Am I going wrong?

I found caught more rabbits going through fence lines or hedges, put a wire tunnel over run and let rabbits get used to going through them for a week or two. then set fenn. caught quite a few that way. Either that or use cage traps. If rabbits are a nuisance then pest control a must .If your just getting a few for the pot then decent air rifle and some time waiting for them to appear

8 hours ago, Staffy1 said:

I found caught more rabbits going through fence lines or hedges, put a wire tunnel over run and let rabbits get used to going through them for a week or two. then set fenn. caught quite a few that way. Either that or use cage traps. If rabbits are a nuisance then pest control a must .If your just getting a few for the pot then decent air rifle and some time waiting for them to appear

Thanks, I'm on to that, I've put some old slate tiles over runs under fence.

How big does a 'tunnel' need to be (legally)?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Suffolkpest said:

Keep the tunnels the proper dimentions to suit the trap. This is important, and to not take this into account, may result in foul catches, and/or misses. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/02/2021 at 08:06, DIDO.1 said:

Do these rabbits really need catching? Is it a nessssary pest control job? If so find a way to control them that's more effective. Ferret em, snare em, shoot em. If you are doing it just for the interest in trapping then buy a couple of bodygrips. They will make you think more and improve you skills as a trapper....and any rabbit that does trip your trap will die quicker than fecking fenns. 

There's always a better option than a fenn

Well, the fenns were slow going so I've taken your advice and bought some body grips (116).

Any advice on using them/where to set them?

13 minutes ago, Suffolkpest said:

Well, the fenns were slow going so I've taken your advice and bought some body grips (116).

Any advice on using them/where to set them?

I've not caught many rabbits in them but I know others have so I'm sure someone will help. I'll find some pics of my bodygrips that I was setting for squirrels 

On 28/02/2021 at 07:25, Suffolkpest said:

Depends on trap , usually a tiny bit bigger than trap. Make it too high rabbit will jump as trap springs and you wont get a clean kill/catch.  Fenn traps will jump a inch or so when they go off . Tunnel length the longer the safer for non targets , think of a larger animal or person trying to put hand or paw down tunnel and make it a bit longer so they cant reach trap. Use a couple of sticks or similar and restrict  entrance just wide enough for rabbit to enter but nothing bigger

Edited by Staffy1
Tap tunnel length
  • Like 1