Every where is so built up around here now a days. Just no room. My dog all ways has his eye on me and works 30-40 yards ahead. When he was younger the amount times I would spot a fox in the distance and call him back because of roads or what ever. So now if I call him his like right what don't you want me to grab

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wales1234 said:

Same goes with stock breaking i don’t actually go out of my way to do it , there’s so many sheep here they just become part of the scenery and pups tend to pick up on older dogs not chasing , iv had the odd young dog not get back in the car at the end of a walk but tends to sort itself out 

Plays a huge part the older dogs with sheep I remember my young dog must be 35 years ago like it was yesterday. He started off towards the sheep then looked back for the old dog who going the other way. You could see the cogs turning then it thought sod it I better stick with him. Job done never looked at a sheep again 

1 hour ago, SheepChaser said:

Interesting thought ...... do people actually do like proper recall training sessions ? I’ve never really felt The need unless a problem dog, mostly they want to be around you when pups anyway and if you’re out and about doing interesting stuff they just kind of follow you abs come to you, suppose the other dogs play a big role. 

I don’t do none of that special sessions of just recall after recalling I think young dogs get board of it when young they naturally follow anyway when pups I use that as recall because there coming to you anyway it progresses to just out general walking I give the odd recall now and again on walks works a treat they soon learn what’s expected of them I won’t just call a young dog only when I want to put it on a lead pups think your taking there opportunity of fun away from them I just do random recalls people want everything all at once they think they can train it in there back gardens intensive an they think that’s good enough I don’t think it works it has to be done in the environment of distraction 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, poxon said:

I don’t do none of that special sessions of just recall after recalling I think young dogs get board of it when young they naturally follow anyway when pups I use that as recall because there coming to you anyway it progresses to just out general walking I give the odd recall now and again on walks works a treat they soon learn what’s expected of them I won’t just call a young dog only when I want to put it on a lead pups think your taking there opportunity of fun away from them I just do random recalls people want everything all at once they think they can train it in there back gardens intensive an they think that’s good enough I don’t think it works it has to be done in the environment of distraction 

I agree mate never ever practiced recall with any of my dogs not something I’ve had problems with unless keen dog slipped lead and hunts up abit but nothing stop that unless it’s got collie blood lol 

4 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

Interesting thought ...... do people actually do like proper recall training sessions ? I’ve never really felt The need unless a problem dog, mostly they want to be around you when pups anyway and if you’re out and about doing interesting stuff they just kind of follow you abs come to you, suppose the other dogs play a big role. 

Same

3 hours ago, Wales1234 said:

Same goes with stock breaking i don’t actually go out of my way to do it , there’s so many sheep here they just become part of the scenery and pups tend to pick up on older dogs not chasing , iv had the odd young dog not get back in the car at the end of a walk but tends to sort itself out 

Same

5 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Sorry I've misread the thread, I thought he was talking about retrieving. ?

I'd not long been up so excuse me. ?

Ahh your right retrieving wi another dog nocking about hard work 

Pay fecking attention next time ?