Working to rats

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Done loads in the past really like it would like do more but when your out with loads terriers lurchers etc the smoker and spade seem to be the thing. Like FD says bit more fired when actually at the

I used to ferret rats to dogs a lot. Not saying that I ever caught a lot of rats, but like to think that I didn't miss much when using that method, if that makes sense? Ferrets behave differently

If their young ferrets like born this year I like to give them rabbits till after the new year mind that if the older ones are still ratting if that makes sense, like has been said some seem to stick

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Guss33 said:

I can’t believe ratting is so popular around the world. Is it because the rabbit population is low or is it another sport people do. It’s something I haven’t really herd of in Australia.  

When you got plenty to go at fast exciting sport rats flying out dogs in hot pursuit some great sport 

• Like 2
On 12/03/2021 at 19:44, foxdropper said:

When I was on the mobile phone towers ,our gang had to  carry the green cards which was a heads up to a doctor if we had severe flu like symptoms .Don’t know if it’s still done that way .

I've the card here somewhere that I got when I did a few course at kill germ. Your ment to carry it in your wallet but I don't. 

• Like 1
On 27/03/2021 at 20:43, Guss33 said:

I can’t believe ratting is so popular around the world. Is it because the rabbit population is low or is it another sport people do. It’s something I haven’t really herd of in Australia.  

for me it is both hobby and work.

it did start out because i had a ferret and there where not many rabbits to hunt.

i'm still happy when i get a rabbiting job because of the change and because of the edible rabbits. 

but i still love the rat hunt. even though i hunt rats many times a week.

I've used ferrets for years on rats I use average to large Jill's I've seen a couple of ferrets banged up a bit but not much but I've seen a small Jill forced out of a hole really damaged a large Jill can get anywhere a small Jill can in a rat set but just don't seem to take as much damage 

• Like 1
On 28/03/2021 at 06:43, Guss33 said:

That's all I used to hunt as a kid growing up in Sydney, with a pack of silky/ Aust terriers and a Cairn terrier. Today I'd still rather hunt rats than pigs but love the rabbiting with ferrets and dogs.

On 04/04/2021 at 07:53, fatlad said:

I've used ferrets for years on rats I use average to large Jill's I've seen a couple of ferrets banged up a bit but not much but I've seen a small Jill forced out of a hole really damaged a large Jill can get anywhere a small Jill can in a rat set but just don't seem to take as much damage 

what do you mean with large and small size jills? at what wheight is it large and at what weigth is it small? i don't agree on the a large jill can get anywhere in a rat burrow that a large jill can get. and that would also be strange and unlogical if that was so. i breed extra small ferrets so that the ferrets can get into the smallest rat burrows where they can't dig because of roots and or stones eg. i still prefer to first use a big ferret before i start working the smaller ones. but when i know there are still rats down there that the ferrets cant reach i will use the special forces(my slender small micros) to get the rats out. just yeterday i had this happen to me. a slope full of nettels and rat burrows. the dogs clearly showed me that there where rats down there. i first worked 3 small hobs wheights of 600 till 700 grams. they treid and digged. but no rats. the dog still told me they are there. so picked up the special forces 3 jills weights 300 till 450 grams and within 5minutes one big rat bolted from the nettels grabbed by the dogs then another big rat jumped in a cage chased in there by a 350 gram albino jill. i would have missed many rats and have had frustrated dogs many times without my special forces with me.  oh in this case there was loads of bricks and such under the ground there and also loads of tree roots. and this made it impossible for the bigger ferrets to dig to the rats.

Edited by huckelberry
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, fatlad said:

I can honestly say that I have never weighed a ferret but I still say that a large Jill can get anywhere in a rat set that a tiny Jill can 

does not seem like logic to me, and also does not match with my experience. but if it works out for you that is all that matters. if however you come up to a rat burrow one day and the dogs clearly tell you that there are rats down there and your ferrts cant get them out. think of what i told you and try a smaller ferret. you might just get results then.