Brining a pup on

None of your mates got good rabbit dog bring them Back un touched or ferret a couple get it’s mouth going knowing what to expect or just lamp some but make sure they not running towards a bad hedge with wire or dike young dogs keen do silly things lol ?? 

Go to local fur n feather buy a cheap brown rabbit one night take them out to the middle of a grass field put the rabbit down walk away 20foot and lamp it so the pup sees the rabbit then slip the rabbit is not going anywhere after a few slips go home and either eat it or feed to ferret 

• Haha 1

Id wait till next season to get him/her going on the lamp no point in trying to start a green dog at the end of the season on educated rabbits on the lamp it’d just sour the dog or cause frustration . Just let it finish being a pup over the summer with a bit of sun on its back will do the pup the world of good. if you know anyone that ferrets now be good letting it get its mouth round some netted rabbits just pinning to nets ive always liked getting young dogs pinning in nets it gives them success makes them feel there the best thing since sliced bread getting live fur in there gobs 

• Like 1

Forget game fella, just let the mutt mature, let the dog run free and get used to the dangers on the land wire ect. The start of next season you got uneducated rabs to go at, use an halogen lamp to start a youngun off led lamps not the same, forget droppers just unnecessary cruelty that is. First few times go without expectation its just training, never slip the pup until you know its seen the rabbit, a common mistake which leads to frustration. Atb 

• Like 1

Ketchum don’t want to spoil it with fast glow in the dark raceing rabbits just something that will move and squeal then when it is ready to lamp it knows what’s at the end of the beam 

When u brought my pup on I started abit early September sort of time but I'd also bought a rabbit skin dummy and been chucking that about and also took the dummy out with the lamp and chucked it as because they have good recall with game in its mouth it may go out the window on its first catch with the lamp. I did as much as I could with him while he was a pup to give myself and him the best chance of catching the more effort you put in the more you get back best of luck with the dog ??

Try and start mine off around 4/5 months old with some ferretting alongside an experienced dog, get them marking, steady etc.... I'd wait until next season now if I was you, work on recall,stock breaking, retrieve next few months ?DSC_2196.JPG.ca8a9cb8332585765064a666ecffc6e1.JPG

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Try and start mine off around 4/5 months old with some ferretting alongside an experienced dog, get them marking, steady etc.... I'd wait until next season now if I was you, work on recall,stock breaking, retrieve next few months ?DSC_2196.JPG.ca8a9cb8332585765064a666ecffc6e1.JPG

yeh that great way to get pup interested in rabbits. but being honest i found getting the pup out when very young 10 weeks old, makes massive difference , they learn there field craft ,  ditches , gates , fences etc, get them used to sheep  as well.But regards lamping ,Buck picked up very quick  watching bryn  catching , held him on the lead, when bryn alive, i let Buck have smell, did this most of the night, by time Buck 6-8 months old he run the beam and take couple squatters  .Bryn was as well had him out  young, they both got good recall in the lamp, even now i give Buck few recalls in the day 20-30 yards,  and another thing i only ever done couple retrieves with a dummy, Buck never need it, trigger on tell you same,  if the re call 120% thats all you need, ok if fook about with there 1st few catches , it nothing it just a rabbit, mine jump 5 bar gates  , run though cattle holding there rabbits , and  anything else bigger  Buck carried back to me  lol

• Like 1
1 minute ago, bird said:

yeh that great way to get pup interested in rabbits. but being honest i found getting the pup out when very young 10 weeks old, makes massive difference , they learn there field craft ,  ditches , gates , fences etc, get them used to sheep  as well.But regards lamping ,Buck picked up very quick  watching bryn  catching , held him on the lead, when bryn  brought back a alive, i let Buck have smell, did this most of the night, by time Buck 6-8 months old he run the beam and take couple squatters  .Bryn was as well had him out  young, they both got good recall in the lamp, even now i give Buck few recalls in the day 20-30 yards,  and another thing i only ever done couple retrieves with a dummy, Buck never need it, trigger on tell you same,  if the re call 120% thats all you need, ok if fook about with there 1st few catches , it nothing it just a rabbit, mine jump 5 bar gates  , run though cattle holding there rabbits , and  anything else bigger  Buck carried back to me  lol

Something I've done with my last two pups which I think has made a world of difference, i just spent a fair bit of time mooching about at night with them off the lead, getting used to being with me in the darkness, of coming in when called and all that stuff, chase a few bits they knock up in the head torch etc. But more the daft stuff like under gates, over fences, etc etc.

• Like 1