Working to rats

it might sound grazy but grabbing them by the tail is more dangourous then grabbing them by the head or front body. as long as they don't see your hand comming and/or can't open their mouth before you grab them and keep a firm grip on them there is no way that they can bite you. with the tail grab they can stil open their mouth .

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Done loads in the past really like it would like do more but when your out with loads terriers lurchers etc the smoker and spade seem to be the thing. Like FD says bit more fired when actually at the

I used to ferret rats to dogs a lot. Not saying that I ever caught a lot of rats, but like to think that I didn't miss much when using that method, if that makes sense? Ferrets behave differently

If their young ferrets like born this year I like to give them rabbits till after the new year mind that if the older ones are still ratting if that makes sense, like has been said some seem to stick

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, huckelberry said:

oh and grabbing the tail also is a way of losing the rat and holding just the skin of the tail tip in your hand. they seem to be able to let the tail skin slip of something a bit like a lizzard.

The skin on the tail coming away would probably be from mange ?... less chance of piss being on the head than the tail though so more method in your madness ?

Edited by eastcoast

Yes, my old albino jill was a brilliant ratting ferret. Unfortunately she died last summer, my tiny sandy jill would be perfect but she’s very hit n miss on them. She will work them but on her terms. Hob is way too big and Iv not tried my other sandy jill yet. Never made my ferrets aggressive, they can be a bit jumpy when you pick them up after they’ve killed a rat but that’s it.

• Like 1
On 15/03/2021 at 01:07, huckelberry said:

oh and grabbing the tail also is a way of losing the rat and holding just the skin of the tail tip in your hand. they seem to be able to let the tail skin slip of something a bit like a lizzard.

I reckon you're a brave man, most of the hero pig hunters over here would be crying if a rat ran up their leg, lol.