A first for me

3 minutes ago, fireman said:

I know what a foxdropper was and it's just a  hunt servant who dropped a bagged fox in front of a pack of hounds that couldn't find just so the mounted field had a chase??, whats to respect for any of that cruel bollocks ?..

Really mate ? Certainly didnt know that. Interesting.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two in one been trapping over year now first dubble for me

Funny old world is mole catching.  Popular wisdom, as it was handed to me, always said you must make sure the tunnel is a run that the mole travels in either direction - there's no point setting

Get plenty of doubles with Putanges  your luck will change

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, fireman said:

I know what a foxdropper was and it's just a  hunt servant who dropped a bagged fox in front of a pack of hounds that couldn't find just so the mounted field had a chase??, whats to respect for any of that cruel bollocks ?..

What cruel bollocks Steve .Don’t make yourself look silly mate .
If you know nothing Steve best to keep quiet 

24 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Takes a man to admit he was wrong, now he a bigger man an he quiet for a wee while ?? 

so you use tunnel traps mostly if you only recently converted to talpex an putange? Let’s hear any wee pearls of wisdom you got for barrels then, you must have a few of you been solely using them year? Do you use a custom spade or owt? Trap main runs? Farm land? Many do you run at time pal? I’m new to them an found them a bit time consuming at first but since sussed the spade an how to tweak them I’m getting results, only wish all the decent traps weren’t sold out now as it’s hard to get a decent half barrel IMO 

putanges are great, little bit time consuming but once you get into the swing of it even a big field can be done with them to avoid stock or unwanted eyes or such, dynamite an worth there weight in gold around gardens walls an orchards I have found

talpex, real talpex are the daddy of all mole traps imho, if they wasn’t so pricey I’d use them a lot more an forget the barrels all together ?

Good post, mate

Just now, earth-thrower said:

Good post, mate

Good questions, too. ive covered alot of that stuff in my posts , over the years, so dont want to bore anybody again, with it. Hey listen , your a good trapper already, but i think your gonna end up a really, good moleman. Your interest & enthusiam, is there, & i agree with you fully, Talpex & Putange is now saving me, valueable time, on alot of sets/situations, so i know where your coming from ?    atb (genuinely) in the end,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Funny old world is mole catching. 

Popular wisdom, as it was handed to me, always said you must make sure the tunnel is a run that the mole travels in either direction - there's no point setting in a dead-end.

And yet, using putangs, I often set in dead ends, and I often catch in them - in fact I catch in them regularly. 

Another law - 'don't set your traps in mole hills.'. If I'm up against it, I'll often shift a molehill to see if it's sitting on a run and if there's a tunnel running beneath, the traps go in and I often catch that way too.

If I'd have stuck rigidly to all 'The Rules' as dictated by the old boy who mentored me way back, would I have missed out on many moles? Maybe not, but it's satisfying, educational and fun to develop your own way of doing things that work well too.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, foxdropper said:

What cruel bollocks Steve .Don’t make yourself look silly mate .
If you know nothing Steve best to keep quiet 

I know enough dickhead to know what a shithead a fox dropper is and tell me what part of keeping a wild animal caged or bagged up until you drop it in front of a pack of hounds isn't cruel as most folk on here will think it fecking wrong..

10 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Takes a man to admit he was wrong, now he a bigger man an he quiet for a wee while ?? 

so you use tunnel traps mostly if you only recently converted to talpex an putange? Let’s hear any wee pearls of wisdom you got for barrels then, you must have a few of you been solely using them year? Do you use a custom spade or owt? Trap main runs? Farm land? Many do you run at time pal? I’m new to them an found them a bit time consuming at first but since sussed the spade an how to tweak them I’m getting results, only wish all the decent traps weren’t sold out now as it’s hard to get a decent half barrel IMO 

putanges are great, little bit time consuming but once you get into the swing of it even a big field can be done with them to avoid stock or unwanted eyes or such, dynamite an worth there weight in gold around gardens walls an orchards I have found

talpex, real talpex are the daddy of all mole traps imho, if they wasn’t so pricey I’d use them a lot more an forget the barrels all together ?

I started with putangs then quickly moved on to barrels then quickly moved on to talpex which is my go to trap until last week when I went to a job and it was Hard clay when the talpex would of been useless so out come the barrels which done the job plus I always carry a few putangs because you never know and found the run going over a tree root up and down so put a Putang either side which also done the job horses for courses when it comes to trapping by the way does anybody tweak there talpex I’m sure I read they bend the trigger ? Atb BB 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, LuckOrJudgement said:

Funny old world is mole catching. 

Popular wisdom, as it was handed to me, always said you must make sure the tunnel is a run that the mole travels in either direction - there's no point setting in a dead-end.

And yet, using putangs, I often set in dead ends, and I often catch in them - in fact I catch in them regularly. 

Another law - 'don't set your traps in mole hills.'. If I'm up against it, I'll often shift a molehill to see if it's sitting on a run and if there's a tunnel running beneath, the traps go in and I often catch that way too.

If I'd have stuck rigidly to all 'The Rules' as dictated by the old boy who mentored me way back, would I have missed out on many moles? Maybe not, but it's satisfying, educational and fun to develop your own way of doing things that work well too.

No one showed me f**k all when I started 20 odd yrs ago as a young  green keeper...bought a few traps and cracked on, Learnt through trail and error... Caught my fair share setting in the hills over the yrs... 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

No one showed me f**k all when I started 20 odd yrs ago as a young  green keeper...bought a few traps and cracked on, Learnt through trail and error... Caught my fair share setting in the hills over the yrs... 

Was shown for cupple of hours how to set traps every day a school day mole trapping been at it about year or so and getting better at placing traps getting better numbers , 43 traps down yesterday picked 4 up on way back and 6 this morning , field just done 32 moles trapped an 10 from this field on same farm?

• Like 2