Working to rats

On 07/03/2021 at 19:37, gnipper said:

I'd rather risk a nip off a ferret thats been chewing pigeons than rats.

ive head loads of nips from ferrets that had just been chewing rats and i've also been bitten about 16x by rats themselves.(but caught about 600 rats bare handed) i always carry around some choorhexidrine to treath rat bites and such, and so far no problems. only with the ferrets i had a few absecces after a rat bite. i'm not that much afraid of rat infections after all that i've done. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Done loads in the past really like it would like do more but when your out with loads terriers lurchers etc the smoker and spade seem to be the thing. Like FD says bit more fired when actually at the

I used to ferret rats to dogs a lot. Not saying that I ever caught a lot of rats, but like to think that I didn't miss much when using that method, if that makes sense? Ferrets behave differently

If their young ferrets like born this year I like to give them rabbits till after the new year mind that if the older ones are still ratting if that makes sense, like has been said some seem to stick

Posted Images

On 05/03/2021 at 19:49, Lee farrington said:

I've been asked a few times to do it, up till now I've not really been interested.  Over the last couple of weeks I've been thinking about.  May sound a silly question, but  has anyone fed the ferrets the rats 

does not sound silly to me, they catch their own food here. and eat rats most of the time. 

2019-12-30 17.22.53.jpg

• Like 1
On 05/03/2021 at 20:44, Guss33 said:

I have never feed my ferrets rats but from time to time I get mice in my garage so I close all the doors and let the ferrets go for them they love it and do often have a feed. But I am not keen on the rat side of things.  

My grandfather died from the disease's that comes from rats piss in 1976 fishing on our local lake that was covered in rats. A South African doctor had to come over to diagnose him and ended up having a closed casket made from led. Bad old things them rats to me and my family that's why I say there bad luck 

Edited by Bangersanmash
1 hour ago, baker boy said:

Weils disease ?

It's crazy because my grandfather & great grandfather used to get rid of  rats on a local pig farm good few years they did that with the terriers an ferrets. It looks like the rats had the last laugh though pal. My grandfather was a big old lump of a man pro rugby league player for Bradford northern back in the day. Went from 16 17 stone to 8 9 stone in two weeks like having  cancer bed ridden he was. My old man's never been fishing since I do like love the hobby and hope my grandfather would approve ?

Edited by Bangersanmash

Wiels disease seems to be bit of lottery. You read about people dying from it who have only been rowing on a river or fishing as has been sadly mentioned here, yet some of us who have been in far more contact with rats and live with ratting dogs never get it. Not yet anyway but only catch the occasional one or two these days. 

I occasionally need to action things on sites when lads report seeing rats and carry out tool box talks on the dangers. Always feel a bit of an hypocrite as I have done and sometimes still do break all rules and advice that I give.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, foxdropper said:

When I was on the mobile phone towers ,our gang had to  carry the green cards which was a heads up to a doctor if we had severe flu like symptoms .Don’t know if it’s still done that way .

Rat cards still in use, we had to carry them when I was cable laying and fibre splicing ?

On 12/03/2021 at 08:47, huckelberry said:

caught loads of them bare handed. filming them while catcing them. well that i managed only one time

Go talk to a professional,FFS there's something wrong with you lol....fair fucks your a braver man than I