No rabbits and a young pup

7 minutes ago, fred90 said:

it's a case of putting the miles in then. by foot and by motor. I went for a mooch at 7-30,today got back around 12-30.saw 3 rabbits and marked a nice little 2 holer.dog only got a run at 1 which ran into some stables and I had to leave sharpish. 

? gotta put the miles in ??

1 hour ago, fred90 said:

what did you plan to hunt when you bought the dog? 

Rabbits, deer and fox if they was legal to do so

1 hour ago, poxon said:

Could be something as simple as entertaining a field from a non normal way of entering that can get you between were the rabbits are wanting to be heading an in the position of getting at them why there out in the field for a run could be as simple as that.

Thats very true, been trying to enter with wind blowing into me to not carry my stank lol. Unfortunately where they are is a motorway and fence so its easy for them to just hop to safety again. Its definitely somthing ill keep in mind and try to implement though mate thank you.

1 hour ago, poxon said:

I’m guessing rabbit fred ive seen loads of people buying rabbiter types an think there going to be layden with loads of rabbits because they don’t want hassle owning other types and how the law stands then realise the rabbits are more scarce than they thought unless there willing to put miles in then find there self snookered with a dog that they struggling to get work for 

Knew i wouldnt be swimming in rabbits mate but numbers seem to have totally disappeared this year.

I drive and happy to put miles in. 

Her parents did more than rabbits and shes capable of more when old enough. 

45 minutes ago, fred90 said:

it's a case of putting the miles in then. by foot and by motor. I went for a mooch at 7-30,today got back around 12-30.saw 3 rabbits and marked a nice little 2 holer.dog only got a run at 1 which ran into some stables and I had to leave sharpish. 

You poaching old bugger Fred and I bet you had the catty stuffed in your pocket ?

• Haha 1
47 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Seasons done, an your dogs a pup. Enjoy the summer an learn to drive or find somebody willing to drive, either that or be happy with what you got 

Happy new year ?

??

• Haha 1

I'm in/was in the same boat. Took 6 nights out, over many miles to finally nab a rabbit for my pup local.

It was soul destroying, if i'd of had my old dog i'd of caught rabbits every night but it's bloody difficult with a pup.

Eventually we got one and it was both worth it and nessesary...

Keep at it, don't give up, put the effort in and you'll be glad you did. 

We've got stormy weather coming this week, get your lamp charged... ?

23 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

You poaching old bugger Fred and I bet you had the catty stuffed in your pocket ?

never without it mate. always chance of squirrel or pigeon ?. chap with stables fxxked me off last year. I was that busy watching dog work hedgerows I didn't see him coming, he was on foot. I have to be extra vigilant now??

• Haha 4
39 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

I'm in/was in the same boat. Took 6 nights out, over many miles to finally nab a rabbit for my pup local.

It was soul destroying, if i'd of had my old dog i'd of caught rabbits every night but it's bloody difficult with a pup.

Eventually we got one and it was both worth it and nessesary...

Keep at it, don't give up, put the effort in and you'll be glad you did. 

We've got stormy weather coming this week, get your lamp charged... ?

Thanks for the reply mate. Will keep at it not giving up til shes had a run ? Lamps on charge and ready to go ? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, poxon said:

Maybe it’s your method of lamping or how your lamping if you’ve seen rabbits there by hedges there be some kicking about they know your coming before you even realise what’s going on this time of year there no longer green that’s why there sat at the hedge line because they been spooked they probably outsmarted many a lamper an know what the lamp means 

I have recently bought a very decent night vison spotter than will pick up a rabbit at a really decent range and what’s amazed me is I will enter a field and in the distance at the edge of the spotters range you will see rabbits already high tailing for the hedge. That’s just me having a look, no lights or even a dog on a slip. Some rabbits are almost impossible to lamp there gone before you even get close enough to see them! 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, fred90 said:

never without it mate. always chance of squirrel or pigeon ?. chap with stables fxxked me off last year. I was that busy watching dog work hedgerows I didn't see him coming, he was on foot. I have to be extra vigilant now??

Fred I can fill a freezer with pheasants for free but the dog catching one in the hedge or hitting one with the cattywhere     If You  somewhere where you shouldn’t btheytaste  better if It’s In you it never leaves You,keep mooching mate ? 

• Like 3

Anyone ever restock areas with rabbits? I went back to an area called the common near a small town I lived in,there was always a few about but people have been dumping their pet rabbits for a while now. The place is now infested with rabbits of all colours. I'm surprised they survived and bred up seeing there are heaps of fox and feral cats there.

On 08/03/2021 at 21:38, Loton Moocher said:

Fred I can fill a freezer with pheasants for free but the dog catching one in the hedge or hitting one with the cattywhere     If You  somewhere where you shouldn’t btheytaste  better if It’s In you it never leaves You,keep mooching mate ? 

Love it when a pup just misses it chases then get it’s on the drop ??