Hare coursing in Europe??

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aye coypu. Best parts of the trip were the travel, f***ing about with coypu on the river bank, lamping roe in France abs getting lost. Smuggling some supplies through customs which made the whole thin

They eaten them all

Yep pretty much that. What always made me ? was lads sitting on the bus in town with terriers, spades etc off to or coming home from digging Brock

Posted Images

3 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Isn't racing popular in Holland ?

I seem to remember seeing whippets, afghans, borzoi, etc being raced.

I know people who have sent whippets and Deerhounds over there.

Shame about the hunting and coursing, though.

Cheers.

It was , but not the numbers like we had in the past. Still some hunting is done with lurchers , mostly by travellers.Secrecy is the keyword here.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, TOMO said:

normally you can't shut him up greb...one sentence about living there and then nothing...

Thought it best to leave it to the other experts to have their shot lol. 

Also having a bad work day.

Only really saw hares in Hungary, lots and lots of them. They are their own greyhound type thing the Magyar agar. They also don’t it with other stuff like bulls, they also hunt foxes. 

The ground is vast, vast vast vast. I went with locals so don’t know what the score is but was very relaxed. Hares aren’t really my thing, I was more interested in the foxes and martins. 

There are a few places I’d like to go back to, to hunt. Serbia, Montenegro etc. Slovakia was good in the mountains of the high Tatras. Lots and lots of deer. I was living there last and was in process of looking shipping dogs over and then met a girl and moved back lol

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Thought it best to leave it to the other experts to have their shot lol. 

Also having a bad work day.

Only really saw hares in Hungary, lots and lots of them. They are their own greyhound type thing the Magyar agar. They also don’t it with other stuff like bulls, they also hunt foxes. 

The ground is vast, vast vast vast. I went with locals so don’t know what the score is but was very relaxed. Hares aren’t really my thing, I was more interested in the foxes and martins. 

There are a few places I’d like to go back to, to hunt. Serbia, Montenegro etc. Slovakia was good in the mountains of the high Tatras. Lots and lots of deer. I was living there last and was in process of looking shipping dogs over and then met a girl and moved back lol

I saw a martin at the seaside in Poland, quite a nice surprise that. 

It's the same over there, the land is vast and very secluded. 

You could walk that land all day with a good lurcher and run hares to your heart's content. 

1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

I saw a martin at the seaside in Poland, quite a nice surprise that. 

It's the same over there, the land is vast and very secluded. 

You could walk that land all day with a good lurcher and run hares to your heart's content. 

Yep pretty much that. What always made me ? was lads sitting on the bus in town with terriers, spades etc off to or coming home from digging Brock

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I hunted jags with a few men from Serbia when they were here.Did you see any jags work when you were over there? 

33 minutes ago, Rickshaw swami said:

I hunted jags with a few men from Serbia when they were here.Did you see any jags work when you were over there? 

They are real keen on those and teckles, both below and above - those two breeds, fox terriers and Russel’s seemed most commonly kept terrier breeds 

• Thanks 1

It's all about the running for me, if hares are run hard by dogs then the population will only get stronger. 

Those continental hares will barely have any predators once they've reached maturity. 

6 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

On the other hand surely it's at the point where a good dog will catch a good hare, even the best of hares will now be caught? 

The real strong fit hares don’t get caught greb some are that strong

1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

The real strong fit hares don’t get caught greb some are that strong

Is that true though these days with the best of high percentage saluki crosses on the big land. 

Fair enough hares can reach cover and go to ground but are the best of hares capable of running the best of dogs to a standstill on open fields without the need of finding cover? 

Edited by Greb147
18 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

They are real keen on those and teckles, both below and above - those two breeds, fox terriers and Russel’s seemed most commonly kept terrier breeds 

I went to the 2019 Jagd & Hund show/exhibition in Germany and 99% of the dogs there were Teckles, Jagds or some sort of HPR. The exhibition seemed to be dominated by 'BDS' types though. My little black dog would have been dwarfed by much of what was there which suggested to me most of them were not earth dogs.

1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

I went to the 2019 Jagd & Hund show/exhibition in Germany and 99% of the dogs there were Teckles, Jagds or some sort of HPR. The exhibition seemed to be dominated by 'BDS' types though. My little black dog would have been dwarfed by much of what was there which suggested to me most of them were not earth dogs.

Boar hunting and general driven gem hunting seems to be their main job