Foxes; Anyone Feel They're Really Up On Their Body Language, Please?

I'm getting yards of footage, every night. Only, it's really little more than foxes turning up and eating placed bait / food for the camera. All grainy black and white.

Only, I've noticed one fox who's getting fat as a mole. 'Obviously' a vixen in cub. Fine. But, I'm now getting lost. I've had up to four in shot at one time. Who are they? Are they 'related'? Am I drawing two (or more?) different sets of foxes?

I feel some of the interactions may offer a clue. But, I haven't got one. No clue. It's pretty much all just foxes, to me ? Be a bonus to learn any more.

Bought it the day it came out, mate. But, that was back in the day, of course ? I was foaming at the mouth that this Wanker had published all this Utter Shit about how he was Empirically Showing how foxes weren't the monsters under our beds.

What he was purporting was pissing all over our Need to get out there and blow the fukk out of every single one we possibly could ~ Because.

I read it, cover to cover. Completely denied every fukking word of it. Reared up at the very mention of its title.

Then, I guess I finally just grew the fukk up! I'd happily read his book again now. Bet I'd find it absolutely fascinating. I Do remember the guy learned shit tons more about foxes than anyone who's only ever seen their eyes reflecting through a 'scope. Or stood and watched a four times heavier dog chase one down.

Oh! Time to go and feed mine now. Then, I'll have a google ;)

• Like 1

Practical experience suggests a fox will only tolerate 'family' members and usually females. Dogs are sent packing or wander to find their own territories. if you have four on a trail cam, they are less than 12 months old or they are all female maybe 2 /3 generations I would think.

• Like 1

Kes; What I'm seeing (And I'm seeing a Lot ~ of these particular foxes, that is) I'm figuring one's the vixen. And she's in cub. I can't fit them with fluorescent tags, to differentiate between them. And, if you've seen much nocturnal trail cam footage, you'd know ;)

'She' is also getting, visibly, progressively fuller. I don't think This level of gain is just down to her easy living either.

Obviously, I've viewed endless hours of foxes being foxes. It's those few, rare clips when there's more than one. Or two or more are doing something 'interesting'. Interacting beyond just being in the same clip.

This is why I grabbed that second book. The Macdonald one Is the bible of fox natural history. I'd like to swat up on that. But, it looks like the second guy has already done exactly what I'm trying to do a bit of.

Frankly? I wish I had a well grounded question to pose you. But, I'm simply not really getting much just yet that I can form into a question ? I just watch and wonder.

I have read that a pair may 'retain' a Nanny. Usually a young vixen from a previous litter? I reasoned this would be the third fox that I noticed hanging around in the same spot my usual pair clearly hole up in.

I'm also getting the impression other foxes are coming from the far end of the track. My pair come from the near left. That - and finally seeing four in one frame - got me to thinking Two lots may be now sharing the bait.

Any questions of your own? Anything You'd look out for, to better discern what's what? I've kept a couple of clips where a fox has obviously reacted to something outside of the frame. Adopted a posture. Even appeared to vocalise (As matey of the second book suggests)

Trouble is? I'm deaf and so can't hear shit! I showed a friend a badger clip. She mentioned how he was noisily smacking his lips? Damned if I can hear a thing! And I've tried!

As with most things mate you will have to follow them through the seasons to build a full picture, I used to have a fox come to my garden same time as a cat and they would spend the night taking it in turns to feed, no interaction or aggression but a tolerance created by an abundance of food ??

• Like 1

Andy's a fukking Legend, on here, Ands! More fukking binoculars than the Opticron warehouse! ? Going by your post count? Possibly a shade before your time?

Your fox there? I take it it's vocalising? Yep. Damnit! Can't hear a bloody thing! I know the sound's on because I can hear the murmur of the wind. See foxes mouth opening. Nothing! My hearing's completely fukked, see?

In fact, I'm literally sat here, explaining to someone, in an email, how I know what they're saying, on Peaky Blinders, when they talk Gypsy. I've realised I must be subconsciously listening, best I can, while reading the subtitles.

Tommy switches languages and I See plain english. But, something clicks and I realise I just caught a snatch of Gypsy. Then, I must rewind and press the speaker to my ear. Catch the actual words and agree that the translation was right.

Absolute pain in the arse, being deaf! Being talked to by half the people in the pub; Nodding your head and grinning like an idiot. Completely clueless what they're fukking on about! Anyone ever indicates they can't hear you? For gods sake, SHOUT to them! Don't just sit there, fukking repeating yourself, over and over, at the same fukking level! ?

Sorry. Private peeve of mine. Pisses me Right off!

Where were we? Andy? Hah! Wonder how many more will get it, before having to read this far? I've been sitting here in tears about it! ?

Most of my fox watching centres around the mating season .Yes i shoot them but to watch is to learn and recent years I’ve watched a fair bit .Dogs fight like hell IF they are evenly matched .Any hint of a mismatch and the weaker one submits instantly amidst a lot of keckering and tail flicking by the aggressor .I’ve seen 4 dogs going at it all at once few years back in daylight on a farm track I was walking along .The noise was what drew me to the lane .

• Like 2

I reckon I potentially have two pairs coming here now, Droplet. I remember I used to have one that would come down for a munch on the bird food I put out, last year or so. That one always came down from the other end of the track. I decided she (Dunno what made me type that. Assumption) was denning in some trees that way.

'My' ones live in another copse of trees. To the side of the track. But, the other night, I got some pretty amazing footage. Basically, 'my' two coming in, close to the grub, from their side. Then, two more, hurtling down the length of the track like fukking express trains!

So, it's my guess that one pair live in the trees here. Other pair live up in the far trees. No idea where the borders are. But, maybe such guaranteed free grub is too much to resist? Maybe I'm purely coincidentally putting the grub On the border? Dunno.

I could spend some serious money on trail cams here! Always wanting more angles. See where they go to. What they get up to there.

Oh! Excellent! You're up on fox noises? Perfect! This morning I found I'd captured a fox making a noise. Practically talking to the camera, really. See what you make of this: