Pellets.. Just not good enough

Recently I've been experimenting with a wide range of pellets in different spring Rifles... 

I have to say I thought I'd found that H&N Field Target Trophy pellets wee pretty good, then I got to my second tin and, all my groups expanded in the black to look like a pepper pot rather than one jagged hole in the centre of a 30 yard target. 

I went back to my AA FT 4.51s and the group was back.

I tried some Bisley Super Fields and at first they grouped then they stopped. 

Finished my day shooting around 100 more AA with OK results... 

So I get home and I'm feeling a little ripped off you know, these are supposedly made in Germany and Czech R. Premium grade products, the AAs are for sure the best. I started weighing them, like some kind of obsessed loony. 

Have you ever been through a tin.. Like thr H&N quotes gr isn't even near the average and Bisley don't even say what they are on the tin and the deviation is huge. 

How can it be that these premium products are so inconsistent. I mean shooting from a tin in comp is total non starter. I guess always. But you should be able to get any premium pellet to at least be close to what they say they are. 

My tuned springers look mega consistent for power when the pellets weigh the same. 

Surely we got technology that can make better more consistent air rifle pellets? 

• Like 1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You need to get a life ?

All those years we used beatall and marksman pellets from the local corner shop and they seemed to work ok. I don’t think we knew any better or even if there was any better available. My local hardwar

Recently I've been experimenting with a wide range of pellets in different spring Rifles...  I have to say I thought I'd found that H&N Field Target Trophy pellets wee pretty good, then I got

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, JakeFury said:

Yeah.... I did say, like a loony. 

The first one I weighed was off so I kept going. And.. Jesus... They are all bloody different. 

Yep , weighed a tin of H&N ftt lowest 13.8 and most came in @ 15.5. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, villaman said:

Yep , weighed a tin of H&N ftt lowest 13.8 and most came in @ 15.5. 

Wow... A hole tin. 

I had admire your sheer lunacy haha.... But bloody hell man... H&N that is.... H&N no bloody SMK spit fires. 

AA 451s pretty much everything lies, I found that a tin of Bisley Supers were OK, but I've got a sneaky feeling that the stuff I order online gets well knocked about. The best shooting pellets I've picked up at the local RFD. 

You reckon if you drop a tin all on the outside on the dropped side are fliers? Sneaking feeling.... 

I dropped a few tins. During my off week. Hahaha

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mark williams said:

I`ll bet you did`nt thoroughly clean the barrels of your rifles between each brand of pellets shot, did you ? 

Nope. 

I clean my barrels every half tin or so. I've found different barrels favour different pellets for sure, not that the stated weight of any given pellet is completely different from one to the next in each tin..

I don't think there's much to be gained from cleaning between pellets. Or over cleaning. Although by the sounds of it there's plenty of different views on this one. 

• Like 1

My HW97K .22 likes the Weirhauch pellets, H&N on the tin, not sure if they are different to standard H&N?

HW95K .177 likes AA Field Diablo in 4.52, groups superb, I have some Weirhauch in .177 4.50 but haven’t tried them yet!

Both rifles are Vortek tuned by agrtuning...

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Gaoler said:

My HW97K .22 likes the Weirhauch pellets, H&N on the tin, not sure if they are different to standard H&N?

HW95K .177 likes AA Field Diablo in 4.52, groups superb, I have some Weirhauch in .177 4.50 but haven’t tried them yet!

Try AA express 7.9 , really good pellet in most guns , either spring or pcp 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Gaoler said:

I've gotta say, although you could get really anal about this. I find AA 451s shoot best in all my under lever Rifles and 452s better in my break barrels but when you stretch out the range the difference between 8.21frains and 8.7 drains in a stated 8.4 grain tin has gotta be a group. Ruining event. 

I weight out some average 8.48 pellets in fact I weighed them all but I got to 50 weighing 8.48 the quickest I then shot those through my 97 over the Chrono and the power deviation pretty much vanished. Should save the strings really. Its fairly obvious that pellet manufactures aren't as good as we think IMHO. 

I know that comp shooters weigh their pellets, I've seen Rog Lait do a whole video on it. Like he admits.kts boring but required. 

I just wonder why we can't get closer when we are paying 14 quid a tin. I know there are match pellets but it's 2021 ffs. I'm gonna call AA and ask them WTF. Hahaha... 

3 minutes ago, villaman said:

Try AA express 7.9 , really good pellet in most guns , either spring or pcp 

Yeah I agree! Less weight to differ on. I've shot some fair old groups with them. They are tough for me to buy locally. I'm just gonna order some now I bet I drop the fing parcel 

Only seem to do 452s got a thousand to try, my new Cometa arrives any day now woop... 

Missus is thinking romantic weekend I'm thinking slotting greys after a two and a half hour zeroing session on the permission haha