Whomp.. whomp.. whomp..

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You might have noticed I’m a bit of a nerd. So walking the dogs this glorious afternoon when this happened I was pretty well made up. My attention was drawn by the sound to the chinook coming str

Down the local army camp today ??Nmp 

I’ve flown in pretty much all the military helicopters but there’s something special about hedge hoping in a chinook in NI or coming in hot into a landing zone In the desert arse first with tail gate

Posted Images

Those pics are straight off my iPhone and the only ones zoomed are of him landing. That should give you an idea of how close it was!

Anyway, reminded me of a time we were walking to the last drive one equally beautiful afternoon and two AAC apaches came straight over and I managed to catch them too.

B1A7720C-DF3B-4189-BC90-5471FD1973DA.png

4D20F517-D37A-49E6-9DBC-46B1BD2A16D8.png

• Like 2

That would of made my day seeing a chinook so close aswell mate..

I seen a programme a while back about them and found this display on youtube.

What an amazing machine.and that unmistakable sound of them in the  distance..

A good display here...

Feck me I get them flying so low over my house I can wave at the pilots they land on the docks over the road then take off again a short while later, makes all the windows shake can happen every other day sometimes ??

Quiet often get helicopters or jets flying over the farm being close to the old marine base and run way. I always think when out in the field and hear the jets coming that if I was a taliban and they was coming you wouldn’t be trying to fight them that’s for sure ?

6 minutes ago, king said:

That would of made my day seeing a chinook so close aswell mate..

I seen a programme a while back about them and found this display on youtube.

What an amazing machine.and that unmistakable sound of them in the  distance..

A good display here...

This is my favourite. 

Similarly

In another life...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

it’s all them osprey things about up here now a days but back when I first come see it was chinooks. I loved them till I started hating them ?

They all be yank ones though right? There's a fair bit of desire to buy some for the UK forces but they cost a fortune to do the same job as a Chinook.

I'm sure I'd f***ing hate being in one too. I need to see the horizon.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Feck me I get them flying so low over my house I can wave at the pilots they land on the docks over the road then take off again a short while later, makes all the windows shake can happen every other day sometimes ??

Over the years I've seen everything we have up close having lived in Lincolnshire. Tornadoes were always my favourite. But this was a bit special.

Now that is some impressive stuff right there.that boat came in with some speed aswell.ive never seen that before.

I've allways thought that helicopters have got to be 1 of the best machines ever invented..

9 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

When you enter a chinook you should have your weapon pointing down incase it fires into the rotors above in an accidental discharge, all well an good bit them you sit on 2 benches in the rear, along each wall an facing each other so you can see out the windows behind the guy you looking at, one minute you can see the horizon an then the cnut flying it banks hard and your looking straight down at the fields, then banks again an it’s pretty sky, fcuking stomach used to go mental, an they knew it, an then to make shit worse you got a fcuking mechanic dude running back an fro the full length of chinook with an adjustable spanner tightening an loosening things ☹️ I’d much rather a 30 mile tab in with full kit than a half hour chinook ride ?? 

it’s all them osprey things about up here now a days but back when I first come see it was chinooks. I loved them till I started hating them ?

How many times you been in a chinook katchum.

Just now, king said:

I've allways thought that helicopters have got to be 1 of the best machines ever invented..

They were certainly game changing in warfare. The Falklands war really highlighted the importance of the Chinook.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I was once in a lynx aswell, couldn’t have got me in a second time unless you tranq’d me like mr t???

Yeah, theyre mean bits of kit. Do they still hold the world helo speed record? I pass yeovilton quite regularly and see them but very rarely see them up here. Same with the merlins.

Before this lockdown I was on Portland and got my first sight of one of our destroyers, along with some RFA ships I was less bothered by. That was cool. One day I'll make an effort to go see the carriers.