I’ve got kennels built out of concrete blocks that I want to paint to make them a bit easier on the eye. Is it just a simple case of painting or does it need some sort of sealant first or what? Damp from washing out is an issue which I’m concerned about regarding painting.

Got a mind to tile inside block work so far to help with this but that’s another day.

Cheers

Edited by Born Hunter
Never mind. Found it online.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just about finished.  

They’re tucked away so difficult to get pics of but I did it that way for security. Bedded on insulated ply boxes. I had intentions of building fitted raised boxes in the cubby but it’s a touch t

I've seen the drain created with a glass bottle,scoop out some concrete and rub the bottle back and forth till you get a really smoot finish,looked fantastic,painted it with bitcumastic black paint,la

Posted Images

Look into chlorinated rubber,,theres a primer ;undercoat and then top coat,i used it on a vets surgery, very resistant to grime ,and water and its lasts well..a bit expensive but once done it can be topped up every time it needs it with a coat...ive only used Dulux weathershiled on mine and it  does go a bit green from the washing of the floors and water splashes ,but i just do it every year,...my mate has his tiled up 3 ft high and then painted the top section which looks good also...

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

Look into chlorinated rubber,,theres a primer ;undercoat and then top coat,i used it on a vets surgery, very resistant to grime ,and water and its lasts well..a bit expensive but once done it can be topped up every time it needs it with a coat...ive only used Dulux weathershiled on mine and it  does go a bit green from the washing of the floors and water splashes ,but i just do it every year,...my mate has his tiled up 3 ft high and then painted the top section which looks good also...

Cheers mate. This is primarily for painting the outside but I don't want damp from inside to cause the outside to flake if you get me. I might use this chlorinated rubber on the inside and just use regular sealant and emulsion on the outside. :hmm:In that case it might be worth me doing the inside first anyway...

Yeah I thought about tiling two or three blocks up just to catch most of the splash but it all comes down to cost. I'm already in pretty deep with them...

2 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

whats outside a sand and cement wall? if your using the Chlor..rubber,make sure the dogs dont get at it for a few hours afterwards ...but it dries very fast 

Just exposed block. That's part of the reason I want to paint it, for weatherproofing.

Noted, cheers. :thumbs:

on the outside id just do weathershield or good quality exterior paint,if its good enough for homes across the country its good enough for your kennels exterior...,the inside with the rubber will be unreal for the dogs and washing i reckon...i intend to do it myself once i get back to work after this lockdown..

Edited by jigsaw
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, gnipper said:

Is it big enough to be worth rendering? 

Would look nicer than painted blocks and would help with the weather protection. 

The plan originally was to render the exterior but tbh in the end I just didn't care to. I agree it'd look nicer though. Tbh its out the way and gets very little weather.

• 1 month later...
On 08/03/2021 at 15:47, jigsaw said:

on the outside id just do weathershield or good quality exterior paint,if its good enough for homes across the country its good enough for your kennels exterior...,the inside with the rubber will be unreal for the dogs and washing i reckon...i intend to do it myself once i get back to work after this lockdown..

The blocks are taking three times as much of that chlorinated rubber as the manufacturer quotes for coverage. I hope it lasts Jigsaw! :laugh:

Smartens them up heaps though. :thumbs:

And as Gnipper suggested, I'm going to render the outside and probably give it a sandstone paint.

27 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

I hope you thinned out the 1st and 2cd coat BH lol....no matter what,it will be worth the effort and expense ...great product....enjoy the painting lol

Thinned the first coat to eighty percent with xylene, yeah. Got another 5lt tin being delivered. Might go three coats.

• Like 1