Alright lads I'm after a terrier pup prefer a patterdale or pat x will be used for ratting mainly and to go along with my lurcher on mooches out on the moor and surrounding fields I had my name down for a pup off a friend of mine but the bitch didnt take so that's that any info on up and coming litters would be really appreciated ?? cheers guys 

2 hours ago, Saltmoon said:

Alright lads I'm after a terrier pup prefer a patterdale or pat x will be used for ratting mainly and to go along with my lurcher on mooches out on the moor and surrounding fields I had my name down for a pup off a friend of mine but the bitch didnt take so that's that any info on up and coming litters would be really appreciated ?? cheers guys 

Have u tried on the bushing section ty ,you have 2 say things like ,under the sod and call a spade a banjo on this section or no one will talk 2 u 

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, Black neck said:

Have u tried on the bushing section ty ,you have 2 say things like ,under the sod and call a spade a banjo on this section or no one will talk 2 u 

Haha it seems like that but I did get offered a pup a while ago from a member on here but my work was sacking people left right and centre at the time it was start of the first lockdown so was up in the air and I didnt take the offer as didnt want to take a pup not knowing what was going to happen but job is safe and sound so on the look again. I'm not set against a busher type but see what comes ov this never know mate 

3 hours ago, Saltmoon said:

Haha it seems like that but I did get offered a pup a while ago from a member on here but my work was sacking people left right and centre at the time it was start of the first lockdown so was up in the air and I didnt take the offer as didnt want to take a pup not knowing what was going to happen but job is safe and sound so on the look again. I'm not set against a busher type but see what comes ov this never know mate 

The thing wi pats ty or fells or Russell's or even plumbers ? they have a habit of not caring that your bushing or even just on a walk ,the beggars disappear under the sod and you end up having 2 get the banjo out shifting soil throwing well back lol

Next time I'm deffo having summat that can't get 

Edited by Black neck
Sharp tooth
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Black neck said:

The thing wi pats ty or fells or Russell's or even plumbers ? they have a habit of not caring that your bushing or even just on a walk ,the beggars disappear under the sod and you end up having 2 get the banjo out shifting soil throwing well back lol

Next time I'm deffo having summat that can't get 

Makes sense but surely if taught and trained not to go to ground it would be sound? No one wants to be wipping out a banjo mid walk 

5 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

Makes sense but surely if taught and trained not to go to ground it would be sound? No one wants to be wipping out a banjo mid walk 

If its in um mate there's no training um out on it ,I got a little black fell bitch only bin worked bushing ratting and bit of bolting pipes ect ,only the other week I was having a pleasant stroll when the lurchers marked 2 ground in a old rabbit place ,anyroad 6 hours on the banjo later finally got her out in need of patching up and rest ?she 11 year old mate

• Like 2

Can't see how you teach a terrier with any go about it how not to go to ground. I had a JR that never went to ground on rabbits no matter  how large the holes but I never taught him he was just bought up ferreting and new. Any thing else he was straight in and many a pre-dinner wander went tits up and turned into a large excavation lol.

Personally now a days I would go for one of bushing types that are less inclined 

• Like 1

Arguably the most useful dog I've had was a cross bred black terrier bitch. She didn't have any amount of breeding behind her but she was the sort of terrier you could take anywhere. I got her off a mate who did a bit of all sorts with his terriers. She was a fantastic beating and rough shooting terrier, naturally steady and a retriever. Obviously lacked the endurance and strength of a spaniel making up for it with nose and thinking. She basically jibbed on earth work at about two but then some time later (three maybe) became a steady dedicated fox dog. She was never a decent earth dog but a dog as biddable and steady as her, that will still 'try' for a fox can get a lot of sport for a mooching sort of lad. Even on syndicate days, I could bring down a hedge with the bitch knocking pheasants out no more than a stone throw from me and then bolt a fox out of a place in the spinney at the bottom, walk to the next drive with her at heel and retrieve ducks off the ponds. There was just never any drama with her.

A proper earth dog just has a very different level of commitment to that job but that often comes with being a total pain in the f***ing arse and so rarely gets the free hunting that results in a multitude of opportunities a less 'well bred' terrier will.

I don't know what the trick to it is but I'd start with staying away from proper earth dogs...

Cas 1.JPG

Cas 2.jpg

• Like 16
19 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Salt just go knock on Gilbert's door and ask, he's often got a litter about

Gilbert? I think a terrier from what lads are saying sounds like a pain in the ass I like mooching about no hassle after yapping with the wife abit aswell I may look into another lurcher my one I got now limps after running hard for a while he is fine mooching about and getting a few runs in but couldn't do a full night lamping and if he did he would be limping  for a day or 2 after that it dosnt seem to hurt him but turns him stiff in the shoulder joint so may look for a bull whip smaller type lurcher 

Personally I would be inclined to skip the bull too so to speak if mine is any thing to go by lol. But maybe thats just him. I would rather a dog I need to egg on a smidge rather than a heating seeking missile that will get his nose down and tackle any thing. I want the quiet life next time

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Saltmoon said:

Gilbert? I think a terrier from what lads are saying sounds like a pain in the ass I like mooching about no hassle after yapping with the wife abit aswell I may look into another lurcher my one I got now limps after running hard for a while he is fine mooching about and getting a few runs in but couldn't do a full night lamping and if he did he would be limping  for a day or 2 after that it dosnt seem to hurt him but turns him stiff in the shoulder joint so may look for a bull whip smaller type lurcher 

He breeds black terriers. 

That's fair enough mate, other option is something like a beagle Cross 

29 minutes ago, terryd said:

Personally I would be inclined to skip the bull too so to speak if mine is any thing to go by lol. But maybe thats just him. I would rather a dog I need to egg on a smidge rather than a heating seeking missile that will get his nose down and tackle any thing. I want the quiet life next time

Haha heat seeking missile that's a grate way to explaine bull xs ? I'm a sucker for a bull x i had one before could have been a grate dog but didnt get him until he was 18 months and he was a daft psychopath with multiple personalities ? southhams hunter new the thing he hated the dog ??

• Haha 1