Bolton Abbey Estate Cats

Fukking loonies are up in arms, again. Started some pointless fukking petition:

" Bolton Abbey Estate were taken to task recently when a walker found a dead cat in a stink pit which had been caught in a snare set in the snare traps in the Nelly Park area of the moorland estate.  The snares appeared to have been set to target foxes, but the black cat had also been killed.

However, the estate management defended the use of the traps, claiming that the cat was feral 'with no sign of identification' and could thus be legally controlled as vermin, as the area had a problem with large numbers of cats living wild, however they refused to admit that the cat had not even been scanned so could easily have been a family pet. Snares are set on grouse moors to catch foxes that prey on the game birds being reared for shooting. The poor cat and a fox were found set around a ‘stink pit' - a pile of rotting animal carcasses used as bait to lure foxes.

The estate has said, in its media statement, that the cats are feral and claimed a cull is necessary. If the cats are feral, it’s clear that a humane approach such as catching in humane, non lethal traps is needed, neutering and relocating the animals is also needed. We want the estate to engage with rescue groups and allow any feral cats to be humanely trapped by rescuers and relocated to other areas where they are wanted. "

Where they're wanted?! Where the fukking hell's That then? Lilly Allens place? FFS!

• Haha 1

Shit loads of cat colonies here in Barcelona.... Can remember my Trevor nailing them outside Camp Nou and bringing them to hand, pleased as punch with himself ?

Can you still swim at Bolton Abbey?

• Haha 1

If keepers are setting snares then they should be checking them at first light. In todays day and age leaving foxes and cats to strangle themselves and lay there for hours of daylight is stupidity. 

The areas around these moors the foxes get so hammered it's stupid. The farndale hunt disbanded due to lack of country, not because of houses or roads but because of shooting men shutting doors in their faces. I've seen packs of hounds draw all day and add blank day after blank day to their tallies. 

.....sorry if that's off topic but just no sympathy for stupid keepers that do silly things on high profile moors 

• Like 8

If the cat was on an estate and a threat to game then I think the estate had the right to kill it by any legal means. 
Some people hate cats, I don’t, but I hate how cat owners and society in general think it’s alright for cats to roam where they like, shit where they like, and kill what they like. 
I can be prosecuted for letting a dog shit in a park, but it’s okay for my neighbours cat to enter my property and shit in my kids sand pit! And I’m not allowed to let my dog course a hare, yet studies have estimated that tens of millions of birds and small mammals or killed every year by cats. Double standards, pure and simple. Rant over.

PS. anyone know where I can buy cat snares?

• Like 7
12 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

If the cat was on an estate and a threat to game then I think the estate had the right to kill it by any legal means. 
Some people hate cats, I don’t, but I hate how cat owners and society in general think it’s alright for cats to roam where they like, shit where they like, and kill what they like. 
I can be prosecuted for letting a dog shit in a park, but it’s okay for my neighbours cat to enter my property and shit in my kids sand pit! And I’m not allowed to let my dog course a hare, yet studies have estimated that tens of millions of birds and small mammals or killed every year by cats. Double standards, pure and simple. Rant over.

PS. anyone know where I can buy cat snares?

100% agree about cats. But if you work on a grouse Moor with all the pressure they are under, especially a high profile one, then leaving snares unchecked so the public, or anti fieldsports groups can find (and photograph) foxes and cats dead in snares, looking a mess with ground torn up from struggling, then you are nuts. If you have a stink pit you should be there at first light 

1 hour ago, DIDO.1 said:

If keepers are setting snares then they should be checking them at first light. In todays day and age leaving foxes and cats to strangle themselves and lay there for hours of daylight is stupidity. 

The areas around these moors the foxes get so hammered it's stupid. The farndale hunt disbanded due to lack of country, not because of houses or roads but because of shooting men shutting doors in their faces. I've seen packs of hounds draw all day and add blank day after blank day to their tallies. 

.....sorry if that's off topic but just no sympathy for stupid keepers that do silly things on high profile moors 

The cat wasn’t found in a snare it was found in the stink pit ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

The cat wasn’t found in a snare it was found in the stink pit ?

They say a dead cat is attractive to foxes, they would once bury a dead cat and set a gin trap on to of it. 

Edited by DIDO.1
  • Like 1

Curry? With chickpeas and a nice bottle of Shiraz? 8)

Naah. I'd sooner use it to test another bit of fox lore, frankly.

Might save it till I can afford another trail cam though. I'd like to keep on filming my own foxes, doing what they do. Then, train another cam on the (Buried?) cat, close by. Get to see how they react, from their usual behaviour.

• Like 1