagree with you but my favourite ever ferret was a polecat marked hob I bought from a pet shop in Fratton in Portsmouth. They had them all in a big aviary out the back of the shop and were cleaning them out when I arrived. They were all in the bottom of a black plastic bin and the bloke said, "Take your pick," so I stuck my hand in and picked him up. Friendliest ferret I ever had.

I had a similar experience, was low on adult working jills and saw one advertised turns out it was a pet home lady kept it in the kitchen in a tiny cage and fed her cat food. Only wanted £10 and felt almost duty bound to take her as felt so sorry for her kept like that she turned out to be one of, if not the best, worker I have ever owned. Twenty odd years ago and her blood still flows through my current workers. Whilst worker to worker breeding is preferred, obviously, I still think ferrets are still not ruined enough that most ferrets will work given the chance. The pet homes haven’t managed to ruin 100’s of years of instinct and selective breeding...yet. 

• Like 1

There's no facts that a well worked ferrets kits and a none worked ferrets kits won't both do the job the prey drive is instinct. It's in the ferret not the man who works them or thinks it's the breeding. A ferrets a ferret an polecat a polecat. You take both young that's green from working parents and none working parents and start them off the same time. " They will both be come great works. You could say the food you feed them  like rabbit the cent from a rabbit carcass just like a weasel or stoat would feed there young that how they  pick up on from eating  the prey then abit of age will drive that young ferret when working because it's the prey drive for food the instinct to feed. 

On 14/03/2021 at 08:41, Guss33 said:

Does it really matter as I always had thought it was just in them to hunt it’s just the way you bring them up and looking after them. 

I don't think it does to a point, most pet ferrets probably came from workers not long back anyway. The best working ferret I had was named Grim, I bought him at a feed store, he was a starving, dirty, ugly looking albino and I only bought him as I felt sorry for him. He pushed out thousands of rabbits in the 9 years with me, never bit and was good with the dogs. You could show him  a blackberry patch and he would flush out the rabbits then get back into his box. He cost me $10.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I don't think it does to a point, most pet ferrets probably came from workers not long back anyway. The best working ferret I had was named Grim, I bought him at a feed store, he was a starving, dirty, ugly looking albino and I only bought him as I felt sorry for him. He pushed out thousands of rabbits in the 9 years with me, never bit and was good with the dogs. You could show him  a blackberry patch and he would flush out the rabbits then get back into his box. He cost me $10.

that sounds great... would have liked to see him work....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Disagree all you want, they get dragged around by rabbits an battered off rats over here, not sure about your ferrets or what size they are but the micro ferrets over here struggle to a full days work or deal with a big buck rabbit. Your welcome to come see

micro ferrets are handy because they can fit into spaces big ferrets can't get into. (extremely handy when ratting) but also for rabbiting it can be handy. it is treu that a micro can't flush a big stuborn rabbit. but on the other hand it also can't kill the rabbit so that you need to dig them out.  i personaly always carry differnent size ferrets along with me.

for rats i start with big ferrets and if they can't get the smaller rats out i start working smaller ferrets.

with rabbit i do it the other way around, i start with small ferrets, and if they can't flush the rabbit i start working bigger ferrets.

with rat is do it in that way to avoid damage to the ferrets

with rabbits i do it in that way to avoid damage underground to the rabbits

i got ferrets from 150gram  up to 900 gram

• Like 2