last couple of weeks little dog has marked a few trees and for the life of me couldn't see anything. even told the dog to stop fxxxcking about and thought she was false marking. this week a few times I have seen squirrel run up a tree and dog has marked it, even though I know it's up there had to walk away spent ages looking but couldn't see it so no shot. as one old chap told me always trust your dog

Screenshot_20210306_122057_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Edited by fred90
  • Like 5

I know exactly what you mean. My old kelpie bitch Scout was forever finding things I couldn't see and then embarrassing me when she proved me wrong. Just like you, there were countless times when she marked a tree, I walked around it, couldn't see anything, called her away, only for the squirrel to emerge when we'd walked far enough away. I've often found that pretending I'm going to climb the tree can panic the squirrel into making a jump for it.

Two other incidents, one when she was a young pup and I saw a rat on top of the coal bins by the back door from the kitchen window. I shouted all three kelpies out into the garden, the older two, assumed it was a rat and went to where they assumed a rat would be, while Scout stood up like a kangaroo and pointed to a spot in the privet hedge. After a minute of me thinking, "Silly cow, why doesn't she just learn from the older two?" I got the torch out and sure enough it was in the middle of the hedge, six foot up, exactly where she was pointing. The other time was when she marked a deer kid in the local wood. I was adamant there was nothing there, she was adamant there was. She refused to leave the spot so I had to put her on the lead. Two hundred yards later I let her off and she disappeared. I went back to the same spot and, sure enough, she was marking the same patch of bramble again. I stared at exactly where she was pointing and suddenly saw it. It was like one of those magic eye pictures...I'd stared at that spot for ages and seen nothing but brambles and leaf litter but once I'd seen it I couldn't unsee it. I've since heard that kids are difficult for dogs to find as they give off very little scent. Not sure how true this is but she went on to find several other kids during her life.

As you say, "always trust your dog." Why have a dog and sniff yourself.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Neal said:

exactly mate? a few times she has put a rabbit out of cover, after catching it or losing it she has gone back to the same cover, me thinking it's old scent from the one before, but there as been another rabbit in there. I should not have doubted her she is 4 in May and has never false marked anything. 

• Like 1

They will just flatten themselves on a branch and sit tight, my old lurcher is much the same will just sit there staring no matter how much I’m calling him, even if I can’t see it I know he’s right ???

She definitely knows summat was up that tree Fred , top tip for you fella... when your dog marks as she did , get yourself 20 yrd further back and shoot a handful of steel at various bits of leaf , bark, twigs ect on the tree she’s marking this will keep your eye in ( practice) and 9/10 the squirrel will move and give himself away ??.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Mr Wilkes said:

good advice Mr Wilkes ?. today dog marked a tree, she then marked another one 10 yards away. couldn't see anything, I thought make your fxxxcking mind up, is it in this one or that one. took your advice and the dog was right on both. there was one in each tree?. we got em. 

Screenshot_20210314_113152_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210314_113221_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1