Whomp.. whomp.. whomp..

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You might have noticed I’m a bit of a nerd. So walking the dogs this glorious afternoon when this happened I was pretty well made up. My attention was drawn by the sound to the chinook coming str

Down the local army camp today ??Nmp 

I’ve flown in pretty much all the military helicopters but there’s something special about hedge hoping in a chinook in NI or coming in hot into a landing zone In the desert arse first with tail gate

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

They all be yank ones though right? There's a fair bit of desire to buy some for the UK forces but they cost a fortune to do the same job as a Chinook.

I'm sure I'd f***ing hate being in one too. I need to see the horizon.

Seen ospreys at Donna nook , fecking awesome , but still prefer to see the typhoons at conisby going through there places ?

• Like 1

Parents day at RAF Benson the lads and lasses put on a good display for all the mums and Dads and a big piss up afterwards, I was all dressed up to go on the Chinny when literally as we was boarding the lad in charge said sorry cancelled it’s been commandeered for the display team, I was like shit really wanted to go on that, we got a choice a Puma or a Merlin me and my younger lad chose the Puma what a great machine doors open whilst flying was a real apocalypse now experience lol....

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, ArchieHood said:

Before the Shoreham air crash, you could watch most air shows from any vantage point,We used to stand in the sheep field before the runway approach at Yeovilton Airday....Close up and personal.

In my opinion the best plane ever built I’ve seen them fly several times and the noise there’s nothing like it, that video you put up I used to play it through my stereo at full blast, I also live very close by to XL426 one of the few remaining Vulcans which does taxi runs several times a year sad they are all grounded they were the highlight of any air show. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

You might have noticed I’m a bit of a nerd. So walking the dogs this glorious afternoon when this happened I was pretty well made up.

My attention was drawn by the sound to the chinook coming straight at me from over the wolds. He then banked hard straight over my head.

D85C441E-9C8C-4594-A712-0BC4109ACEFC.png.2897b89ad2353ca5161e803a7aa3a06c.png

CB844FC3-7F33-4FBB-9299-BC54435000C7.png.7d87219a7948c4c344a34d9d3de4c6bb.png

B6957384-7453-40C8-B9A8-760542109DDF.png.a6d49ba70a48aff7375794d4fa967408.png
I thought he was showing off but then he did another loop. Straight over me again.

3F7B0AB2-3C05-4873-B13D-51D30D20930D.png.7e13a218757ff03b879a305220ce43ed.png

189EB561-9DD5-42C0-AE73-38157D1410BA.png.b45962225afc84456eace23c9ddea17b.png

At this point I really thought he was showing off and then he set it down in the next field to meet a small group of civilians gathered.

5A1BFF2D-FFCC-4AF4-91DD-4B44359F4BCF.png.58a647fb6bb739b38fab619beb0de21c.png

A048E179-7870-41E9-B33A-7F7BDB5C18BA.png.0cb06921cee995d414fbcaeac2571a89.png

Absolutely awesome little private show from the RAF and on a beautiful afternoon.

Come And spend a weekend at my place mate you will see pretty much every armoured vehicle and military helicopter .... we were ratting Sunday and 6 challenger 2’s trundled past ?

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

In my opinion the best plane ever built I’ve seen them fly several times and the noise there’s nothing like it, that video you put up I used to play it through my stereo at full blast, I also live very close by to XL426 one of the few remaining Vulcans which does taxi runs several times a year sad they are all grounded they were the highlight of any air show. 

when it used to take off, it would set off about 6000 car alarms.It would do a flypast so slow i dont know how it stayed in the air.Amazing aircraft .

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, socks said:

Come And spend a weekend at my place mate you will see pretty much every armoured vehicle and military helicopter .... we were ratting Sunday and 6 challenger 2’s trundled past ?

Where do you live? Imber village? ?

57 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Dunno mate. I've only been a few times. First time I ever went I was attwnding a course 'sonar and underwater acoustics' at the hotel. Was pretty much entry level course to sonar physics for the defence industry. I genuinely love the south coast.

A little off topic.i said this before on here.

I was reading a spearfishing thread on a forum and a guy was talking about night time spear fishing in cornwall.and he could hear whales calling.obviously from miles out to sea now that would be some experience listening to that in the pitch black sea...

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

Another family favourite for us is the Fat Albert the Hercules my eldest son spent most of his RAF career at Lyneham they hold a lot of memories for him good and bad.

My old dad was a fire chief on air bases and ended up a DO at Boscome Down and finally at Farnbourgh,we as kids spent most weekends during the display season out with him  watching the shows from sat in the fire tenders with the crew(if any thing like that could happen these days,lol). Great memories for me to and i spent enough time around aircraft as a youngster to know what the title was before i saw it was about chinook's :laugh:..

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

My ex wife's uncle used to live in Harmston Lincolnshire and he worked in Saudi. We used to stay in his cottage when we went coursing and it was right under the flight path of the Vulcans from RAF Waddington.

This was at the one of the Falklands war.

Could almost see the colour of the pilots eyes when they went over. Awesome.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

Interesting topic. Without geeking out too much... does anyone else use these tracker Apps??

Had one some years now since kids were young and used guess with them where the planes were heading when we were sat out bbqing and what not.

Obviously not everything in the air is visible on there but there does seem to be a lot of the RAF planes showing this last year or so. Jest flicked it on now and it's pretty quiet out there it seems.. bar this Hercules..

176195440_Screenshot_20210308-214300_PlaneFinder.jpg.733d53a1ab4bb618c5f500ee1b57b3bc.jpg1093195803_Screenshot_20210308-214337_PlaneFinder.jpg.b082e03f565fbcd671d1e13e3a69dce3.jpg

I believe you can set alerts up.. but I've never got that far with it...lol..

• Like 1

I worked for Lockheed Aircraft in Saudi in the 70's on the C130 program, also on th G.E. & NavAids program.

The Hercules has been a great work horse for many years and is still going strong.

Mind you, I liked it as the "Puff the Majic Dragon" version in the Vietnam war. That would strike fear into anyone !

Cheers.

• Like 3

I’ve flown in pretty much all the military helicopters but there’s something special about hedge hoping in a chinook in NI or coming in hot into a landing zone In the desert arse first with tail gate open and doing a rolling dismount ??? ......

• Like 3